Old 05-23-2016, 07:21 AM   #1

Mobile , Alabama
level

new to the site just bought a 2011 22fb why do they not put a level on these to level the camper

Old 05-23-2016, 07:28 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Well, they kind of do this. On mine there's a bubble on top of the jack head. Level the trailer with a decent carpenter's level, then adjust the jack cover so it also shows level--you're done.

Many tell me it's not too important that leveling be anything more than comfortable, because the newer refrigerators aren't nearly as sensitive to being out of level.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You could just download an RV leveler smartphone app, so that you lay the phone on whatever flat surface you want to use as a reference point, and read the screen (the floor a couple of feet inside the entrance door works pretty well as a reference point). Some leveler apps will tell you exactly how high you need to raise the low side/end if you program in the dimensions of the trailer. Some will even talk to you (best used with a remote Bluetooth earpiece).

Just search for "trailer leveling app."

Since it's a 2011 trailer and the previous owner didn't install levels either, he must have used some sort of portable system, or else he just eyeballed it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I either use the APP like Protagonist or a standard shop level. I put it on the floor of the trailer and again inside the refrig. Both almost always show the same in either place but i like to make sure as it's the refrig that needs to be level.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
To me, I suspect there must be a more slick way that Airstream *could* do leveling...it likely would involve them installing a bit of hardware and such though.

I imagine something that runs off 12v power supply of the trailer and measures level and can transmit that data to a phone or something into an app, and you can reference that while leveling both side to side and front to back.

Airstream may eventually add this to their coaches, as tech stuff like this is booming...gives them another reason to up the price 10K with a couple features like that

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
Bud has some good advice, figure out what part of the trailer you want to be level and use a good carpenter level. (If you are REALLY fussy, reverse the level and see if it reads the same - it should.) I did that with my unit and then installed a round "target" level on the frame near the jack. Grind off a little paint and use some epoxy to install the level. The level is cheap, less than $5 I recall; they may come in a couple of versions being more or less sensitive.

With a little experience you can approach the campsite and see if blocking will be required under the wheels to get the left/right aspect where you want it. After unhitching the jack will get the fore and aft level. Simple an quick.

Whit Nash
Old 05-27-2016, 12:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You could just download an RV leveler smartphone app, so that you lay the phone on whatever flat surface you want to use as a reference point, and read the screen (the floor a couple of feet inside the entrance door works pretty well as a reference point). Some leveler apps will tell you exactly how high you need to raise the low side/end if you program in the dimensions of the trailer. Some will even talk to you (best used with a remote Bluetooth earpiece).

Just search for "trailer leveling app."

Since it's a 2011 trailer and the previous owner didn't install levels either, he must have used some sort of portable system, or else he just eyeballed it.
Oh man thanks for this tip you just saved me some time and money. I downloaded this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....caravan&hl=en

It works great! All I have to do is start the app, open my Airstream door and put my phone down on my kitchen counter. It then plays the commands through the bluetooth audio in my tow vehicle. With the Anderson leveling chocks, I just pull forward until it says level!
Old 05-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
We have yet to install, because Susan just had hip replacement surgery, but we saw this at a neighbors campsite and they demonstrated its use. They were very happy and we look forward to using. Uses a smartphone app.
http://www.command-electronics.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	263308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0736(1).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	263309  

JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Oh man thanks for this tip you just saved me some time and money. I downloaded this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....caravan&hl=en

It works great! All I have to do is start the app, open my Airstream door and put my phone down on my kitchen counter. It then plays the commands through the bluetooth audio in my tow vehicle. With the Anderson leveling chocks, I just pull forward until it says level!

Oh that is cool!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
Well, they kind of do this. On mine there's a bubble on top of the jack head. Level the trailer with a decent carpenter's level, then adjust the jack cover so it also shows level--you're done.

Many tell me it's not too important that leveling be anything more than comfortable, because the newer refrigerators aren't nearly as sensitive to being out of level.
Bob.

That costs too much money.

But, the leveling should never be done to the trailer, BUT IT SHOULD ALWAYS be done for the freezer compartment of the fridge. Then if the trailer is level as well, great. If not, then the fridge freezer bottom shelf dictates leveling.

If not, then the fridge could quit working.

The fridge leveling must be within 1/2 bubble, or else, when it's parked for more than a couple of hours. In motion, doesn't matter.

Andy