Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Alexandria , Virginia
Lost Running Lights Mid-Drive

2018 Tommy Bahama 19

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/factory tow

90 miles into a 200 mile drive I lost my rear monitor connection. Looked out to see no running lights.

Checked 7 pin connector...ok.

Checked TV fuses...ok.

Brakes and turn signals work.

Ideas?
LiveStreamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Running Lights are on a different wire. Turn signals double as brake lights. Running lights are the same wire as tail lights. Do tail lights work?

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Alexandria , Virginia
Tail lights are not working either.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Do you have vehicle lights set to auto? Try setting them to always on. They can turn on and off on auto and it triggers the running lights
Old 05-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveStreamn View Post
Checked 7 pin connector...ok.
I assume you checked the 7 pin on the tow vehicle? How?
The tail/running lights is the brown wire in the harness.
Can you get access to the trailer harness to see if the juice is getting there?
Also, make sure the plug is firmly seated in the receptacle. Mine was latched, but nothing worked until I gave it a firm wiggle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ae5287d2127396871351c0fca3320f3d.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	312069  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Nice drawing. All those connections have to be clean. I use a small file to touch them up periodically. Confirm operation with a circuit tester on the Jeep end first. Jim
Old 05-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Check al your grounds
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Unplug & spray some WD40 on the connectors.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Is there a fuse in the trailer for running lights?
My ‘77 has fuses in the trailer for the running and brake lights, not sure if the new ones have the same.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Truck lights

This happens on our RAM if the headlights are set on auto. The trailer lights work as long as the headlights are on. But if the environment lightens, the headlights turn off and take the trailer runners with them. Setting our TV light to ON works.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #11
Classy Roscoe

Don’t know about Jeep products, but you mentioned “factory tow”. I will assume that means not only factory town at fowpulling trailers, but also brake controller and tail and clearance lighting.

If this a good assumption, check under the hood for a fuse box that contains a set of slave relays that work the trailer lighting. There is usually a set of fuses for turn signals, backup lights and tail and clearance lights. You may have a blown fuse for tail&clearance lighting.

This setup is the same in FoMoCo carry all vehicles. Also, slide back the hood cover on the 7-way plug. The screws that’s retain the wiring have a bad habit of becoming loose. Ground wire especially because it is the center contact and uses a little set screw.

Hope this helps.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Alexandria , Virginia
Update. Got into the fuse box and pulled the fuse for the tow taillights. It was 20 amp. Of course no 20 amp to be found. Threw a 30 on it and it lit up like a Christmas tree...then after 30 seconds no lights.

So a short somewhere I think. No idea where.

How do you go about popping the cover off the seven pic connector?
Old 06-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #13
Classy Roscoe

The 7 way has two screws. One is large flat blade screw with captures the wire from the trailer to the 7 way plug. Back it off far enough such that the wire is movable. Slide back and fourth into the body of the 7-way connector.

Careful not to back it off to far or it will fall out and bounce and roll to a point mid way under the trailer of Jeep so you can crawl under the vehicle to get it

Next, look on the body of the 7-way connector itself. There is a very small little screw on the blade connection end. That screw needs to be taken out, Phillips head,, completely.

Warning, that screw will not just bounce under the vehicle, but will shape shift into another universe never to be seen by human eyes again.

Now slide the connecting wire toward the end you just took the small screw out of. The entire guts of the connector will be exposed.

Bet you a cup of coffee that a wire is shorting out against another and causing the fuse to blow.

There may only be a little stray strand of wire otherwise it will be completely loose.

Put it back where it is missing and button everything back in place, after you found the screws that bounced away.

While your in that housing, tighten up any other screws on the 7-way that may also be thinking of coming lose.

I usually put a shop towel under where I am working to catch the little buggers to slow down their escapes.

Hope this helps.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerrville View Post
The 7 way has two screws. One is large flat blade screw with captures the wire from the trailer to the 7 way plug. Back it off far enough such that the wire is movable. Slide back and fourth into the body of the 7-way connector.

Careful not to back it off to far or it will fall out and bounce and roll to a point mid way under the trailer of Jeep so you can crawl under the vehicle to get it

Next, look on the body of the 7-way connector itself. There is a very small little screw on the blade connection end. That screw needs to be taken out, Phillips head,, completely.

Warning, that screw will not just bounce under the vehicle, but will shape shift into another universe never to be seen by human eyes again.

Now slide the connecting wire toward the end you just took the small screw out of. The entire guts of the connector will be exposed.

Bet you a cup of coffee that a wire is shorting out against another and causing the fuse to blow.

There may only be a little stray strand of wire otherwise it will be completely loose.

Put it back where it is missing and button everything back in place, after you found the screws that bounced away.

While your in that housing, tighten up any other screws on the 7-way that may also be thinking of coming lose.

I usually put a shop towel under where I am working to catch the little buggers to slow down their escapes.

Hope this helps.

I love the satire...keep it coming.

The factory 7 pin has no screws...but the new one I put on does. Now I am trying to figure out which wire does what as the schematics don’t match.