Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #1

1971 31' Sovereign
Novinger , Missouri
Lighting pilots and testing fridge and furnace

I have a 71 - 31' Airstream Sovereign and no owners manual. I am trying to get everything working. I am able to light the water heater piliot but not sure about the fridge and the furnace and haven't yet checked into the range/stovetop. Any info anyone might have will be helpful. The fridge says something about water level which I haven't looked into yet and the furnace just tells me to turn on the propane hold the start button and strike the ignitor till it lights but I have no idea where to look to be sure the piliot is lit.

Help me please!

Sarah
sp635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Sarah, buying the Owner's Manual will be a great investment. You can get reproductions from Helen Davis at Secretarial Services, PO Box 484, Sidney, OH 45365 (937) 492-8885. I don't have the same model trailer as you, so can't answer the questions. Buying the manual, and reading it carefully, cover-to-cover, will be time well spent.
Nick.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The furnace should have a small door that you open to access the button and igniter that you referenced. Also inside that door is a screw on cap. It has a clear top. That is where you will see the pilot lite. The inches of water for the refrigerator is a way to measure the pressure that the regulator is producing. The fridge is basically the same as the furnace except that you must switch it to gas first. If it is like my 75 all the controls are inside the fridge on the bottom. There is also a small piece of plastic that will show you when it is lite as well. It is much easier to see when the area is dark.

I also suggest that you get the owners manual, it will answer these and many more questions that you may have.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
... If it is like my 75 all the controls are inside the fridge on the bottom. There is also a small piece of plastic that will show you when it is lite as well. It is much easier to see when the area is dark...
I have pretty good luck lighting the fridge from outside. I turn the switch to "gas" then go outside, flip open the little hole to the burner. I lift up on the gas valve and stick a lighter in the hole. It seems quicker than using the click-click switch on the inside of the fridge.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote