Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Keeping old school door and drawers in place

Hi folks

I am rebuilding my plastic 70’s interior with wood. I am basically trying to get an old school feel.

Could someone describe or better yet post pictures of how the draws stay in place while traveling? On the 60’s all wood draws, no drawer slides I suspect they notch it in closed position. Is this correct? But I would think that would make the face of drawer slop away from the cabinet.

Also some 60’s upper cabinets doors slide in a track how do they stay shut in travel,with a Pin?

Anyway sounds like an easy question but I have been going around in circles on this one.

Any additional suggestions would be helpful
Thanks in advance

Tony
Rogue River OR

I provided a pic of where I am at so far on the 2 person side dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3256.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	208750  
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I built all my own wooden drawers and sliding doors in upper cabinets in my '61 Safari. The methods I used have worked to prevent opening while under way without fail. And do not require any extra pieces to get lost. If you send me a PM I can reply with some photos. That would be easier than trying to describe my designs to you.
Your dinette is looking great, but your shop is much too clean and neat. And your plane appreciates being layed on its side.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Why not post the photos and description here? I for one would like to see how you did it, and I am sure so would others.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hello Samb:

The cabinet latches in my '67 look like this. They are available from Inland RV. Approximate cost is $14.00 each.

I don't like them because they rely on the springiness of the plastic to keep the cabinet doors closed. They often open while traveling and they break easily I always carry 4 of 5 of them with me for replacements.

If I were building new cabinets I would select a better method of holding the cabinet doors shut.

Maybe I will, These leave a big hole in the cabinet door. I either need to replace the doors or find a way to cover the hole that's not going to look ugly.

Thanks for starting me thinking about this.

Don
helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Tony,
This is how it was done on my 1962 Tradewind.
They had tracks on the bottom. The kitchen cabinets had little metal knobs that rotated into a locking mechanism.
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/c...ownload042.jpg

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/c...ownload043.jpg

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/c...ownload044.jpg

The other drawers had nothing to hold them in, not even the notches you mentioned.
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/c...ownload045.jpg

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/c...ownload046.jpg

This hook rotates into an eye-hook to hold the sliding doors in place. I know it looks rinky-dink, but it is original.
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/c...ownload047.jpg

Eye hook
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/c...ownload048.jpg

I had to recreate the bathroom cabinet. I tried to do as close to the same as what they did in 1962 as I could. I couldn't find anything like the locks they had on the kitchen cabinets. So I put a roll-latch on the back of the drawer and on the track to hold it in place. It's unobtrusive and works.
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/c...ownload049.jpg

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/c...ownload050.jpg

I thought the pictures would show. I guess my IT skills need work.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I would like to post the photos, but all my photos are in my Mac and this Mac does not want to recognize airforums. I am, however, able to reply to an email on the Mac and can include photos. If someone would like to "relay" some photos to this thread from an email I am all for it.
Sam
Old 04-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thalweg Thanks for the pics, again. I basically asked the same question quite awhile back and you helped me with pics back then. I got more out of it this time. I caught a few things since I am involved. I don't know if I said but I love the look of the uppers in the 62. My favorite interior wood is the mahogany of the 65 so that is what I am shooting for. I am trying to evoke the feel but do my own thing without loosing the roots. I also have a file fool of sailboat pictures that I look at a couple times a week and hope something good rubs off. Nice work on your trailer. It is a super year.

samb You to have helped me in the past which is neighborly of you. I always know I am finally getting away when I drive past your part of the world. Nice the land of tall firs.

Ya if you can get pics up everyone will like that. My Mac allows me to do it maybe earlier or later don't.

The wife is waiting for me I will post a pic of the galley so far later. I have it in another post already.

Tony
Old 04-02-2014, 12:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Opps I was thinking of Union Creek.

Tony
Old 04-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Here are a couple pic of galley base cabinet on its way to being installed. Had to walk away from renovation for several months. Back at it again.

Keeping the cabinets light is one of the challenges. The styling and function are others. I mostly do panel and frame construction but don't want to here. My material on hand lends itself to it so I may have to.

Oh against my usual inclination and others advice I went with shinny finish. It is exterior varnish and I hope I won't have long term off gassing.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions and pictures. Please more and others if you have them.

I really had to smile at the pic of the roller keeper at the back of the draw. So simple and does the trick, I suspect.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2133.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	208814   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2088.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	208815  

Old 04-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
What's that wood? It's beautiful. I assume it's a veneer. You do nice work.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I decided to go with ball bearing drawer slides with opening restrictors. They don't seem to open on the road like original drawers. On another project I purchased plastic drawer catches...very strong and durable. Mounted those on the back of the drawers.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks all. Any others. The info. and pictures I got pushed me past some issues I was having. I will post progress.

Thalweg The wood is Sapela a mahogany type wood. What I have is an exceptional straight ribbon that I culled out and kept for myself. The ribbon comes from how it is cut from the log. It is the same cut that gives you quarter sawn oak or is referred to as vertical grain when the same cut is from fir or pine.

I guess it is veneer in that I sliced it on the band saw and face glued it to a substrate of the same wood that was not so pretty. I selected the substrate boards for their lightness and not looks. Ounces makes pounds and all that. Just received 2 pairs of 500lbs rated drawer slides that I am going used in making the gaucho I could not believe the size and weight of them when I got them in person. They were better than 8 lbs a side. I am adding 34lbs in slides alone. That troubles me a bit. Only half gallons of milk now!

Sam thanks for the pictures With your permission I will post them.

Tony
Old 04-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Tony,
You certainly may post the photos.
Sam
Old 04-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Here are some pictures of some nice and innovative work by samb. It shock a few cobwebs loose for me.

He couldn't post them from his Mac but was nice of not to send them to me. Thanks

The picture shows how he keeps doors and draws in place while traveling in his 64 Safari.

The doors have a "button" that is pushed in and the 1/8 door flexes in and you can slide the doors.

The wedges on the drawer uses a wedge on the bottom. It hangs below and catches the front of the drawer case until lifted and moved forward. Old school and nice. He used maple that is waxed.

nice.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GEDC0604.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	208916   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0609.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	208917