Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #1

Panama City beach , Florida
Land Yacht roof leak

Hey Gang, I'm looking at a land yacht and thinking about buying it. Of course there are some problems with it, but the most important is the roof. I am really wondering if sealing the roof is a big deal or am I going to be spending years battling this? I can't really tell where the leak is coming from. Maybe around one of the ac units?

Thanks in advance,
J
Jbone78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #2

Panama City beach , Florida
I guess my real question is how easy is it to seal a roof? Is is something a weekend warrior such as myself can do? Or is it a master airstreamer's job?

J
Jbone78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
You don't say how long it was leaking. It would make a huge difference in how much destruction took place. People have had to repair floors if it was a long term leak. AC units are front and back, small leak could be just the condensate dripping or a bad gasket.
Would have to remove unit, inspect and go from there. Have you been up on the roof?
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
ours started out with several leaks.... not much damage, however... it was a California trailer... the remaining leak that we can't seems to ever get fixed is the AC leak... we cover the AC when it rains... works for us... good luck...
Old 07-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
First, what year, and model of Land Yacht are you looking at? Second: how do you know that the roof is leaking?

Basically, any Airstream has thousands of rivets, many seams, and several penetrations (doors, windows, hatches, vents, chimney, etc.). These are all opportunities for leaks.

If you are convinced the leak is coming from above (ie., there is a rotten spot dead in the middle of the floor), then it might narrow down the area you need to look at. Any weekend warrior can clean and reseal a seam, but it could be leaking screws/rivets/gaskets that will take a bit more expertise.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote