Old 04-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
South East , Arkansas
Making a Rock Guard for '73 Argosy

Hello fellow Airstreamers,
Long time since I've been on here as we have justed completed a full home reno. Getting our second wind now maybe & vtime to get back to our Argosy reno.
At this time we are researching different types of rock guards. Went to Home Depot where we looked at flooring & got an idea when we saw a vinyl/rubber type garage flooring. It came in Grey or sliver diamonplate, round raised circles, and multi pebble look. My first thought was it might be nice on the floor but then I thought; as thick as it is & flexible it might work well as a rock guard if affixed to a closed cell foam mat. Especially the diamonplate look. ??? We want to do this right & look nice also. Any and all advice & suggestion are very welcome.
Thanks

Old 04-19-2014, 12:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Tin View Post
Hello fellow Airstreamers,
Long time since I've been on here as we have justed completed a full home reno. Getting our second wind now maybe & vtime to get back to our Argosy reno.
At this time we are researching different types of rock guards. Went to Home Depot where we looked at flooring & got an idea when we saw a vinyl/rubber type garage flooring. It came in Grey or sliver diamonplate, round raised circles, and multi pebble look. My first thought was it might be nice on the floor but then I thought; as thick as it is & flexible it might work well as a rock guard if affixed to a closed cell foam mat. Especially the diamonplate look. ??? We want to do this right & look nice also. Any and all advice & suggestion are very welcome.
Thanks
It would be rather difficult to create a rockguard that looks better than the one made by Airstream.

Andy

Old 04-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
South East , Arkansas
Thanks I'm sure you are correct. Just not willing to put out that much $$$$ no more than we will use it.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
South East , Arkansas
Also considering using metal Diamonplate curved around side windows with closed cell foam back to protect the paint. ???
Old 04-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hi 2Tin,

There are several threads on the subject of self made ( notice I did not say homemade) rock guards that are both creative and cleaver. The factory units are made to fit but I would not say that they are better. True craftsmanship far outweighs an off the shelf bolt on item if done well IMO.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Our Argosy came with a vinyl cover for the front windows. It was white vinyl, with a soft felt-like backing, and had the word ARGOSY in the center in black. There were snaps on the trailer, and matching snaps on the cover.
I checked with a couple of sail makers, as well as a sign place, and got quotes of about a third of the cost of the three piece guard.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
South East , Arkansas
I have seen some very clever ideas on here & I agree that one can be made with good quality & looks. I have not seen one with "Argosy" on it though. Neat!! Sail cloth, foam & a thick plastic with snaps are an idea my husband favors. I tend to favor metal Diamond plate with foam cushion on back bent to curve around side windows at a metal shop. (Then again the glare from the rearview mirror would give us headaches probably! Ha!) Maybe black Diamond Plate???

Thanks to all & hope you have a Beautiful Easter!!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Lots of possibilities... regardless PROTECT THE WINDOW, the pano windows are expensive to replace. I have seen an Argosy on a regular basis that has the soft style cover put on with snaps. My Airstreams have the factory lexan/aluminum type protector. The only advantage is that it can be used as a sun shade.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Here is a thread on the one I made. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ds-105764.html
Old 04-21-2014, 05:09 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
South East , Arkansas
Thanks all. Great ideas here. The pebbly fiberglass board like used in showers was exactly the idea my husband had in combo with the closed cell foam & encasing it in sail cloth affixed with snaps.
Yes, I so agree about protecting those windows. We have Log trucks throwing big rocks down South !! Our windows on cars suffer big time.