Old 12-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Crestone , Colorado
Which model of moisture meter works best?

Vagabond Bob
Salida, Colorado
2001 30 ft 70th. Anniversary
With slide out

Old 12-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
We use Delmhorst. They are very good, but there are probably many others. I've been buying these for 10+ years and so that's all I know.

Moisture Meters | Moisture Testers | Delmhorst Instrument Co.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Crestone , Colorado
Thank you. Do dry spots where there has not been a leak register some moisture? Or is the dry spot that has not leaked what you call zero. I hope I make myself clear all wood has some moisture doesn't it? Or are the spots with leaks so different that it is apparent? I really like the idea of checking with a meter regularly. It makes good sense.
Thank you

Vagabond Bob
Salida, Colorado
2001 30 ft 70th. Anniversary
With slide out
Old 12-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Just a comment about moisture meter readings. I purchased one at Lowes with the points on the end of the unit, not as handy as your corded model, and one day I was using it and on my first few readings I was getting medium readings- yikes, then I went in the garage and poked it into a plywood panel in the garage mind you; and it gave me the same reading- medium. I believe in the need to check but I found that the reading may be impacted as you mentioned by the humidity. I "assumed" that after my discovery that anything above the reading that day of medium would was problem- ya?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like the Sonin because it's cheap and works very well with its probe on the end of the cord so you can reach and read had to reach areas, like inside the storage compartments. Normally this meter registers 0 moisture in the trailer but it doesn't take much to move the needle, not enough to feel damp to the touch. So you have to use some judgment if you see a little needle deflection.

A tip. In the storage compartments there is a metal plate, you can't probe through it. But if you remove a few screws and take loose the plastic baseboard trim, there will probably be a gap so the probes can reach the plywood subfloor.

Speaking of those plastic baseboard trim screws, they screw into the plywood subfloor and if they have been wet the threads will be dull or corroded, even rusty when you remove them. Another leak detection method.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
My GT is the exception to the saying "all Airstreams leak". It took a great deal of work to get there but I think it was worth it.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I bet you could make a submarine out of that thing Kip.

Perry
Old 12-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #22
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
All my boats have 'leaked'. My AS has leaked... Although frustrating, it was also a great feeling to finally FIX that leak! Now, I can 'check' on a regular basis, knowing where MY AS "prefers to leak"....

Do the same with YOUR AS... you will find out where YOUR AS leaks.. and you WILL be ok!!! But, remember...remember!!!! This is a RELATIONSHIP!!! if you Ignore it, you will regret it someday.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #23
Perspective Owner

Currently Looking...
Fairhope , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
All my boats have 'leaked'. My AS has leaked... Although frustrating, it was also a great feeling to finally FIX that leak! Now, I can 'check' on a regular basis, knowing where MY AS "prefers to leak"....

Do the same with YOUR AS... you will find out where YOUR AS leaks.. and you WILL be ok!!! But, remember...remember!!!! This is a RELATIONSHIP!!! if you Ignore it, you will regret it someday.
Yes I understand, I run a maintenance department on an oil rig and know all about preventative maintenance, it is in my blood. Thanks
Old 12-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
From my reading the threads on this forum about leaks the models that seem to most prone to water infiltration from around the rear bumper seem to be the Safari mid 2000 model years.

My Class 25fb seems OK using my Sonin meter in the rear floor under the dinette and the front floor around the pano window so far. I do notice what seems to be a black sealant applied on the floor under the rear dinette. I'm thinking AS applied a sealant on the subfloor perimeter where the shell is attached so any water coming in wouldn't soak into the plywood subfloor if some caulking failed. I still check every few months especially if the trailer was caught in a rain. Maybe AS didn't apply this on subfloors of the Safari units in mid 2000 model years.

Other areas are around the outside storage doors. Checked out a 2005 25SS for sale and the first place I looked at was inside the rear storage door over the rear bumper. The floor was soaked as the trailer was stored outside and it had been raining a lot.

Kelvin