Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Simi Valley , California
Losing fresh water

The past 4-5 trips I fill the fresh water tank prior to taking off. I fill it until it starts to run out the vent hole.
Inside the monitor says it's full.
Once I get to my destination it's, at least, half gone. I believe the monitor to be accurate as the water we use (i.e. what's available) goes fast and empties--meaning very little water is in the tank.
When the trailer is sitting, before, during or after the trip, there is zero evidence of leaks.
Thus, it must be losing water during the trip. I can see where some may splash out of the vent hole when it's full, but that can't account for 1/2 my water being gone upon arrival.
I have not removed the fresh water plate (4 screws) as it's sealed in place and am not sure that would accomplish anything or not. Obviously being sealed in place does not mean it cannot be removed, I just don't want to do it if it's a waste of time.
Any ideas?
Steve_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
I would initiate a rigorous inspection to determine where the water is going. As, if it is being held in the internals of your AS, you may already have a problem of rot, mold, corrosion, etc.

This sounds fairly serious.

I suppose, it is possible for the pump to be triggered and you are simply running the water through some outlet and into either the black or gray tanks. Does it drop the level when traveling with the pump off?

And, some water leaks may not appear unless the chassis is stressed, allowing a loose fitting pipe to leak out the bottom, but only when in motion over the road.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
If you're losing water while underway, you should see evidence every time you stop.

Next time out, as soon as you reach your destination, verify the water level in your freshwater tank by topping up. Don't put a lot of trust in the monitor. The sensor may be faulty.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes do not rely on the monitor, there has never been one made yet that worked.

As mentioned. Top off the tank before leaving, when you get there stop on pavement and look at the underbelly for sign of dripping then top it off as soon as you get on your site. If there is a difference you have a leak.

Since the draw tube and fill tubes come off the top of the tank it is unlikely that a leak in the plumb could account for any amount of water lose. If there is an amount of water lose it will mostly accumulate in the belly pan.

The tank may have a crack that holds while you are parked but leaks as you drive.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
For starters, make sure the water pump is turned off before traveling.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote