Old 06-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Scottsdale , Arizona
Leaking A/C Condensate fitting

I have a leaking condensate drain fitting on the A/C unit of my 2006 Safari. It leaks where the fitting enters what looks like a collection pan. There is a hex on the fitting that doesnít seem to do much. The previous owner slathered it with sealant that didnít stick well. The condensate line is not plugged. Any ideas on what it takes to seal this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79E501E5-4E87-4C84-A5EE-0F54AFB0A786.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	344152  

SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
While I'm not familiar with that exact air conditioner or fitting, just looking at the picture I'd be inclined to want to take the fitting out and re o-ring it or reseal it as is applicable.

You'll need access to the other side of the fitting as it will likely have a nut on the back side.

Also, the chances are fair that the fitting will break in the process, so being prepared with a new fitting before starting the process might not be an awful idea. (But I'd probably chance it)

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
What kind of AC?

I have a Dometic Penguin. found a leak where the tube comes out of the pan and used the silicone slather technique. Still leaked. Took off the interior cover and found a crack in the pan. More slather. So far it is holding, but is living on borrowed time.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Same problem, along with another crack in the pan. This was 2010 on a 2007 with Penguin.

I used sort of the same technique, but....cleaned all the old sealer (prior repair attempt), roughed up, carefully, the areas needing sealer, and used JB weld. It's been almost 9 years leak free.

Take the time and effort to remove the pan and do a careful, patient bench repair. Trust me.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Scottsdale , Arizona
Getting to the back side of that fitting is going to be tough w/o a lot of disassembly and resealing. And who knows what other troubles are under the other layers of sealant. Had not thought of JB weld. Thatís a great idea. Too much work to do before next weekendís outing to Mt Lemmon, AZ. Hopefully it will be cool enough and we wonít need the A/C. Iíll disassemble and seal when we get back. Thanks!
Steve
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKSmith View Post
Getting to the back side of that fitting is going to be tough w/o a lot of disassembly and resealing. And who knows what other troubles are under the other layers of sealant. Had not thought of JB weld. That’s a great idea. Too much work to do before next weekend’s outing to Mt Lemmon, AZ. Hopefully it will be cool enough and we won’t need the A/C. I’ll disassemble and seal when we get back. Thanks!
Steve
I just don't recall it being a horrible disassembly job...but that was a long time ago. I know I did it all from inside, without disturbing the A/C unit mounting to the roof. I am assuming you have a Penguin. I did not have that hex design. The pan nipple was molded into the pan on mine....weakly. I am thinking that PO drilled out the original nipple and installed that jamb nut design. No matter JB it either way.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #7

2003 22' International
Mississauga , Ontario
Hi. I had the exact same problem on my 2003 International. Went to the shop and was told that to get to the internal nut holding the nipple fitting on would require removing the AC and pan from above, and that that was a big job. So, he cut away blob of grey caulking, dried it off as much as possible, and used MARINE caulking to seal around it. Absolutely did the trick. The Marine caulking can go on wet surfaces, although we dried it to be sure. Good luck!
SS110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:09 PM   #8
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have two A/Cs, one leaked, the other hasn't. JC pulled the unit and installed an updated pan. No more leaks.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
We had the same problem on our 96 34'er. The pan was cracked and the only reliable option was to go to the newer system of a couple "cups" that replace the pan that the A/C sits on.
Two people can do the job, and it is quite a project, but it can be done. Our repair was made 3 years ago, and works perfectly. The kit is available from Dometic, and well worth the money.

Good luck!
Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote