Old 05-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
Used to have the problem with doors open and things tossed about until I got an air hitch. My Dodge Ram 3500 had too stiff a suspension and was just tossing the poor trailer about.

-Alden

Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by twestover View Post
We have a 2009 Flying Cloud 27 FB, and the kitchen cabinets and drawers pop and slide open during travel. Has anyone else had that problem? Ideas would be welcome! We are leaving Friday for a 2 month trip to Alaska.
Terri
Several things can contribute to the problem, individually and/or collectively.

Excessive rated tow vehile, excessive rated hitch bars, unbalanced running gear, and bad axle rubber rods.

Airstreams must have a soft, smooth ride.

Anything that creates or contributes to shaking, bouncing etc, will cause cabinets opening, drawers opening, shearing of rivets inside and out, cracks in the frame, cracks in the shell, and broken 120 wires.

Andy

Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Or, why a truck is unnecessary to tow an Airstream, even contraindicated.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
We have used extra latches. The type you would use to "baby - proof" your kitchen for a toddler. Available at babies R us, or any big box.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
thanks so much.....

For all of your ideas about this. We were able to get into the Airstream dealer here in Portland yesterday. The cabinets above the kitchen encounter were way out of adjustment, very loose. Now they are very tight, and we shall see if that helps. That doesn't settle the issue of the drawers, however. I did write to Airstream in Ohio and they said there are two "weights" of latches, and that we probably need the heavier of the two. they also suggested baby latches for the cabinets. I thought we were past all that! I also checked the contents of the cabinets and I don't feel like they have too much stuff, but maybe they do. One drawer has silverware in a silverware holder and that's it and it pops open often. That seems pretty reasonable to me. One of the bigger cabinets does have stuff like containers of flour and sugar and coffee, etc.

I greatly appreciate all of your input. We are going to check the hitch issues this morning. We do have 600 pound torsion bars from the trailer to the truck.

For now, our lovely trailer is decorated with duct tape as we head north tomorrow.

Again, thank you all so much for your input. It takes a village to tow an Airstream! For those of you with an interest in the Alaska trips, we are going to blog during the trip. tandhalaska2012@blogspot.com. We promise to post great pictures and tell everyone about good (and bad) campsites.

Terri and Hal Hendrix
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
OK an update. When we first bought the AS, we had an F350 and the hitch dealer (which had little experience with Airstreams, gave me 1200 lb bars. I too, notice a crack in the shell from the bottom left hand corner of the storage door compartment behind the propane and batteries. After read many articles on hitches etc., I went back to the dealer and switched to 800 lb bars. The difference in ride was immediate. Move up to today and we are towing with a 2011 F250. After reading some of the posts here, I decided to have the tires balance before we left. The tire dealer called me latter and said he couldn't balance the tires (Marathons) because they were out of round. I was a little reluctant to buy new tires that probably had less than 15K miles on them until I check the dates on the Marathons. They were a little over 4 years old. That was enough for me as we were starting a 6K round trip to Alaska. So I got back on the forums and went with new 10 ply TowMasters. We were only on the road for a few miles and you could really feel the difference. I also put a section of 1/2" emt tube down thru the drawer pulls. So far only a couple of minor spills on these very rough roads. We have ordered stronger latches from the dealer.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
OK an update. When we first bought the AS, we had an F350 and the hitch dealer (which had little experience with Airstreams, gave me 1200 lb bars. I too, notice a crack in the shell from the bottom left hand corner of the storage door compartment behind the propane and batteries. After read many articles on hitches etc., I went back to the dealer and switched to 800 lb bars. The difference in ride was immediate. Move up to today and we are towing with a 2011 F250. After reading some of the posts here, I decided to have the tires balance before we left. The tire dealer called me latter and said he couldn't balance the tires (Marathons) because they were out of round. I was a little reluctant to buy new tires that probably had less than 15K miles on them until I check the dates on the Marathons. They were a little over 4 years old. That was enough for me as we were starting a 6K round trip to Alaska. So I got back on the forums and went with new 10 ply TowMasters. We were only on the road for a few miles and you could really feel the difference. I also put a section of 1/2" emt tube down thru the drawer pulls. So far only a couple of minor spills on these very rough roads. We have ordered stronger latches from the dealer.
The 10 ply tires, basically will do the same to the trailer, as the 1200 pound bars.

Airstream trailers MUST have a soft ride, OR ELSE.

Andy
Old 05-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We have 10 ply (Load Range E) tires on our trailer and we don't have problems like the original poster described. Michelins are made to ride smoothly and ride better than many other brands, even 6 and 8 plies. I don't know about Towmasters, but hhendrix is in Alaska where the roads can be brutal on trailers, and he says the Towmasters are much smoother too. Centramatics help too.

Getting a smooth ride is made up of many things including tire brands.

Gene
Old 05-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
When I got the bad news about the Marathons being out of round, I came here to the forums for advice. We were leaving for Alaska the next morning and I didn't have to many options at the tire dealer. As it is with several forums here, opinions were all over the board, but it boiled down to Marathons, TowMaster, Michelins and one or two more. I read one post where the AS owner had gone to Jackson Center and they installed TowMasters. I called the Airstream Service center and the tech there said the 10 ply TowMasters were one of the brands they sell and install. He thought they would be fine for our trailer. Both the tech and the tire dealer recommended running lower pressures that the maximum 80 psi.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Airstream has offered both Towmasters and Michelins as options. Originally when the got the 16" wheels from Tredit, they came with Goodyears because Tredit sells Goodyears. Later Airstream offered Michelins as an alternative too. I got the wheels from Airstream and picked up Michelins at Discount Tire in Dayton.

Gene
Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by twestover View Post
We have a 2009 Flying Cloud 27 FB, and the kitchen cabinets and drawers pop and slide open during travel. Has anyone else had that problem? Ideas would be welcome! We are leaving Friday for a 2 month trip to Alaska.
Terri
Although we think that we have a "soft ride" dialed in for our FC20, we have had drawers open while underway as well... Michelins on RV rear are aired down to 45 psi and 10k bars re-contoured. We now use a bungee cord across the drawers ... stretched between the oven handle and the coat hooks... that takes care of two drawers and the refirgerator - in case the fridge door is not pushed in to the locking "click".
Old 05-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I suspect the drawers opening are symptoms of the greater problem of too stiff truck suspension, sometimes miserable roadways, or a combination of both. (Or simply out of balance running gear.)

Bungee cords, tighter drawer catches are band aids but not a cure for other damage that may be occurring. Stress on the shell and its fasteners, window and fitting sealants may lead to tearing of the skin and failure of seals.

Heavy trucks are now routine tow vehicles. Would it it be a good idea to see beyond strapping down the opening drawers/doors, and find a soft ride for all the components of your Airstream?
Is Airsafe the only solution?

doug k

The question is not to get into the discussion of whether tow vehicle suspension transmits stress to the trailer. It is for those who see symptoms of damage, believe Inland Andy's soft ride advice, and are looking for a cure.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Agreed; we wanted a diesel and had to go to 3/4 T to get it ... along with it came the harsh ride for the AS. We are looking into a different spring pack for the TV.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Bellevue , Nebraska
Our 2 kitchen drawers are impossible to open. After much lifting, pulling, and tugging they will finally open. Do I need to replace something? Anyone else had this problem?