Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Kwikee Electric Step Problem

Purchased a used 2005 Safari 25 last summer. Electric steps have been working fine until recently. Now the steps will not always stay down when parked and overide switch on (they raise and lower when I shut the door). But the problem is intermittent... sometimes they stay down and sometimes they don't, and I cannot seem to find a variable that causes this. First guess was user errror; second guess bad switch, third guess something on door sensor. Could not find any threads on this issue, any help greatly appreciated.
driftwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Several years ago I had a similar issue with the electric step on a 1994 Land Yacht motorhome. All the relevant switches and wiring were OK, and the final fix was replacing the step motor.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
The power, ignition switch line, master switch, motor and door sensor all connect to a control board or module. The ones I've seen were located next to the motor/gearbox assy. I would crawl under there and replug all the connections to be sure they are tight and clean and ditto for any ground connections you can find. Also inspect the connection at the door sensor, etc. Intermittent problems go hand in hand with our neat toys, and the solution can often be elusive. Just be mindful to look before you step out and check the steps in your mirror before you drive off.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Thanks for the input. I did reinspect the wiring and connections, and found a loose in line fuse. Reseated it but it did not fix it. I then wiggled the wires that go to the door sensor, and it started working. I tested it 10 times and still worked. Not sure if it will stop working after towing downt the road, but will see. Would like to inpsect the actual connection to the door switch, but it was not readily apparent how to access it to inspect it...
Old 07-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Ok, the problem has returned. One likely candidate is some kind of small junction box?? where a bunch of wires hook into. Shaking it around seemed to make it work for a few trips, but now that will not work. Not sure what this "box" is for... would like to replace it, any ideas? It is about 1 inch square, and has 4 or 5 wires that hook to it.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Here is photo of it....
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood1 View Post
Here is photo of it....
That device in your photo looks like a relay. I have no idea why it is even used, as a standard Kwikee installation does not have an external relay, nor is one called for anywhere in the wiring schematic. I have never seen one used in any other Kwikee installation that I have worked on, and there have been many!

I would mark which relay terminal the colored wires are attached to and then remove the relay and try a replacement. Any automotive supply house should have them. I would suspect a 30 amp DC relay. Look for terminal numbers like 30, 85, 86 and 87 imbedded into the relay surface.

PS: it should NOT be hanging freely, but should have a mounting tab where a screw fastens it to a hard surface.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I'm with Lewster. 3 wires just screams relay. 1 for power in 1 for power out and a trigger.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Looks like 4 actually, There is a yellow wire hiding right behind he center wire. That would give you power in, ground and 2 for the load thru the contacts, in and out.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Lewster, I removed the relay. It had four wires. The steps work fine now, even with the wires just hanging there not connected to anything. Should I just cut seal off the ends and cable tie them, or put a new relay in? What purpose was it serving?
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Lewster, I removed the relay. It had four wires. The steps work fine now, even with the wires just hanging there not connected to anything. Should I just cut seal off the ends and cable tie them, or put a new relay in? What purpose was it serving?
Interesting! Tough to say...especially if the steps are WORKING with the relay disconnected.

I would get some 1/4" male connectors and place them into the existing 4 connectors at the end of the wires and then zip tie them up and out of the way. Just in case you find something else in the coach is not working......

Like I said above, I have never seen a Kwikee Steps installation using a relay in the power circuit.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Thanks, will do. May buy another similar relay and keep on hand just in case something goes awry without it...
Old 07-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Lewster, could the relay be to override the step switch when the ignition is turned on in the event you forget to flip the switch before towing?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Thanks, will do. May buy another similar relay and keep on hand just in case something goes awry without it...

Possibly, but there is an ignition over ride circuit in the step control unit. No need for an external relay device.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357