Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2015, 05:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Newport Beach , California
LEAKS LEAKS more LEAKS in ATL

Just drove in to Atlanta during monsoon season with a 2009 FC. I'll be here for the next 3 months for school.
To my dismay, I have multiple leaks. I'm counting at least 6. One from each ceiling fans; one from bathroom vent; and 3 from ceiling over bed.
I'm assuming these are all coming from poor sealing around the fans.
Any suggestions or referrals much appreciated and needed.
Happy Holidays
parzam21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Eternabond tape if it ever dries out.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
x2 on the Eternabond AlumiBond tape.

https://www.bigrocksupply.com/store/...n-x-50-ft.aspx
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
I use vulkem polyurethane caulk. Comes in grey. Get up top and check all the seams around fans and all vents.(do every year at least) also check the seals under the vent lids and make sure they are shutting all the way.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
On all of our Avion's roof seams, after I cleaned them well, including removing all of the old sealant in the seams and around the vents, I applied a bead of ParBond in the seam, let it dry a bit, then covered the seams with the EternaBond AlumiBond 4" tape. The thing I liked about doing it this way is that once it's done, you can forget it for a long time. A yearly check of things is about all that's needed.
With good prep, that tape will stick and probably outlast you!

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
Old 12-26-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I hate to be a contrarian, but from my professional experience over the last 15 years, using Eternabond tape for a leak is like placing a Band-Aid over a wound that requires stitches. I have been called many times to correct leaks that were 'sealed' with Eternabond, only to start peeling and leaking in relatively short order………even those that have been properly prepped and sealed with a roller.

There are far better, more permanent solutions to solving leak problems, and these have been discussed at length in a sealant thread. Of course, as always…………YMMV!!!

In fact, I was just doing some re-organizing in my shop and found several rolls of the stuff……….all available at great prices!!!!

PM me for further information.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Prep is the key, as with anything that you want to adhere well.

How can you tell if something was prepped properly if you are coming in after the fact to fix it?

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
Old 12-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #9
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by parzam21 View Post
Just drove in to Atlanta during monsoon season To my dismay, I have multiple leaks. I'm counting at least 6. One from each ceiling fans; one from bathroom vent; and 3 from ceiling over bed.
I'm assuming these are all coming from poor sealing around the fans.
Any suggestions or referrals much appreciated and needed.
Happy Holidays
DUDE! I'm full timing in my '58 Caravanner in ATL and have found a few leaks again after this weeks ridiculous rain here too. All of them are from the dude that rebuilt this trailer & he sealed all this leaking stuff with a bunch of silicone...it's a process to get this junk off and reseal correctly with c-10 or vulkem...I've knocked them out one by one but always have to wait for things to dry out and clean the areas well before applying new sealant. I've used butyl tape as a temp quick fix if its still raining...
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
Where in atlanta? I have great repair guy on the south side.
paddle whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mission , Texas
We had to replace our fan because the plastic frame had many hairline cracks. Also had the bathroom vent sealed.
ghamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:34 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
AGREE - never ever put that #@^$ tape on your trailer - you will regret it or the next owner will! This rain is not the norm for the SE. I thought I had all my leaks fixed on my 67 but this rain found some more. If you are comfortable doing the work take and do the work. Temp fix for small leaks is creeping crack filler from VTS. NO SILICONE as stated above. You have about 24 hours with no rain ahead. Duct tape areas for temp stoppage It will remove easily enough. Remove all old sealants before applying new for sealant on sealant most often fails - But as someone in school as I was four 5 summers at Emory, I hope you have the time to DIY. Best of luck on school and the normal for course, leaks in an older AS.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Thank you all for your the great advice as usual. However, I think the problem maybe well above my expertise and pay grade. I went to Home Depot and bought some aluminum tape in the Interem to tape around fans, which helped. However, I'm getting leaks from the seams as well. I have a feeling I'm going to need prose sealing and I'm 3000 miles away from home.
Any good suggestions to repairs facility or mobile guy in ATL?
Old 12-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddle whisp View Post
Where in atlanta? I have great repair guy on the south side.
Would greatly appreciate his contact info. Is he a mobile repair guy?
Old 12-27-2015, 09:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I found the eternabond tape very effective and as permanent as the other sealants mentioned. Get the real stuff.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #16
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by parzam21 View Post
Thank you all for your the great advice as usual. However, I think the problem maybe well above my expertise and pay grade. I went to Home Depot and bought some aluminum tape in the Interem to tape around fans, which helped. However, I'm getting leaks from the seams as well. I have a feeling I'm going to need prose sealing and I'm 3000 miles away from home.
Any good suggestions to repairs facility or mobile guy in ATL?
you're in ATL come by my office we might be able to fix your issue at least for now without big cost until you assess it fully- i've got c10 (great for top surface) and a tube of vulkem i think. if anything we can see each others trailers and have a brew...
you should be able to contact me with my sig below if you want
or if i dare 678dot908dot9232
...i'm actually on the trailer now sealing a leak...
dave
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #17
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We had some serious leaks with Bambi the First, but it was under warranty from the dealer, so we just took it back to them and let them deal with it. If we weren't near an AS dealer, we'd probably just go to a good general RV service center for caulking. We get a full diagnostic on our AS once every year or so, as we put a lot of miles on it, and ask them to check the roof, after our early experiences.

(Some of us just aren't that handy, and don't mind leaving things to the pros.)
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
One thing not mentioned yet but is of extreme importance is FINDING THE LEAK SOURCE. There is really only one totally effective way to do this; place positive pressure inside the trailer and spray the outer shell with a soap solution.

The result will be bubbles at any leak point caused by air flowing from the inside of the trailer to the outside. Any other attempt, other than a verified visual point of water entry is just an excursive in futility in most cases.

Some RV dealers use a turbine based machine that uses a ceiling fan's frame as the entry for the air that will add pressure to the interior. Others have had some success using powerful leaf blowers sealed into a window opening to create the positive pressure. Either method will yield results that far exceed the hit and miss of trying to 'guess' where the leak is actually originating.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote