Old 05-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
If you tour the factory during working hours, you'll get to see the high pressure soaking garage that the trailers get pulled through before the interior is installed. Certainly not fool-proof, but a respectable effort. No leaks in my 2000 skin, but the now-obsolete windows were leaking because of bad gaskets - now replaced.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
You might as well get up there and see how it is put together - you'll have to sooner or later. You could put a dab of Sikaflex 221 (it's what my closest A/S dealer provided to me when for the Shur-Flo power vent I got from him) over the mounting screws and around the brackets for the panels where they meet the roof, if it looks like it was missed during the install. You might find them already slathered in sealant, and will need to look elsewhere. At least you'll be dealing from a position of knowledge when you talk to either dealer.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
If you ever watch the "how its made" video on Airstreams , you will wonder why there any that don't leak.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Talking Ultimate cure for your leaks

Maybe you should dump it on some unsuspecting sucker, like me! Damn, that Eddie Bauer is one fine unit.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Bruce,
I love Range and Land Rovers. They are a tinkerers delight. I've never owned a new one so I don't know about new quality. The old ones would break if you looked at them.
Having said that I live on the rainy side of the mountains and I've had my new FC for about 5 months. Knock on aluminum. I agree with the advice regarding the dealer fix. I plan on leaving mine uncovered for the warranty period so any leak problems I may have will show up.
Dan
Old 05-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I'm with you dan'. Expose the new trailer to the elements and use the heck out of during the warranty period, find the assembly flaws. After that I'll probably store it under cover.

doug k
Old 05-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Land rovers are like an AS. The older they are the better they are.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Land rovers are like an AS. The older they are the better they are.
May I have some of that Kool Aid ???
Actually, the favorite LR that I ever owned was a 1962 "88" that was a lot of fun in spite of the "tinkering" it needed to keep it running. Shortly after that I graduated to an ex NATO military 109 that I sold to buy a grey market Range Rover 2 door. Then I grew up and gave up !
Never looked back.

Our Airstream has had a list of factory "oops's" but so far no leaks in the skin that I have found. I fix everything myself as most of the issues have been simple and quick. I find it helpful to keep a watchful eye on her.... but she is no Land Rover!!!!

Bruce
Old 05-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #23
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr1974 View Post
Have had my new Eddie Bauer 25 for 6 days. Yesterday while getting it ready for the maiden voyage I noticed a small leak coming out from under the alum panel in the wardrobe. Are Airstreams the Land Rovers of the trailer world? Stylish, expensive, rugged, but leak like an old wooden rowboat.

I figure it must be from the solar panel installation as that is the only thing that has been done to it. What kind of sealant can I use? It is more of a hassle to bring to a dealer then it is worth if i can just put a little caulking up there.
First of all, you bought it from someone for a lot of money and they have to stand behind it. Take it to who you bought it from/did the work and make them stand behind what they did. To go else where lets them off the hook and also leaves them unaware of the mistake they made. Fixing it yourself will void the warranty.
Secondly, water travels incredible distances before it shows itself. You might be VERY wrong about where it is coming from. I can think of a number of things that could cause it. By chance, were you filling the tank as part of your preparation?
Thirdly, it is not clear if you bought it 6 days ago and now the leak or you had a panel installed 6 days ago and now it leaks.

Forth, to ALL OF YOU running down Airstream, making jokes about sending them back to aluminum school, talking the product down; go buy a Prowler and see how happy you will be. At the last RV show I went to there was a real nice 24 foot Wilderness, with two flat screens for $15k. It smelled like manufactured home and everything was made of plastic.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I don't think it is too much to expect that an Airstream , which costs 3 to 4 times as much as a Prowler, shouldn't leak. Dealing with a leak gives one the right to joke about Airstream quality or lack thereof. And, my Safari is full of cheap RV standard stuff.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I drove my '67 Land Rover Series IIa to Alaska in '72. Forty years later (last year) I drove there again with my AS in tow (but not a LR towing).

Q: Why don't the British build computers?

A: That haven't figured out how to make them leak oil.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander

Forth, to ALL OF YOU running down Airstream, making jokes about sending them back to aluminum school, talking the product down; go buy a Prowler and see how happy you will be. At the last RV show I went to there was a real nice 24 foot Wilderness, with two flat screens for $15k. It smelled like manufactured home and everything was made of plastic.
62:
All in good humor! I of course would never trade my AS for the fiberglass version. I am sitting under my awning in a campground now as the only airstream in a sea of fiberglass, not jealous a bit.
I would take a leaky airstream over most others any day of the week!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First of all they are not like Land Rovers. The electrical system is not from Lucas, so it has to be better.

Some Airstreams seem to leak a lot and other hardly do. I suppose it depends on who did the sealing. The shower at the factory tells only whether it leaks at that moment and 20 minutes there does not equal heavy rains for hours and hours at 50 mph. Most are towed to the dealers and along the way seals can break. Trailers flex when moving and sealants will eventually let go.

But some designs are poorly done too. The skylights are notorious for leaking. The brackets on the side for the awnings are poorly fitted to the body and not sealed well. The courtesy (running) lights are leakers too. Panos leak, fans leak. Screws on roof penetrations on plastic parts are screwed down too hard, break the plastic, and leak.

There was a guy in Oregon several years ago whose trailer leaked so much, I think they took it back and he got another one. I don't know what kind of deal he made, but it can get that bad.

As for the solar, just call the nearest dealer and ask them what they will do for you. Maybe the dealer that installed it will pay the local dealer for the work. One dealer makes some money and the other doesn't have to deal with an angry customer. Even if you bought the trailer somewhere else, the local guy wants the repair money for warranty work from Airstream. Car dealers make their money from warranty work, not selling cars; maybe RV dealers have the same business model.

Solar panels should be attached to the roof with two sided tape. This stuff has incredibly strong glue. When we got ours, the dealer installed a panel and ran the electrical cable through the roof—unnecessary because the trailer is prewired for this and they were so dumb they didn't know to use the factory cable. Even now the panel should be remounted with tape and any screw holes sealed—once they are sealed they should stay that way for a long time because there will be no stress on the sealant.

Frank is right. Leaks don't always come from where you'd think. Water trickles down through the insulation and not only likes gravity, but the path of least resistance. It could also come from a fan, skylight, or anything remotely close to where the water comes out.

Maybe this isn't going to make you feel better, but better now than when you are a week from home.

Gene
Old 06-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
ONLY use factory recommended sealant, NEVER use silicone.........

howco is offline   Reply With Quote