Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2002, 05:19 PM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Talking Least expensive repair

Tonight I tackled a task that has needed doing since I bought my motorhome last spring. The oil seal on the curbside rear axle has been dripping(very slowly) gear oil and making a mess on the wheel, not to mention the smell. I assumed it was going to be a difficult fix, I was suprised. The PO had used some type of gasket in a tube to seal this when he put it back together after doing the rear brakes. I pulled the plate and cleaned the gasket goop off, and tried to reinstall without any gasket. (Peter, there were no ridges??) Still leaks, so I went to the Auto parts store and got a $4.59 roll of gasket material and cut one to fit and installed it. (Fred, add this one to your list) No more leak and the greasy wheel is now clean and shiney!

The jist of this is that so far this has been the leat expensive repair to date! We all try to get a good deal, so lets compare notes. What has been the least expensive repair that you have done/had done that you thought was going to be difficult or big $$.
This is not a contest so I declare light bulb replacement a waste of bandwidth
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 05:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

My black tank valve gate leaked. I tried soaking it with water and chemicals. I tried back flushing it. Nothing seemed to work so I decided to replace the valve. Well, I went to this rally and they were selling something called a "Flush King" which attaches to the valve and basically back flushes with pressure. End of problem. Thirty some dollars and 5 minutes labor.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 07:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Does a toad count?

Coming across Nebraska last summer with a '91 Geo Metro in tow. The road had very rough expansion joints. I stopped to eat, went back to the Geo and opened the driver's door, it dropped about 4 inches. I knew the pins were going but the hammering finished them.

When I got back I was going to replace them, but they were not available at the parts stores. The dealer sold new hinge assemblies at $80 each. Pulled the pins, welded them and turned them down on the lathe. Figured I saved $160 for an hours labor and some electricity.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Because I found an answer that may help me, thought I'd reply with one of my own...

Less than stellar ex-boyfriend changed wheels on trailer for me (okay, that was nice), but didn't bother to securely attach one of the hub grease covers. Down the road a ways - no cover and wheel bearing grease slung all over the pretty new wheel.

New grease cover - three dollars and change. Maybe not major, but eventually would have been.
Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up On our Classic 25...

Under couch drawer kept falling off the tracks when opened.
Cheep little plastic lock thingy broken.....

2 cent zip-tie fix...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07509.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	196245   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07506.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	196246  

Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
The least expensive repairs often involve simply removing some original part, giving it a good cleaning, repainting/resurfacing, and reinstalling with new screws, nails, rivets, sealant, electrical connectors, or whathaveyou. Nothing that a typical home workshop might already have on hand.

Lynn