Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Packwood , Washington
Lower Belt detaching on Safari 2007 Trailer

Hi, We just purchased a 2007 Safari 75th special addition. Pulled it from Tucson to NW Washington and went through 4 snowstorms, one blizzard and lots of elevation changes. Long story short, all of the lower belt trim (not sure if that is the proper nomenclature, but it appears this trim covers where panels are secured) has essentially fallen off. It appears it had been attached with a silicone sealer type bead and I suppose the temperature change plus age caused it to lose its grip.
Does anyone know what the factory method of attaching was (is)? Should I just use the Parrbond to re-attach all of it?
Any other suggestions? Nail gun (just kidding)
Cgmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Hobo

2006 25' Safari
Florence , Oregon
I purchased my 06 Safari in Phoenix this winter and had the same problem. I fixed it easily with 3-M Automotive Trim adhesive. I made the repair before leaving Phoenix and after arriving home in Oregon it was just fine. You can get the stuff at any automotive parts store.
voremus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Packwood , Washington
Hey thanks. I will get the 3M product and re-attach the trim! Appreciate the prompt response
Cgmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I also had this problem with my '08, only they were the short sections on the stone shields and they simply disappeared between A and B on a rainy day. I found that Inland RV stocks and sells the stuff by the foot and thoroughly cleaned the aluminum channel with alcohol before installing. They've been good since. I had 0 luck trying to get it from the local trim and body shops. What they had was either too wide or narrow for the channel.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There are two types of late model Airstreams: The ones that trim strip has fallen off, and the ones it will fall off.
Usually, by the time the strip starts falling off, it looks faded and grey anyway, and you can get replacement strips from your dealer. If the strips still look good, and there are only a couple of places falling off, you can use the 3M super weatherstrip adhesive, in black. The yellow stuff just looks bad if it oozes out from behind the strip. If you use the 3M stuff, be aware it is a type of contact cement. Apply it to both the strip and the rub rail, wait for it to "tack up", then put the two parts together. A couple of pieces of painter's tape across the rub rail/chrome strip until it stays is a good idea.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I'v used 3M VHB with very good results on two sections of the lower belt molding on our Classic. Both surfaces must be clean! Single roll was available on Amazon.

Bob
Old 04-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
South Western , Pennsylvania
I've been following a blog entitled "The Long Long Honeymoon" by Sean Michael.
He had problems with the trim on his unit and made a short video on how they corrected the problem. Here's the link the video.
LongLongHoneymoon.com | Videos, tips & information for travelers. » Blog Archive » VIDEO: Liv’s Sad Trim
LivLoveLaugh is offline   Reply With Quote