Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 75
Lost Key means DOOM!!

DOOM! That is what is staring me in the face. I can cope with bent axles, crushed windows, filthy floors and rotten tires.
BUT.....I have lost the last key I had for the little water fill cap on a 1988 Ecella 1000 29'. You know the key: the little flat grey one. The one it is impossible to see in crushed rock. The one that creeps under grass blades and hides. The one a gopher probably snatched as soon as it hit hte ground.
Where oh where my friends am I ever going to find a funny little flat key like that??
__________________

Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
myboyburt's Avatar
 
1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,708
Images: 12
Blog Entries: 7
Is this it?

Water Fill Key WF-01 - $5.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart
__________________

__________________
Michelle & Leon
New England Unit

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
richinny's Avatar
 
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,122
got a magnet?
__________________
Ricky
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
gunnyusmc
 
Gunnyusmc's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 436
Images: 69
Lost Key

You can get too the lock from the inside behind the filler door. Remove the lock and make a trip too the locksmith.

Gunny
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
overlander63's Avatar

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
got a magnet?
Most keys are either brass or aluminum, and are non-magnetic. Plan B would be an economy-sized jug of Roundup to kill the grass so she can see the key...If it's not in the gravel.
Plan C would be to tell the neighbor kid if he finds it for you, you'll give him a bag of cookies.
__________________
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
DEITZ645's Avatar
 
2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,313
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt View Post
Myboyburt,
From the description I think it is more like this one...


KEY DECO 31-8190 - $4.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart

Which is just like the one for our 87 Excella.

There have been a rash of those water fill door keys that have gone missing here in the forum. I recall at least three forum members looking for that exact same key. Are the keys having a revolt
__________________
Carl, Elaine & Finn The Beagle
2006 30' Classic W Slide & Limited Package Katarina
2006 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab 8' Bed
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
bullydogsmom's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
Yep the key is 4.95 but they want $16.37 to ship it! That was USPS. More if they ship it UPS. Whats the world coming to? It only cost 41 cents for a stamp.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
DEITZ645's Avatar
 
2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,313
Images: 10
There may be another option, I did a quick Google search for "deco keys" and found...

Replacement Keys, Deco, Hrud

My key has a #1 stamped on it so it would be the $6.72 set. It looks as if the shipping is $5.00 unless you spend more than $10.00. so even though the key set it a bit more expensive than Out Of Doors Mart you can get two (one to put in a safe place) for almost $10.00 cheaper.

Seeing how theys keys are getting lost at an alarming rate, I may just have to buy a set to put in the safety deposit box.
__________________
Carl, Elaine & Finn The Beagle
2006 30' Classic W Slide & Limited Package Katarina
2006 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab 8' Bed
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,792
SIMPLE AND EASY and local

Take a picture of the one you are thinking about ordering, go down to your friendly local locksmithing kiosk and ask if they have one in stock. It's a factory pre-cut. Most of those locks CAN be opened by diddling around with a bobby pin. You may even find that a standard desk or file drawer key - or for that matter the key to your daughter's jewelry box or diary will work.

As Airstreamers we are very lucky in one respect. We can save a lot of the cost of having keys made by taking the A/S to the locksmith. The biggest benefit is that you get to test the fit of every key made. Saves time and frustration. Another benefit? We have a key making machine at our Mail Depot business... and I remember one nightmare experience. I made a key that seemed to be a perfect match for the customer's ignition key. It opened his door, he put it in the ignition... and the ignition wouldn't turn... and the key wouldn't come back out of the ignition. After 15 minutes of sweating and trying the obvious stuff like dry silicone lubricant I called a locksmith and paid him to remove the key (which the man did with a big pair of pliers and main force - better him than me trying that!) Refunded the key charge, paid the locksmith $75 and HE made a working duplicate using OUR blank and OUR machine.

It's quite possible to have a good locksmith replace locks so that every external lock except the door is keyed the same.

Paula
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
 
elolson's Avatar
 
2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 375
I came home after a trip one time and threw my entire set of keys to my excella in the trash. I mean all of them, every lock on the whole thing. I feel for you.

Any airstream dealership can replace that key, the waterfiller cap one is only a few dollars. Oasis did all of mine.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #11
Moderator
Commercial Member
 
eubank's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
1999 31' Land Yacht
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,668
Hey, replacing an Airstream key is the easy and inexpensive part. Just don't lose your modern vehicle key! I lost the keys to our Ford during the winter. Ok, it's one of those electronic doo-dads, no big deal, just go to Ford and get a new one made. And Ford gladly replaced the key.

FOR 128 BUCKS!!

Lynn
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
heybeep's Avatar
 
1995 25' Excella
Blandford , Massachusetts
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 34
Airstream Keys

Perhaps it was just dumb luck, but another Airstreamer in the park in Maine that we keep our 96 Excella had forgotten his keys for all the compartments. Our keys worked on his (80's?) Sovereighn. Try someone else's. If it works have copies made for pennies.

P.S. Another dirty little secret is that all older EZ-Go Golf Carts use the same key.
__________________
Bruce Paterson
heybeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
DEITZ645's Avatar
 
2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,313
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Hey, replacing an Airstream key is the easy and inexpensive part. Just don't lose your modern vehicle key! I lost the keys to our Ford during the winter. Ok, it's one of those electronic doo-dads, no big deal, just go to Ford and get a new one made. And Ford gladly replaced the key.

FOR 128 BUCKS!!

Lynn
Anybody remember the good ole days when the dimmer switch was on the floor and to start a vehicle you turned the key and then stepped on a button on the floor to actually start the engine???
__________________
Carl, Elaine & Finn The Beagle
2006 30' Classic W Slide & Limited Package Katarina
2006 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab 8' Bed
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
bullydogsmom's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
Anybody remember the good ole days when the dimmer switch was on the floor and to start a vehicle you turned the key and then stepped on a button on the floor to actually start the engine???

My 59 corvette will start with no key in the ignition as long as you don't turn it to the lock position before you take out the key.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #15
Moderator
Commercial Member
 
eubank's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
1999 31' Land Yacht
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
Anybody remember the good ole days when the dimmer switch was on the floor and to start a vehicle you turned the key and then stepped on a button on the floor to actually start the engine???
Hey, that's still how I start our tractor, a 1948 Ford 8N. Of course, you never take the key out. And if you do, you just reach for the ignition wires sticking out in plain site and stick them together -- and then push the big button.


Lynn
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master
 
DEITZ645's Avatar
 
2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,313
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogsmom View Post
My 59 corvette will start with no key in the ignition as long as you don't turn it to the lock position before you take out the key.

Annette
I had a '71 Monte Carlo SS where the keys were so wornd down you could start the car and with it running, remove the key .

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Hey, that's still how I start our tractor, a 1948 Ford 8N. Of course, you never take the key out. And if you do, you just reach for the ignition wires sticking out in plain site and stick them together -- and then push the big button.


Lynn
My relatives in NC have an old Ford 8N, I love that tractor. Where we keep our '87 Excella at Penn Wood Airstream Park we have an old Ferguson (Before they joined up with Massey) and I always make an excuse to take it out for a spin. The Ferguson could be a twin to the 8N.

I always loved trying to mess with a manual choke, push the starter button, and mess with the throttle to get a cantankerous cold motor running
__________________
Carl, Elaine & Finn The Beagle
2006 30' Classic W Slide & Limited Package Katarina
2006 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab 8' Bed
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Crusty's Avatar
 
1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 562
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Hey, replacing an Airstream key is the easy and inexpensive part. Just don't lose your modern vehicle key! I lost the keys to our Ford during the winter. Ok, it's one of those electronic doo-dads, no big deal, just go to Ford and get a new one made. And Ford gladly replaced the key.

FOR 128 BUCKS!!

Lynn
And if you wear out your remote for a Nissan, you have to buy a new remote and the dealership charges over $100 to program it to your vehicle.

That is until a disgruntled Nissan employee released the secret procedure to the internet, which consists of putting the ignition key rapidly in and out of the lock several times then pushing the button on the remote and then another button. Sheesh they're charging a lot of money for that.
__________________
Crusty
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Lake Travis, TX
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Dan@LED4RV's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 722
Shipping prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogsmom View Post
Yep the key is 4.95 but they want $16.37 to ship it! That was USPS. More if they ship it UPS. Whats the world coming to? It only cost 41 cents for a stamp.

Annette
I feel the need to explain Out-of-Doors Mart shipping policies as this thread may give folks the wrong impression.

Our shipping policy in-short is, "we charge what they charge, plus $3.00". If you purchase something from our on-line store and I can ship it a cheaper way, I will do so and pass the savings back to you. I have done this many times. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten replys to my emails because people have been amazed at getting a refund.

Our shopping cart is set a little high for some items and for U S Mail. The reason being is UPS does a better job for most items we ship, and over all customer satisfaction is higher.

I had one guy ask, "why don't you fix it. Other sites give an accurate shipping total." Ours gives them too for 95% of all orders. And those other sites don't sell 4 cent items . They either sell big ticket items or nothing at all.

Out-of-Doors Mart has been around longer than any other Airstream dealership in world. It has been the opinion of management that when people buy from you, you need to service what you sell. WE ARE SELLING PARTS FOR THE PRODUCTS WE HAVE SOLD. And we are doing it on-line with a very high rate of customer satisfaction, and we are #1 in Airstream Parts sales. And I am personaly proud to be a member of this team.

So, if you are getting a high shipping rate on our on-line store, just put Best way in the comments at check out, and we will send it the cheapest way. I will refund the overage.

Once again, THANK YOU all for helping Out-of-Doors Mart be #1 in Airstream Parts sales.

Dan
__________________
Dan Brown
Denton NC
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4odm View Post
I feel the need to explain Out-of-Doors Mart shipping policies as this thread may give folks the wrong impression.

Our shipping policy in-short is, "we charge what they charge, plus $3.00". If you purchase something from our on-line store and I can ship it a cheaper way, I will do so and pass the savings back to you. I have done this many times. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten replys to my emails because people have been amazed at getting a refund.

Our shopping cart is set a little high for some items and for U S Mail. The reason being is UPS does a better job for most items we ship, and over all customer satisfaction is higher.

I had one guy ask, "why don't you fix it. Other sites give an accurate shipping total." Ours gives them too for 95% of all orders. And those other sites don't sell 4 cent items . They either sell big ticket items or nothing at all.

Out-of-Doors Mart has been around longer than any other Airstream dealership in world. It has been the opinion of management that when people buy from you, you need to service what you sell. WE ARE SELLING PARTS FOR THE PRODUCTS WE HAVE SOLD. And we are doing it on-line with a very high rate of customer satisfaction, and we are #1 in Airstream Parts sales. And I am personaly proud to be a member of this team.

So, if you are getting a high shipping rate on our on-line store, just put Best way in the comments at check out, and we will send it the cheapest way. I will refund the overage.

Once again, THANK YOU all for helping Out-of-Doors Mart be #1 in Airstream Parts sales.

Dan
I have ordered several times from Out of Doors Mart and Dan has called me to offer different shipping methods which would save cost. He does step of his way to make sure that the customer is satisfied.

Bill
__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
myboyburt's Avatar
 
1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,708
Images: 12
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
I have ordered several times from Out of Doors Mart and Dan has called me to offer different shipping methods which would save cost. He does step of his way to make sure that the customer is satisfied.

Bill
Ditto for me. But Dan and I communicated via email. I highly recommend this Airstream Dealer.
__________________

__________________
Michelle & Leon
New England Unit

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vote on lost key return service 66TradeWind Community Polls 12 05-01-2009 11:28 AM
Today's today, You know what that means? codybear Off Topic Forum 20 11-09-2006 12:31 AM
Lost the Only Key - Please help Alumin8 Doors & Locks 9 07-29-2006 04:37 PM
All this doom and gloom about oil prices??? Pick On The Road... 95 09-05-2005 11:47 AM
Need Key Diablo Doors & Locks 8 02-03-2004 05:10 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.