Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2016, 06:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
Looking for Merlin

I have been offered a 1965 Safari LY. Initially, my plan was to do some work myself and sub out some of the things that I could do... since then, I have learned that the trailer will need a shell off restoration-- this was my worst fear since it is well beyond anything that I could do. I have talked to the guy at vintage base camp in Louisville and he ballparked the restoration at 30K. (I have no quarrel with him. He seems to be super nice, knowledgeable, and fair.)The problem is that I had been planning to keep it under 20K. Knowing that things almost always cost a good deal more that you anticipate, I fear that I am going to have to walk. My disappointment is bitter. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Know a magician in GA? LOL
pamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
In reference to "Merlin" ... a PO named our 75 Overlander Merlin and it is for sale for much less $20,000 ... hehe ...
Some people having few to no handyman skills buy an Airstream and learn as they restore ... much cheaper.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
See?! I knew that I needed Merlin! LOL
Old 02-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I've learned all kinds of thing I never knew from working on our coach, to include woodworking, propane piping, air-conditioning repair, and solar panel installation.

Now whether I actually wanted to learn all that stuff may be another story, but I'm really cheap, so I kinda had to.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So, yes, a full restoration is going to cost in the ballpark of the price of a new trailer, because it IS a new trailer... That being said, why not get a quote for just the "heavy lifting" portion of the work, ie., lifting the shell, fixing the frame and floor? Granted, there is a huge amount of work just to do that much, but you may see a way to squeeze the costs into your budget if you do everything else yourself.

There are a few vintage trailers out there, somewhere in a barn, or in the desert, that can be spruced up without a shell-off, but I would venture that those are few and far between, and the remainder of those trailers that haven't already had a lot of work done on them (ie., a shell-off) need it. If you have $20k to spend, perhaps you should hunt for a trailer that has already had the major repair work done, and now the owner wants to upgrade, get something bigger, etc.. I have seen these sell within your price range.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
I've learned all kinds of thing I never knew from working on our coach, to include woodworking, propane piping, air-conditioning repair, and solar panel installation.

Now whether I actually wanted to learn all that stuff may be another story, but I'm really cheap, so I kinda had to.
Thanks! We are still trying to figure out if we want to learn all of that! No one ever accused us of making quick decisions! We decide-- no, we're out--- and then we get drawn back in... currently checking with some recommended repairmen (thanks, AirForum community!). I (tentatively) think that we are moving forward.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
Good advice! I appreciate it! I think that we are (possibly!) moving forward with your first piece-- having the heavy lifting done and then seeing where we stand from there.