Old 10-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I like to use a tool bag, it's a hybrid of a box and the roll-up. Easy access, light, organized, quiet.

An example is this from lowes. I'll try to post the link, but you can just search this:

DEWALT Polyester Zippered Closed Tool Bag
Item # 373129 Model # DG5553

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-Poly...ol-Bag/3512924

Old 10-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have an older Craftsman plastic tool box. One of the ones with a large tray then a smaller tray and then a flat top that can be used as a bench or as a large stool to stand on. Some of these had a handle and rollers but mine does not. It stays in the bed of the truck up near the cab. Next to the portable generator. Yes, I have a hard cover on the bed. I tie a rope to the tool box and another to apiece of plywood under the generator so I can slide them to the tailgate without climbing in. Sort of a poor boy sliding bed. If I just need a small tool from the top trays I can get into the box without moving it.

Like another poster, I keep a light plastic box of electical and a light plastic box of rivet stuff and pex stuff in the trailer in a rear compartment. But the heavy stuff is in the truck. And it is fairly heavy. I carry a torque wrench and the large sockets to fit the hitch and ball and a set of half inch sockets. And a caulking gun and a tube of Vulkem. And a bottle jack that is not carried in the toolbox.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Harrison , Arkansas
Thumbs up Tool Box

I have 2 Kennedy metal boxes one with a tray, I have a Husky open topped carpenters box for the everyday stuff and I store them in my Truck Toolbox from TSC. not a whole lot of storage left in our 77 Sovereign 31'
Great post
Old 10-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #18
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Great input, thanks again! Today I placed an order on Amazon for a few items so we can try them out with our tools to see whether we like the soft-side bag / rollup approach. Will share what we learn.

Here's what I ordered:
Custom LeatherCraft 1173 32-Pocket Socket Tool Roll Pouch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKUTCY

Custom LeatherCraft 1107 2 Bag Combo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DD5H8

Custom Leathercraft L232 18-Inch 45 Pocket Tech Gear Lighted Big Mouth Tool Bag: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QYZNRG

Reviews said the bags in the 2 Bag Combo above are much smaller than they look, so we'll see what fits in them.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1949 22' Liner
1959 18' Traveler
Seal Rock , Oregon
Veto pro pac is my tool bag. They come in a variety of designs and make it easy to keep organized and find the tool you need
https://www.vetopropac.com/
Old 10-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Big trucks use Protech tool boxes. They make them for pickups, they cost more but after comparing them you will see why they cost more,...
Old 10-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
GRAND CANYON , Arizona
Being a full-timer vs. a part-timer makes a huge difference in the amount of tools and the associated storage. I keep several tool boxes of various sizes in the Pickup bed toolbox. That way they are locked up when not needed and very accessible when they are needed. I just pull out the dedicated box(es) with the tools necessary for the type of job(s).
Old 10-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
...cloth/canvas mechanics bag...
Bob,

Yes! I had forgotten about the Riggers Bags. I have three of them in the back of the Jeep.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:39 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Pickup Pack/Bed Roller

I wanted to keep as much weight as possible in my TV and not the TT, so I got a Ram 3500 with 4200lb payload. Next mission was to provide good accessibility to my tools, supplies and gear; and the best security for these as well as the generators, compressor and other gear I carry for self sufficiency. Out of sight, out of mind - with good mortise locks. Lastly, As I grow older (and fatter), climbing in and out of the truck bed hauling heavy gear has lost much of its charm.

Solution: Tool boxes, bed hatch and bed roller from Highway Products. They call their various customizable boxes, racks, lids, etc. the "Pickup Pack"
http://www.highwayproducts.com/pickup-packs
Heavy duty aluminum diamond plate, good mortise locks, well constructed, and you can configure to best suit your wants/needs. American made and lifetime guarantee. Here are a couple pics of my setup:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4597a.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	274003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4598a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	274004  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4600a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	274005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4602a.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	274006  

Old 10-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
I wanted to keep as much weight as possible in my TV and not the TT, so I got a Ram 3500 with 4200lb payload...
Very nice!
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #25
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Don't have enough tools for that rig, but it's nifty!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
I use a variety of tools every day, but the most commonly used ones are always readily available in a custom open tool bag which allows me to bring it on-site and just reach for what ever I need.

One very high quality company to look at is Veto Pro-pack. Their tool bags are extremely heavy duty and will probably last the casual user a lifetime, without the weight of a metal box.

https://www.vetopropac.com
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Thanks, guys. This thread is more about recommending the toolbox than about the tools.

That said, I just got another suggestion from someone: Tool rollups such as those made by LeatherCraft. Just get a bunch of rollups, fill them with tools, and then put all the rollups into a LeatherCraft bag. No rattles, and relatively lightweight.
This is similar to what I do. I carry like tools in gallon size plastic bags in a very generic platic tool box with a single latch and carry it in the storage unit at the back of my 32 ft 1987 Excella. It is about 16 inches long, 7 inches high and 8 inches wide. If I need more tools than it will carry I add tool boxes to the back of my TV which contains a large plastic tool box where I can haul chain, big jacks and tool boxes full of the tools I might want for a long trip. I figure if I am on a short trip and need major work I am going to get towed to the shop where they will have what is needed for repair. No matter how good you might be in repair work at home in your shop out of the weather you are going to be limited to what you can do on the side of the road without being towed to the repair shop.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
San Marcos , California
I use a Husky bag that I got at Home Depot. It has lots of pockets both inside and out, because of the canvas and the pockets the tools don't tend to make a lot of noise when traveling.

I have a full set of wrenches in the bottom, the outer pockets come with small parts bins that are good for fuses, rivets etc.
Attached Images