Old 06-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
LWM

1968 30' Sovereign
Beacon , New York
Looking for restoration help in New Mexico - my first Airstream

I'm a total newbie to the community - happy to be here. I hope I am posting this in the right place and not asking too many dumb questions right off the bat...

My wife and I have the opportunity to acquire this 1968 Sovereign from northern New Mexico, where it has been sinking in the ground on a piece of land that my father-in-law owns. It was there when he bought the land and has sat unused for who-knows how many years, 10 at the very least.

It is in the dirt up to it's rims and the interior has been a home to squirrels. It has been cleaned out, but is in need of MAJOR renovation.

Our plan is to 'liberate' this beauty and move it into our backyard in NY to accommodate guests and have it as an additional living space to supplement our tiny house. We don't anticipate that it will see much road time beyond the 2,000+ mile haul from New Mexico to New York.

We hope to make it as 'eco' as possible - convert the bath to a composting toilet and put in some kind of gray water system. We are just in the beginning stages of planning but are thinking that doing the restoration in New Mexico will make more sense (financially).

Any advice from this community is highly appreciated. I am happy to share more photos. Is there anyone in New Mexico who does restorations of this kind? I'm looking for help with the major fixes, but am on a budget so will have to pick and choose my battles. I have no idea what condition the axles are in, getting it out of the mud would be step one.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
LWM

1968 30' Sovereign
Beacon , New York
Hi, I'm bumping this post back to the top

No one has recommendations for companies or individuals that restore Airstreams in New Mexico? That seems kind of hard to believe...

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have only had experience with A&P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise, TX (about 30 miles northwest of Dallas. They can take a shell off and build a new frame and all the insides to suit the user's needs.

I have seen lots of their restoration work while having two new units modified the way we wanted them.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Since you mention it came with the land. Big question, do you have a title for it? May make getting it registered and on the road difficult.
Cost between getting it worked on in NM vs NY probably not significant. Colin Hyde is in Plattsburgh, NY. Will at least need new wheel bearings and tires to get her moving. Brakes may need some work as well. Colin could get you new axles to start with including bearings and brakes. If the wheels themselves are in the dirt you'll probably want some new ones as well. Since its been in the relatively dry NM environ, the frame may not be to bad.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #5
LWM

1968 30' Sovereign
Beacon , New York
Thanks for your replies until now. Yes we do have the original title, so I don't foresee any problems there.

The first step is definitely the towing - and forgive me for being such a newbie and potentially asking really stupid and basic questions:

How will I determine if I need to replace the axles? To my layman's eyes, the Airstream looks like it is sitting low so I would want to change, no? New shocks, axles, wheels, brakes... Where would be the best place to source these parts? Inland RV? I called and the woman said that they don't have any distributors in New Mexico, so I am worried I will have to order well in advance, and I worry about the specs being correct for the trailer. (After reading other blogs in this forum).

I will be inspecting and attempting to free it from the mud in August. I hope that I can make it road ready and tow it out to New York, but am uncertain that I will get it ready in the week that I have out there and may have to wait until Spring.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Axles will probably need to be replaced, but that doesn't mean that they have to be done immediately. You can probably tow it safely on the axles that are there, but it will likely need new bearings, wheels and tires, and thorough cleaning of brakes to tow safely. Colin Hyde is a great source for axles in NY, he can get them so they're easy to swap right out, I don't recommend Inland RV for them.
Judging by how high the wheels look up into the wheel well vs how low trailer like old to ground as well as age you're pretty assured of needing new axles. Once you get it on some level ground and free from being buried it'll be essier to tell.
You're LUCKY you got the title. Hopefully it's in your family's name! NY is a PITA. If it's in your father in laws name, buy it from him for $1.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Timeless travel trailers in wheat ridge, co could do this.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:37 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Indian Wells , California
HiJoeSilver- I got my axles from Inland and they bolted right up. I don't know what you're talking about.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Colin Hyde Trailer Works is in Plattsburgh, New York, might be convenient to your New York home (if you are willing/able to trailer the coach to New York).

Hank
Old 07-09-2016, 01:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCA View Post
HiJoeSilver- I got my axles from Inland and they bolted right up. I don't know what you're talking about.
Not so much for me. Bolt holes didn't line up, tubes were to big so had to cut bigger notches. Had hard time getting them to send the mounting hardware I paid for when ordered, ended up having to buy it twice to get it. Plus some other things.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RankAm View Post
Colin Hyde Trailer Works is in Plattsburgh, New York, might be convenient to your New York home (if you are willing/able to trailer the coach to New York).

Hank
Colin can have them shipped to you as well. Cost depending on where you have them shipped based on distance from factory and method.
Not sure he can getting them to you before you'll be in NM though.