Old 09-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Rockford , Michigan
light weight trailer for mileage

I have a '60 Safari that I camp with my family of four and we LOVE it. My TV is a 1999 F250 V10 and I only get about 12 mpg when towing it. It weighs about 3300 pounds. I'm interested in building/restoring/chopping a trailer to make a small light weight trailer. My Toyota Corolla manual says it will tow 1500lbs. Anybody have any advice on getting an airstream under 1500lbs? I like vintage. Should I look for a cheap one and cut the middle out? Are there affordable stock airstreams that are that light?

Ideas?

Doug

Old 09-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
What does the truck get when not towing? Is it much better?

I would keep your Airstream the way it is and consider a TV that gets better fuel mileage. I am aware of many smallish selected sedans not much larger than your Corolla towing dual axle Airstreams. It has to do with the set up. You will need to do some research but the information is out there.

This may be a good place to start with these "Hitch Hints" articles..

RV Lifestyle - Hitch Hints & Wagon Masters

Old 09-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
When you a think about the fact that two people could easily weigh a third of your goal weight of 1,000 pounds, I think you'll be looking at some really light materials...
Old 09-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Our Caravel loaded is about 3,000. Our 1999 Chevy Silverado 5.3 with tow package gets 14-15 towing and 19-20 not towing. You need a trailer for four, which you have, and you are transporting four. You may be able to get another TV which will do a little better, but probably not worth the investment.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdouger View Post
Anybody have any advice on getting an airstream under 1500lbs? I like vintage. Should I look for a cheap one and cut the middle out?

Ideas?
How about a Teardrop?

Here's the article that the Craigslist ad talks about...I just happen to have a copy

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Doug

Keep your current Airstream it is very easy to tow. Feel free to come visit us in London Ontario and try out our Jetta Diesel. It will run 25 MPG towing your Safari and 50 when you unhook it. Handling is very precise and it has no power issues with an Airstream like yours.

Give me a call or send an E mail before you come as it is often out picking up trailers.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Hmmm, our Ridgeline averages around 16mpg towing our 22' SS and 23mpg highway not towing.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If you want new(er), you could look into a T@b. They weigh a bit less than 2000 pounds loaded.
Not that I want to steer you away from Airstreams, but they are small and lightweight. You could tow one with almost any small SUV or pickup.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdouger View Post
I have a '60 Safari that I camp with my family of four and we LOVE it. My TV is a 1999 F250 V10 and I only get about 12 mpg when towing it. It weighs about 3300 pounds. I'm interested in building/restoring/chopping a trailer to make a small light weight trailer. My Toyota Corolla manual says it will tow 1500lbs. Anybody have any advice on getting an airstream under 1500lbs? I like vintage. Should I look for a cheap one and cut the middle out? Are there affordable stock airstreams that are that light?

Ideas?

Doug
Weight is really secondary.

The aerodynamic flow is far more important.

As a matter of fact, when I was with Caravanner Insurance Company, my loaded 31 foot Airstream weighed 8500 pounds. Towing it with a 1973 Buick Electra, gave me about 10 miles per gallon of fuel.

We then tested the difference in "air flow" with a U-haul trailer.

It was a 5 X 8 boxed in trailer, that I towed at the same speed as the Airstream, and got "LESS" fuel mileage.

Then the weight factor was questioned, by others asking "how much weight did we have in the U-haul?"

Those that asked, as well as our staff, were amazed, as we were, when they were told that the U-haul, "was empty."

Finding this hard to believe, we repeated the test, and got the same results.

The only conclusion anyone could make from those tests is that weight, while many times important, is really less important than the air flow design of the trailer.

Sounds unreal, but the air flow design of the trailer is far more important than the weight, at least in the two trailers that we used in the tests.

Andy
Old 09-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Rockford , Michigan
Interesting comments on weight Andy. It makes sense. Once the weight is rolling, it's almost negligent. You really are using your energy to push the air out of the way.

Andrew T - Can you really tow over $3,000 lbs with a Jetta desiel. It seems like a small car like that towing a 22' trailer would push the bumper right down to the ground and smoke the transmission. What are the towing capabilities of a Jetta. Could you convert it to run on waste vegitable oil? That way your trailer would smell like french fries by the time you go there.

Other than bambi's and caravel's are there other stock trailers that were originally light? My wife and ai are a little too addicted to the airstream style to look at a tear drops right now. Maybe in the future.

Doug
Old 09-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Rockford , Michigan
btw...just for fun... here's our '60 safari land yaght.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Looks like the four of you are having lots of fun with that beauty!

From the way your wheel opening hangs over your tire, I would suggest that, like many of the trailers its age, it may well need a new axle. Apparently, driving with an axle that has lost its resilience can dramatically increase the stress on the body of your TT, so it's probably worth looking into...
Old 09-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Since you like your current trailer. Why not just leave things as they are? For the time, money and effort you will put into this other trailer, plus the loss of space/livability, it doesn't seem like there is much of a payoff. Just put the money etc. that you were going to put into the new trailer, into the gas tank of the truck. Unless you travel A LOT, the gas savings on the margins is not all the great in the whole scheme of things. I don't think it would even be worth going the other way....selling the truck for something that gets better mileage. By the time you take a hit on the Super Duty selling it, you would again be better off putting the money you would have "lost" on the sale in the gas tank. All of this assumes you don't tow your trailer more than most of the rest of us do.

As to the Jetta, WOW, I drive a Jetta TDI and cannot imagine towing anything other than maybe a very very light weight utility trailer with it. I guess if it is working for you, more power to you. I do love the car for my day to day commute. I downsized from an Audi A6 as I was worried about gas supply as much as gas mileage. I figured I could drive over twice as far on a tank with the VW as I was with the Audi, meaning that I would spend 1/2 of the time in gas lines if it came to that. So far, knock wood, it has not come to that around here. Of course the 50 mpg I get day to day on the highway is great.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
12 mpg on a 3/4 Ton V10? I'm envious. I get 11-12 towing my Tradewind with my F250 Triton. But usually tow up and down moutains over passes and don't particularly care for interstates. A couple of years ago I dropped down from a Sovereign to the Tradewind. Saved a whopping 1 mpg. Also talked to folks towing Caravels, Bambis and the like with smaller TVs. The rule rather than the exception seems to be they might get a mile or 2 more mpgs but are still in the 12-15 mpg range.