Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Thanks Ray, enjoyed the posts and appreciated the effort.
In life I have found there are doers and complainers. One usually fits in either category.
If I chose not to read a long post, then its pretty simple, I don't. Not sure why folks complain about not doing something, they chose not to do ?
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
But my i-Phone compass doesn't point north. Should I trust the level?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:20 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
I marvel at some people's "process" for things. Some, like me, are blessed with an "eye" which after years of practice using, I can set up my airstream perfectly level by sight. I use the app thingy only if it's dark when doing so or double check with the swinging door method.
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:12 AM   #44
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
That’s why I a card carring member of the flat earth society. Airstream level most of the time.
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:55 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
Thanks Ray, enjoyed the posts and appreciated the effort.
In life I have found there are doers and complainers. One usually fits in either category.
If I chose not to read a long post, then its pretty simple, I don't. Not sure why folks complain about not doing something, they chose not to do ?

I second that :-)
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:37 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Wow! Thanks for the compass app intel, I've been carrying a level around and didn't know it.

Not real anul about leveling but I do like the shower to drain, and we do use it.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #47
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPJ View Post
That’s why I a card carring member of the flat earth society. Airstream level most of the time.

Yes! If you believe hard enough that it’s level, it will be level. 🤣

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
LEVEL your Airstream... Forever

Leveling, I’ve basically figured that front to back is easy with the tongue jack, and side to side, I make sure the head of my crosswise bed (streetside) is higher than the foot for sleeping comfort. If it’s not obviously listing to port or starboard, it’s close enough. The fridge needs to be more or less level fore and aft, so that’s what I worry about most.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #49
Rivet Master

About 17 years ago on this forum I posted the method that keeps me and any passing campers content. I check that the trailer feels right when I walk around inside. Then I go to the large ball level in the front of the trailer. The two fixing screws are not tightened completely, so I then adjust the level so the ball is in the center.
Nick.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
The refrigerator operates just fine at any deviation of level. If you are walking down the hallway and tossed into the side wall like a Sailor in a rough sea... maybe get some leveling blocks out and 'eye ball' your situation.

I have seen the IPhone app at work. It is absolutely ingenious. We have a $10 a month phone that does nothing outside of taking and making telephone calls.

Some very good responses. We have camped on the side of a mountain in a tent with our Blue Heelers. When you wake up and you have slid to the entrance and need to climb back to the opposite side... this is what you are trying to avoid. Some people make a big issue of 10% off level. We are used to 35 degrees as a Flat Spot on Mount Antero, Colorado looking for Beryl 'aquamarine' Crystals. Did not find aquamarine crystals... but did find a nice watch melting out of a snow drift at 14,000+ feet and I still have it, replaced batteries when needed and carry it in my pocket, sometimes, when camping. It had no watch band... Nice watch.

For the 'perfectionists' out there. Which I am not among the group as nothing I possess is perfect.

The Air Pressure in your tires will most likely not be the same.
The Suspension of your axles may vary.

If you are traveling and carry a 10 pound watermelon... store it under the pillows and covers on the bed. It will stay cool and we have never had one get loose. We also use blankets in the shower floor to hold 'fragile items'... again, my appetite for fresh Green River, Utah watermelon and 'cants'.

Stabilizers are for those who are sensitive to the trailer rocking in the wind, or walking in the trailer. Our 2014 International's stabilizers have never touched the Earth's Surface. You step up the stairs to enter and the trailer rocks... big deal. Some day you may forget to crank them up and be in for some bad news. If you are camped somewhere for a long period of time... that is the time to use them. For Boondocking... get use to not using them.

We have been at sites in western Utah in canyons that are beautiful. The possible campsites require the front of the trailer to be raised in FEET... to get front to back level. Just not going to work. It is worse on the side to side. Even with over a foot of wood blocks and the front lift... some campsites are reserved for Tent Campers only.

Kida like my two cinder block an a 4x4? LolClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0698.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	312438

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #51

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My concern has always been directed towards the fridge since that is the most important aspect due to damage that can happen if these units are not in "approximate" level. So no matter where you check from, the important point to check for level is the fridge. First time I brought the trailer home new, I placed a bubble circular level on the floor of the freezer in the middle. Once I get the trailer level from front to back and side to side, I adjusted my outside Master Level to reflect level via the two adjustable bubbles. That's pretty much was one time setup and from then on the Master Level is what I adjust to when I'm setting up.

Newer fridges supposedly have the ability to run in a less than perfect level condition. A common comment I hear today is if the trailer feels level to you, that's good enough for the fridge. I however still use the bubbles. According to my measurements, each mark on my Master Level from side to side is equal to one Lynx Leveler block under each tandem wheel on the low side. Half a mark is one block under one tire of the tandem low side.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Level Headed

We've seldom had difficulty leveling our AS, unless a site is extremely wacky. Apparently, our battery box is very close to side-to-side level, so the 2 ft level goes there first. Lynx Levelers go under the tongue jack and the wheels. Our floor, just inside the door (at the rear) works well for front-to-back measurements with the same 2 ft level. (Those extra eyes also make it easier !) It doesn't seem to matter if we're not perfectly level. It's not rocket science, folks !
joanbob27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Jack heard the same things in the past about the Dometic Refrigerator not operating well when 'out of level'. We have yet to have any problems with our simple technique.

Front to Back is easy.

Left to Right using leveling blocks are close enough for us. With the one inch leveling blocks, we are going to be within one inch. If a site is more than four inches off, your steps into the trailer are going to problematic. Always try to correct to level on the side opposite your steps when dealing with four inches or more. Otherwise... that one Step for Mankind, may be your last...

When Off the Grid Boondocking... I can visualize how I want to set up the trailer for the easiest option and also consider the Sunny Side for cold weather or End to End for Hot weather camping. You get better as you get... older.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:47 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Fully 90% of getting better is doing so in a manner that lets you get older....

And, as Maxwell Smart put it, “everyone is entitled to at least one fatal error...”
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
A 'Word to the Wiser' ones following this Thread.

In Colorado, and no doubt other States that have less LEVEL RV Campsites... like Idaho, Utah, Montana and most of Nevada.... outside of the City... the LAST SITE(S) available will require a ladder and a stack of wood to maintain anything resembling... level.

(I must add the Appalachians and Ozarks and most of western California, as an afterthought.)

Look before you put out any cash in these States. The 'high season' is among those who get up late and want to stop at a RV Park, late as well. You will get what is left by those who laughed out loud and... left the scene of a terrible night sliding from under your covers.

This is from Personal Experience when I was just... ignorant of this fact. Now, as you get older you really cannot be bothered with minor details like falling off into the Septic Field #32 campsite. Although, I must say, the variety of biting insects is worth writing a Thesis.

At Yellowstone Park, almost ALL campsites are close to level... not much of an issue. Just the potential for the Caldera to Explode that evening after being dormant for 100,000 years (although it is late to 'blow' and due). If your site is not level... give it time... it could go one way or other. Like western Kansas. This place is HOT for a reason. You are on top of a Pressure Cooker and you, my friend... are the Turkey. Enjoy your trip, anyways. Geologists get all excited when explaining why some scenic locations to camp may have scenery... that may change sooner, than later.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Wow, major over thinking, I like the bath door method also.
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:26 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
Wow, major over thinking, I like the bath door method also.

... lucky are those who purchased an Airstream WITH a bath door, or interior doors, drawers and shelving... that does not swing into the hallway when the trailer is level.

I use the the same technique Indians used when leveling their Teepee. It is amazing how little we know today about anything.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:39 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I'm unaware that Indians used bubble levels in setting up their Teepee.
Did they use leveling blocks?
Does a Teepee have a tongue jack and stabilizers?
Just asking.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:46 AM   #59
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I personally have used the Crowhurst Method (above, post 49), and I attest that it has worked perfectly.
I have also taught it to several of my friends and associates.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:10 AM   #60
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
The refrigerator operates just fine at any deviation of level....

Yup, until one day, suddenly it doesn’t, because of the cumulative crystalline build-up in the pipes caused by operating too far out of level for too long.

It’s your money, though, spend it however you like. [emoji389][emoji389][emoji389]

I prefer spending $1.98 for a bubble level, using it to level the freezer, and then getting on with my day, knowing I’ve done a simple job well, protecting our fridge investment.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote