Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Don't sweat the petty stuff
and don't pet the sweaty stuff
or something like that...
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
the already gutted 1's are the best deals as owners gave up , wife wants it gone ! got my 64 overlander for 350.00 , paid 1500.00 for my current 62 safari .
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Sometimes present owners fit into the same catagory...

What Was I Thinking When I Did THAT!!!!
Quite a few times I have thought of bringing it back to the PO and just telling him to please take it back!!! To late for that now, I think I may just get buried in it so I don't pass on the disease!

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Keeping a record of your expenses for a complete restoration will send you into a deep depression. DON'T DO IT!

Depressed Becky

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #65
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Keeping a record of your expenses for a complete restoration will send you into a deep depression. DON'T DO IT!

Depressed Becky

Also...check local requirements, Spousal Insurance may be required on any "full monty".

Bob
Old 02-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is a good idea for insurance purposes. It you know what you paid for it and what you put into it then you can make a good case for what it is worth to you not it's scrap value.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post

Depressed Becky
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Livonia , Michigan
"Whatever you're good at won't need work. What will need work is whatever you are no good at".
SafariFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Nova Scotia
Couple things to add: maybe too obvious but hey :)

1. The Internet is your friend. Read these forums!
2. Pex and Sharkbite are your friend. Worth every cent if trying to fix the plumbing.
3. Make a list of issues then ask yourself, how many of these things are really needed in order to enjoy the trailer for the amount of use it will get over the course of the season? Prioritize then pick a project or two a year.
4. If you can build a carport for your trailer do it.
mpovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
How about:

Almost anyone looking for a *project* vintage trailer wants one that is gutted/cosmetically challenged and is still structurally, mechanically and electrically intact (and has a clean exterior). Unfortunately, it's probably the least likely to find.

The best way to (rehab) a Green Airstream is to leave it *original*.

Classified ads stating "ready to camp" is completely subjective.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Measure twice
Cut once
Pound to fit!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
"Next time will be a frame off!"
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:56 AM   #72
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Know your tools....

Tools Explained

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKIL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans.. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a BITCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

I posted this on the "tool box thread", I think it warrants repeating.

Hope you found it informative.

Bob

Old 03-17-2012, 02:16 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Make sure you complete the big items on the honey dew list first. The items you promised that would get completed by a set time.

Brian
Old 03-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Tools Explained

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKIL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans.. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a BITCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

I posted this on the "tool box thread", I think it warrants repeating.

Hope you found it informative.

Bob

Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
The sour taste of poor quality workmanship lingers long after the sweetness of a good deal wears off.

Airstream made it, I made it better. Oooo one more....

It is more difficult to rebuild a reputation than to maintain it.

Do it right and DON'T use particle board.
Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
The bathroom will NOT be a "piece of cake" unless your cake is made of three weeks worth of band aids, flying tools and very foul language.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Just wanted to chime in here and say I had a good laugh and now feel better about my endeavors, for I am not alone.

Recent phrasing that has been uttered (or yelled) has included:

"Oh for the love of..."
"Why Why WHYYY would he..."
"EVERY WINDOW IS DOUBLE PANED?!?!"
"You gotta be !@#!@% kidding me"
"Is ANY wall on this thing..."
"How in the hell did they get that screw..."
"How can I... without removing..."
"No, seriously, EVERY window..."
"Seven locks, one key, and it only opens the freshwater fill lock?!?"
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
"When I get done restoring my trailer, it is going to last another 35 years! By the time I get done, I will only live another 5."

"Thanks to my Airstream, I have already outlived my money."

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pierre , South Dakota
Time spent

In aviation we had a saying" fly one hour work on it two". Lets see I spent 2.5 hours driving home and I've got about 80 hours work in it this week. Hope that not a constant ratio.
195Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Livonia , Michigan
The smallest part (wire-nut) can lead to the longest job (2 weeks chasing down a short in the 12V system). Oh, what an adventure.
SafariFaye is offline   Reply With Quote