Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Starkville , Mississippi
LOOKING FOR A '66 Globetrotter GURU

I have recently rescued a 66 GT and am looking for a service manual. I want to know what connects to what and where, ha. Does anyone have a service manual that they will share?? I will praise your name and scream it from the top of a mountain! Thanks!!!
ductwrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Welcome to the forums!

Believe it or not the original manuals are still sold by Airstream. I assume they still retain the copyrights so posting online info here is not allowed. Congrats on your purchase and good luck!

Here's a link to the info.
https://store.airstream.com/product/...owner-manuals/
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I am sorry to say, there are no service manuals for Airstream trailers, nor have there ever been, before about 1972. The owner's manual is very basic, and pretty much goes over how to use the appliances, and how to care for them and the trailer. Nothing really technical.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Overlander 63 advises well.

The owner's booklet is pretty worthless to the concerns of restoration or much explanation.

Got a three-ring binder?? Start creating your own service manual according to your needs and findings. Every answer to every question is in this wonderful forum, use the Google part of the search drop-down at the top right of this page. There's lot's to copy.

As I recall the '66 is more akin to the '65, and less to the '67 except for the much maligned '66-'68 Philips Corning windows. Don't be discouraged by what is said about your windows, they're easy to rebuild and about everything is available. Mine rebuilt to flawless, better than new condition.

You are very advised to attend The Vintage Trailer Academy. Search for threads about it. It will be the best spent money in your restoration budget.

Today, your enthusiasm and excitement may cloud the reality of how fine your trailer actually is. Yes it's really cool, but in the coming years, you'll realize how very special and unique it truly is. Go Slow, read a lot, Don't buy stuff for it until it's needed. A smartly updated restoration of this model will be an important contribution to Airstream History, and as quoted from Airstream... “ We believe the Globe Trotter to be the best small camper in the world”. It Is!! You'll love camping in it.

Dude, Globe Trotters Totally Rule!
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
GlamperGirl

Today, your enthusiasm and excitement may cloud the reality of how fine your trailer actually is. Yes it's really cool, but in the coming years, you'll realize how very special and unique it truly is. Go Slow, read a lot, Don't buy stuff for it until it's needed. A smartly updated restoration of this model will be an important contribution to Airstream History, and as quoted from Airstream... “ We believe the Globe Trotter to be the best small camper in the world”. It Is!! You'll love camping in it.

Dude, Globe Trotters Totally Rule![/QUOTE]

Truly? I am so happy to know that my 65 Globetrotter has more secrets to reveal. Now that I have taken her apart, I am happy to know I can bring her back to life but I won't be the restore purist owner. Just the modernized version of a GT continues to be my goal.
thumbelinadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There are so many things you can do with an older trailer like the mid-60's GT. Updating the electricals and getting the thing weatherproofed would both be worthy first projects. The latter more so than the former.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
GlamperGirl

Yes Terry! I am so with you. I just have a goal of leak proof and safe as my first set of goals. Luckily Lewster (Lew Farber) is an old friend from my windsurfing days so I am really happy to have him on my list of resources on electrical. Lucky Globetrotter I have had so much good fortune since acquiring her she may be named Lady Luck. Happy New Year!
thumbelinadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2008 23' International
Currently Looking...
Cedar Falls , Iowa
Send a message via AIM to hahnstead
I have the original owner's manual for my 66 GT. Let me know how I might help you.

Paul
Old 01-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
Overlander 63 advises well.

Got a three-ring binder?? Start creating your own service manual according to your needs and findings. Every answer to every question is in this wonderful forum, use the Google part of the search drop-down at the top right of this page. There's lot's to copy.

[/SIZE]
I like Evernote, the free app, much better than a "quaint" 3-ring binder. I can put in webpages, or selections from them, pics, plans, manuals, pretty much anything. It's all searchable, and available on any device I own. Much better than bookmarking, as the pages never go away.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
Truly? I am so happy to know that my 65 Globetrotter has more secrets to reveal. Now that I have taken her apart, I am happy to know I can bring her back to life but I won't be the restore purist owner. Just the modernized version of a GT continues to be my goal.

Truly.

I advised with weight on the side of conservation, as I struggle with constant fear that another of these '60s beauties gets hack-sawed into a toy hauler, hair salon, clothing boutique, pizza/hot-dog/ice-cream/coffee... “Stand”. These little Bettys were built to “Roll”. Witnessing the “atrocité du jour” for sale on eBay, I am ever saddened.

If you're interested in my interpretation of resto-mod-conserve, it's scattered throughout replies to differing threads and posts, and an occasional post of a successful fix that I thought helpful to solve rebuild issues... So, there is no 1968 GT Restoration Blog documenting my journey to which I can refer. If someone is researching and stumbles onto something I did that resolves a question, that's what the search function is designed to do.

People, myself included, get tunneled into their own visions, so it's often pointless to present another perspective. Asking in “Real Time” on the front pages of this forum doesn't always elicit the wisest answer. Today, everyone might champion for .025 3003 H14 belly pan sheets, but......

Posts of my efforts are available to anyone capable of using search functions. You'll have to endure run-on, verbose and oddly structured sentences, but I'm careful to explain and illustrate as clearly as I can.

Examples...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454/66-67-68-windows-blinds-covering-treatment-111812.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/model-suggestions-wanted-127836.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ew-126474.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/p...ce-128019.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/a...od-129180.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ot-116742.html

No work involved, it's fun to learn as you go, translating visions and dreams into reality...

Perfection is the enemy of excellence.

Make it fun...
Old 01-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
SuzyHomemakrs restoration is remarkably interesting, innovative, and well crafted. I enjoy his fitment vocabulary and material explanations. His work is a "must see". In fact, it's so cool, that it should be a Florida vacation destination... an Airstreamer's Disneyland. Do check it out.

An old dog, a long history, I'll never fit into today's tech, I don't have a cloud, I don't know an app from third base, but I would respect and consider any tech input Suzy has, as he does it top tier.

However antiquated, my comfort is a jarful of Stabilo, Tombow, Venus, Mitsubishi, Turquoise, drafting pencils, thirty Faber Coloramas, a Staedtler eraser, toothy sketch paper, cardboard, scissor, tape... that's how I figure stuff out. I'll even make something and sketch it afterwards. For me, it's relaxing to pencil sketch and color on paper in a book of ideas. I think sometimes, it leads me to undigitable thought.

I just checked, and as usual, there's a been pencil over my ear all day. This one's a Japanese Tombow HB... Sweet.

I can't imagine all the time it would save me to first computer model and pattern all the nonsense I'm up to throughout the day, before I go into the shop, and just do it.

Oh well, a three ring binder doesn't light up in the dark either.