Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
less weight

I dont bake---havent ever used the furnace---or the airconditioner----how much weight would I lose if I eliminated these big three items [replacing the oven stove with a three burner slide-in]?--what would be your guess-say maybe 275 lbs?--thanx--jim from mich
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Jim,

Why are you looking to put your AS on a diet? Its not like you will gain much space by removing those items, why would you wnat to get rid of some nice amenities that make an AS an AS?

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Well its just that I dont use em and that less weight is a good thing right? without the oven I can use that space for storage-same goes for the furnace--as far as the air conditioner, well its down right ugly-both inside and out--a good spot for a new sky-lite. dOf course I'll be saving these items for the future-- I guess I've always been shocked at how heavy my airstream is !---so what do you think Dave?---250 pounds?----- how about replacing the airconditioner with a nice small jet cockpit windshield-open up the stream roof from the air cond hole to the next vent hole-sort of a skylite/observation pod!--ya, now were talking cool!----jim
Old 10-21-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Jim,

Is your trailer a tandem axel? if yes than that little bit a weight isn't all that much. While weight considerations in the 70's AS are important, so are the amenties and extras that AS is known for. The furnace does come in handy in Michigan we use ours for the cool spring and fall nights. We also use our oven alot too for the pot luck dinner items at rallies, for us it is nice to have it. My A/C unit will be replaced this next spring and it will be a welcome feature. The opening for the A/C is the same as the other vents (14" x 14"). Since you live in Michichigan you can go to Imaly City (I69 and M53) to the Fantastic vent company and they will sell you a vent and install it for free if you take the trailer to them, the fantastic fans are a life saver.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
You will be seriously reducing the funtionality for the next onwer.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
You can store stuff in the oven now......just don't forget to take it out, if and when you ever use it......pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
_

. , .
the weight reduction as described is closer to 150lbs....

and mostly the a/c.

you will replace the oven with "storage" bits (doors, drawers or shelves) not just a big hole....

the a/c is the heaviest item planned for removal, but again something else? will go there?

we own'em and can personalize at will, so resale may be so NOT an issue...

but a 23 without these 3 systems (or with the bits stored) is gonna lose value...

storing seems simple but reinstalling/connnecting years later is an adventure..

which wire goes where?
did the gas line just vanish?
i could have sworn the connection was here somewhere!
what NO ONE makes that fitting anymore!

and so on....

upgrading to aluminum lp tanks, and only carrying ONE,
going for lighter wheels/brakes (less un sprung weight)
or removing the rear bumper..
and leaving the spare tire at home...

might give equal/more weight savings

a/s is now building units without a bumper, although they FINALLY do include a spare tire...

of course hauling beer and wine from 7 states and a chilled case of d'bubbly, is MY biggest extra mass issue

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Well, you would shed a few pounds, but biggest concerns with weight tend to be not adding too much when you renovate. Saw one the other day with a granite sink top...gasp...but while you should be the number one person you want to please, be sure the gain outweighs the loss. No AC for me would mean no trailer use fro most of the year. Boondocking in TX in August is, well fine if you spend most of your time in a Sauna. Of course Venice CA, coatal breeze etc. and off grid, you could scrap the ac and save 100 pounds or so. I've seen some radical remakes that leave little of the original trailer on board. True, some folks gasp at the thought. Like taking a 32 coup and building a hot rod, end result will be loved bey many, hated by many...heck I had a friend who built two, one original and one rod and had no gult pangs at all (deep pockets though). Make it so you are happy fist!!!

What is the plan? If youre in to light and sleek you can keep the total weight down, but best to loose the extra shoes and canned goods then the spare tire Come to think of it, I dont have a spare tire :/
Old 10-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesardis
I dont bake---havent ever used the furnace---or the airconditioner----how much weight would I lose if I eliminated these big three items [replacing the oven stove with a three burner slide-in]?--what would be your guess-say maybe 275 lbs?--thanx--jim from mich
I like it. I agree, if you don't need it, and don't care about resale, ditch it. Don't forget about all the air resistance that ac generates going down the road. I know my canoe adds 2 mpg. The AC can't be to far behind.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 10-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
That much weight reduction isn't going to make a noticable difference in anything. Some states allow passengers to ride in towed trailers. If you were in one of those states, it would be the difference between having a largish man riding back there or not! It would be hard to feel in the tow vehicle and it wouldn't make but a speck of difference in gas mileage. To make an impact, you would have to reduce the weight 800 lbs. or more. The reality is loosing that much weight is possible and it will make a difference! Whether the changes are good or bad makes no difference to me, because it's not my trailer. I put my trailer or a similar diet and got around 800 lbs out of it, so I know it can be done without compromising the usefulness or pleasantness.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Thanx everyone-I find the diversity of opinions here vary alot-Its one of the things I like most about this forum thing-I guess that maybe removing these things wouldnt really lighten the load all that much--I was just thinking that they sure were not getting used all that much-mainly since I seem to only find time to stream in the fall and mainly in my home state of Michigan where its usually cool that time of year-then again Im pretty new to trailer camping so my experience is limited--One thing I know is that I really appreciate the the care this beautiful old 71 safari has been given by its PO's--and wouldnt want to take it too far astray--I hope to add to it, not detract, thats for sure!--------------on another note the mrs and I escaped to the national forest between Ludington and manistee on lake mich. for 4 days-had a blast!--not many people this time of yr.--beaches mostly deserted-a great time--didnt really understand why the water fill door pulled out like a dresser drawer till we ran out and used our pots and pans to refill--worked great--easy to pour into with a pan!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tom-orb+manistee 008.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	47786