Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
Magic Chef Model #727 Oven Keep or Boat anchor?

After 2 years of no oven and chasing suppliers guessing what I need, I wonder if I am crazy to try to keep this oven. Its in good shape, has been powder coated, 4 burners work, oven does not. What do you think? I would just remove and replace parts to have clean parts if they were available. Has anyone done so? The inner oven parts are covered with rust.
Regards,
Randy
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
It does take a while until the pilot lights - I use a BBQ lighter and kneel down to see that the pilot is lit. After that it can take about 60 seconds until the burner lights. According to a gas tech I know, that is considered normal.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Harrison Hot Springs , British Columbia
I have one in my 1970 land yacht, and it's great! You will be hard pressed to find a better stove/oven of such quality. Just clean your rusty parts with solvent/steel wool/wire brush etc. Don't clean the enamel this way, use an oven cleaner.

Be sure that the pilot light/flute/sensors are working well.

My oven has a gas valve under the burners, you need to open this and light the pilot light. Once the pilot is on, you have to turn the oven on to 300. This allows the gas to flow to the oven burner. Should work.

BUT, above all else be sure you have no gas leaks. You need to inspect the oven carefully or have a gas oven man look at the unit.
Ribbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbler View Post
My oven has a gas valve under the burners, you need to open this and light the pilot light. Once the pilot is on, you have to turn the oven on to 300. This allows the gas to flow to the oven burner. Should work.
The gas valve under the burners is for the burners only on my stove. The oven valve has a pilot position, and after that you turn it to the desired temperature. It is fairly accurate - my wife baked some goodies and they came out just fine.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I love my Original Magic chef from 1968. I couldn't get it to work right at first and the local RV go told me to dump it, as I couldn't get parts for it. Well he didn't know s**t
It's all manual so all it has is a pilot light. Anyway after I cleaned it all and blow it out it works perfect. In Fact I'm cooking white castle burgers and fries in it right know... plus it's big enough to cook a turkey in it.

Keep the old stuff it 's better than the new.....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I loved my '64 Magic Chef, oven worked like a dream, now I need a thermostat.. I did initially have problems with the pilot not lighting, but I undid the pilot tube, sent some thinner down it with compressed air, cleaned it out and it worked like a dream