Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You've had a lot of good information so far in this thread, pckeen. I will only point out what I think could work as far as living arrangements go for your tribe "D

The early/mid '70s Airstream Sovereigns are very plentiful today, since many people feel that the only one for them is a 25-footer. You need the room, so their loss is your gain.

Try hard to get a rear bedroom model, unless you want to be continually awakened every night by your crew walking past you to get to the bathroom. The rear bed layout is also less prone to rear end separation, too.

Then, I would suggest finding a rear bed that has the large, L-shaped couch in the living area. Part of that layout already comes ready to make into a twin bed for sleeping. With your skills, you could make the rest of it into somewhere for 4 to sleep while keeping a lot of seating for non-sleeping periods.

Failing that, you could convert the L-shaped couches completely into bunkbeds.

In any event, for a trailer that old, you can usually count on needing all new appliances (AC, furnace, water heater, refer (fridge) and maybe the stove) so keep about $4,000 aside for that.

Keep asking the questions, and you'll be there faster than you think possible!

Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
Hi Grant - thanks so much for the offer, and I may well take you up on it. Right now, I'm wading through threads, to get a better idea of the scope of the project I'm looking for.

I'm thinking I'm going to be looking for a frame off project....but I've yet to begin looking at Airstreams.

With the bunk beds that you have, have you thought of building a bed that folds up and down to the wall - I saw this on a newer trailer (I forget where). Basically, the bed was hinged at the wall along the long side, and it then folded down.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
Aage, I believe, from what I have looked at in other trailers, that I want a 31' Sovereign with a rear bedroom. I've been trying to find floor plans for older model sovereigns, but have had no luck - is there any site or thread you can point me at?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckeen View Post
Aage, I believe, from what I have looked at in other trailers, that I want a 31' Sovereign with a rear bedroom. I've been trying to find floor plans for older model sovereigns, but have had no luck - is there any site or thread you can point me at?
I'm not sure about floor plans, but you might want to check out Vintage Airstream Photos to see what was available in specific models/years.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
With the bunk beds that you have, have you thought of building a bed that folds up and down to the wall - I saw this on a newer trailer (I forget where). Basically, the bed was hinged at the wall along the long side, and it then folded down.
That's not something I considered, but it could work in certain situations. With our four being teenagers I wanted the bunks to be as solid as possible. In most cases where I've seen photos of fold-up bunks I got the impression that they were more for younger kids. A fold-up bunk also gets more complicated when it's at the front or rear of the trailer and you have to deal with the curvature of the walls.

I just posted some pictures of the bed's I've been building.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
Ok - I was randomly searching for airstream soverigns, and came up with this site that has historical specs and floor plans.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
OK - so this is the closest stock floorplan that I could find (from a 2013 Flying Cloud 30BH) - this is what I have in mind, but given that I would be tearing the interior our and starting from scratch, another potential method is putting the washroom where the refer and wardrobe is (assuming a trailer that was at least a foot longer than the one pictured here.

Is this possible, if I were modifying a 70s or 80s sovereign, or am I just whistling dixie?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Looking for a Restoration Project - Need Advice

Greetings pckeen!

Quote:
OK - so this is the closest stock floorplan that I could find (from a 2013 Flying Cloud 30BH) - this is what I have in mind, but given that I would be tearing the interior our and starting from scratch, another potential method is putting the washroom where the refer and wardrobe is (assuming a trailer that was at least a foot longer than the one pictured here.

Is this possible, if I were modifying a 70s or 80s sovereign, or am I just whistling dixie?

What you propose is feasible from a space utilization aspect in a 31' Sovereign, but you may encounter two problems. The first being that the entry door is likely to be in the front bedroom, and it isn't easy to move an existing entry door. The second problem is that existing windows are likely to complicate placement of "walls" and may fall in locations other than where desired. I suspect that a rear bedroom 31' Sovereign may lend itself to your plans a bit easier than a rear bathroom.

I suspect that your floorplan would work more easily in an early 1980s 34' Airstream. The 34' would give you quite a bit more room that could expand the living area a bit . . . and there would be a reduced likelihood that the entry door would fall in the front bedroom.

Good luck with your investigation and research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:

As Kevin pointed out, walls, windows and doors are what is going to make what you are thinking of hard to do.

Here's another floorplan, the one I was trying to describe before. Second last floorplan is my favourite.

Dunno, front and back bunks? You might be able to carry a platoon of your own!

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...c978cc1dc7.pdf

31-footers are almost at the bottom of that loooong PDF file.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
Thanks to both of you. So let me ask this - assuming that I'm doing a shell-off restoration or a complete gutting of the interior of a trailer....

Can I begin with any 31-34' Airstream, regardless of floor model, or should I be looking only for rear bedroom models? I don't know if the window and door structure is different for the center bath vs. rear bath models.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
pckeen,

You're getting some outstanding advice on this thread.

Although I can't offer advice on 30+ footers, I do want to pass on one more thought. We evaluated converting our 26' Overlander to a rear bed and found that we couldn't accomplish it because of the wheel wells. We had the same size rear bed and -- on the Overlander -- wouldn't have been able to walk around the bed without stepping over the wheel wells.

In your proposal, wheel wells might have a big effect on footroom under the dinette or force you to move the fridge.

Good luck,

John
Old 07-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We have a 29' 1989 Rear Bedroom Excella. We also have seven big kids ages 10-16. Added to that, grandma spends about half of the year with us. We built custom bunks in the bedroom using the original twin beds. We built fixed too bunks above them and then hinged middle bunks on each side. These are hinged up during the day so that the bottom bunks can be used for seating fir card games and the like. We have a table which fits in between. At night, the table is stowed and the hinged bunks are lowered into position, and the final seventh bed unfolds from under the window to fit the floor space between the sets of bunks, leaving about 18" in the doorway for floor space for everyone getting in and out if their beds. It works GREAT!!! We have spent more nights camping than we have at home in the summers! In the front, an L- shaped couch becomes a queen bed fir the two of us, and a chaise (which is next to the L making a U) pulls out to become a single for grandma when she is with us. We have a table which goes in the center of the U when we need to eat inside and all ten of us can eat in the front or play board games in the table. We did a lot of updating and even added a built-in dishwasher, which sounds crazy but actually makes sense with this many people -- it uses only 1.5 gallons to wash ten place settings and has its own built-in water heater so it doesn't affect showering etc and doesn't fill the gray tank or empty out fresh tank like doing then by hand. Plus, it's a great place to store the dishes as well. We LOVE our airstream! Good luck with yours! It's one if the best things we have done for and with our family.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
Hi Skatiero - like the twin bunks - I found your photos. Did you find that the bunks prevented access to the windows at all?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
No, you can still access all if the windows and can still use the rear window for egress.