Old 11-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Ouch! Mineral spirits is the recommended solvent to use when applying this sealant, you might give it a try. Did you have wet weather after you applied this? Apparently it takes a day to skin over and a week to cure.
It rained about 3 days after I applied it. I'll try mineral spirits but I'm not holding out too much hope on it because the soy paint stripper I use that turns the dried sealant to mush didn't touch it.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
The mineral spirits didn't touch it, but I finally found something that did...

Eagle One Never Dull metal wadding paste polish (from Auto Zone)

Old 12-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixella View Post
The mineral spirits didn't touch it, but I finally found something that did...

Eagle One Never Dull metal wadding paste polish (from Auto Zone)
Excellent. In the meantime I'll remove this caulk from the list.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Excellent. In the meantime I'll remove this caulk from the list.
Probably wise, but its a shame because it's easy to pick up from Home Depot, instead of having to order online.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixella View Post
I just bought a 1968 Streamline and after the rain last night I see that it has several leaks. One is in the middle of the roof out of a rivet about 6 inches away from one of the roof vents, the other is around a window above the wheel hub, and the other was around the door. I'm guessing the roof will be easy to fix with some type of sealant (any suggestions on a good sealant?), and the door is probably a matter of replacing the seal, but I'm not sure about what to do about the leak around the window, it may be coming in from around the frame and needs to also be sealed but I think it may also be because the louvered window doesn't close up as tightly as the other windows... if that's the case what could I do with the louvered window to keep it from leaking? Caulk it closed or are they fairly easy to repair?
I've got the same problem, purchased my '72 Sov this summer and wasn't expecting so much rain (everyone kept saying Nor Cal was in for another dry winter) well, we've just had 12" in 7 days and a load more to come!
Andy from Inland suggested new seals for the vent pipes, very important. I did this already and most definitely working.
i have a ton of water seeping through at that front, so guess I'll start by sealing around the windows. coming in through the roof too somewhere ...
Can the actual seams leak? how to seal these without spoiling the original "look"
Old 12-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Can the actual seams leak? how to seal these without spoiling the original "look"
The seams on the roof and end caps can leak. There's a sealant available on vintagetrailersupply.com called aluminum gutter seal that is good to use on the sides/windows/all visible parts of the trailer. It is a squeeze tube and it actually has an action that sucks it into the seams so it's as fine of a bead/seal as you're going to get.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
The rivots can also leak, Captain Tolleys is great for rivots... it's an epoxy that's thinner than water so it's good at getting into the hair thin cracks around rivots. Also, on the seams you have to get off all the old sealant first before putting new sealer on.