Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Leak Repair

I just bought a 1968 Streamline and after the rain last night I see that it has several leaks. One is in the middle of the roof out of a rivet about 6 inches away from one of the roof vents, the other is around a window above the wheel hub, and the other was around the door. I'm guessing the roof will be easy to fix with some type of sealant (any suggestions on a good sealant?), and the door is probably a matter of replacing the seal, but I'm not sure about what to do about the leak around the window, it may be coming in from around the frame and needs to also be sealed but I think it may also be because the louvered window doesn't close up as tightly as the other windows... if that's the case what could I do with the louvered window to keep it from leaking? Caulk it closed or are they fairly easy to repair?
Trixella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
I'm currently in the middle of sealing mine.

Lots of differing opinions on this forum. Many sealants, different reviews.
Here's what I am doing:

1) roof: tremco 635 around perimeter of the Astradome skylight vent and around the plumbing vent. It's not real pretty, even in small bead, so I'm using it primarily up top where no one is looking. Smaller seams up top will be Parbond in aluminum color. Rivets will be sealed with Capt Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure.

2) As I come down the edges of the roof where line of sight starts, I am going to switch over to Capt Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure so the seams and rivet sealing is nearly invisible.

3) around windows/doors/trim: Parbond in the aluminum color is very nice looking around windows, doors, trim if you keep the bead small with the assistance of taping. Very happy with how it is blending it.

Then next week I will be replacing all of the glazing around windows.

Parbond around a window:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1414798906.348072.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	888.0 KB
ID:	225456

Tremco 635 around vent:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1414798982.316657.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	799.8 KB
ID:	225458

Hope this helps. I may be doing it wrong, but I like the way it is looking so far. Very subtle at eye level.
grayling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
Forgot to add - I believe it is Vintage Trailer Supply that carries the louvered window gaskets.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
Trempro. Auto correct, you are my nemesis.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
That Parbond looks really good, but I just now got home from Home Depot and picked up a tube of clear silicone sealant. Unfortunately we are going to get a lot of rain for a few days starting on Sunday so I need to try to get it sealed up tomorrow. Do you know of any problems with using silicone sealer? Wish I had time to get the Parbond.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
You don't want to use silicone on your Airstream. It doesn't adhere properly, and leaves a residue to which the correct sealants won't bond.

You're best to wait and use the proper sealant.

Here's a list of possibilities:

For wheel wells/underbody:

Vulkem 116
Trempro 635
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant Gray

Roof

Silkaflex 721 White
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant White
Dicor self-levelling sealant
Loctite® PL® S30 Polyurethane Roof and Flashing Sealant

Windows/Trim/Rubrail

Silkaflex 221 Gray
Parbond Gray or Clear (small hand tubes)
Loctite® PL® S40 Polyurethane Window Door and Siding Sealant

Small seams (between aluminum panels)/Exterior Lights

Acryl-R (small cans)

Rivet sealer

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixella View Post
That Parbond looks really good, but I just now got home from Home Depot and picked up a tube of clear silicone sealant. Unfortunately we are going to get a lot of rain for a few days starting on Sunday so I need to try to get it sealed up tomorrow. Do you know of any problems with using silicone sealer? Wish I had time to get the Parbond.
Unfortunately you may not be able to find any of the recommended sealants locally,you should give Your local Fastenal a call to see if. They have it in stock,may have otherwise you can order it from various vendors like Vintage Trailer supply.
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Capt Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure
Where do you get this? Is it only available online? I see on ebay that you can only get it from the UK.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Captain Tolleys and Parbond are both available at Vintage Trailer Supply. You might find one or the other at your local RV supply store as well. Also amazon.com though Capt. Tolleys appears to be out of stock on Amazon at the moment.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
I'm going to get some of the Capt Tolleys for the visible rivets but is it alright for me to use the Loctite PS30 on the roof rivets?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
While the Loctite would probably work fine, the result might look a little 'messy'. If you have problem rivets on the roof you might be better with something like Dicor, which 'flows' a little and ends up smooth looking on horizontal surfaces. I'm assuming that this would be on the white part of the roof (do 68s have white panels on the roof?). Dicor is ready available.

If not on white portion, then aluminum coloured Parbond might be a good bet.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Well, it looks like the Loctite has caused tarnished streaks all over my trailer that I haven't been able to remove with denatured alcohol, acetone, or paint stripper. Ugh!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
I'm going to get some of the Capt Tolleys for the visible rivets but is it alright for me to use the Loctite PS30 on the roof rivets?
West marine has Capt Tolleys if you have a West Marine near you
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Well, it looks like the Loctite has caused tarnished streaks all over my trailer that I haven't been able to remove with denatured alcohol, acetone, or paint stripper. Ugh!
Ouch! Mineral spirits is the recommended solvent to use when applying this sealant, you might give it a try. Did you have wet weather after you applied this? Apparently it takes a day to skin over and a week to cure.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Ouch! Mineral spirits is the recommended solvent to use when applying this sealant, you might give it a try. Did you have wet weather after you applied this? Apparently it takes a day to skin over and a week to cure.
It rained about 3 days after I applied it. I'll try mineral spirits but I'm not holding out too much hope on it because the soy paint stripper I use that turns the dried sealant to mush didn't touch it.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
The mineral spirits didn't touch it, but I finally found something that did...

Eagle One Never Dull metal wadding paste polish (from Auto Zone)
Old 12-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
The mineral spirits didn't touch it, but I finally found something that did...

Eagle One Never Dull metal wadding paste polish (from Auto Zone)
Excellent. In the meantime I'll remove this caulk from the list.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Excellent. In the meantime I'll remove this caulk from the list.
Probably wise, but its a shame because it's easy to pick up from Home Depot, instead of having to order online.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
I just bought a 1968 Streamline and after the rain last night I see that it has several leaks. One is in the middle of the roof out of a rivet about 6 inches away from one of the roof vents, the other is around a window above the wheel hub, and the other was around the door. I'm guessing the roof will be easy to fix with some type of sealant (any suggestions on a good sealant?), and the door is probably a matter of replacing the seal, but I'm not sure about what to do about the leak around the window, it may be coming in from around the frame and needs to also be sealed but I think it may also be because the louvered window doesn't close up as tightly as the other windows... if that's the case what could I do with the louvered window to keep it from leaking? Caulk it closed or are they fairly easy to repair?
I've got the same problem, purchased my '72 Sov this summer and wasn't expecting so much rain (everyone kept saying Nor Cal was in for another dry winter) well, we've just had 12" in 7 days and a load more to come!
Andy from Inland suggested new seals for the vent pipes, very important. I did this already and most definitely working.
i have a ton of water seeping through at that front, so guess I'll start by sealing around the windows. coming in through the roof too somewhere ...
Can the actual seams leak? how to seal these without spoiling the original "look"
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Can the actual seams leak? how to seal these without spoiling the original "look"
The seams on the roof and end caps can leak. There's a sealant available on vintagetrailersupply.com called aluminum gutter seal that is good to use on the sides/windows/all visible parts of the trailer. It is a squeeze tube and it actually has an action that sucks it into the seams so it's as fine of a bead/seal as you're going to get.