Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
Keeping mice out

Where is the most common place for mice to enter a 28ft '03 Classic? What have you done to seal things up tight?
thanks,
Dave
Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've found they get in where the rear slide out storage compartment is, and there's not much you can do to keep them from coming in in that area.

However, I've been successful with some ultrasonic pest repellers by Black & Decker that I bought at Tractor Supply. I keep one plugged in on each end of the trailer, but to work, the trailer must be hooked up to shore power in storage.

The only other thing that I've found is a piece of pecan works best on a trap.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I used sealer for small openings here and there...you just have to hunt them down. I used STAINLESS steel pot scrubbers in the frame ends. Haven't figured out what to do for the rear drawer track holes. These allow the drawer tracks to recess into the belly area. This leaves access for mice to the belly...and thus the interior through multiple pluming (etc.) access holes in the floor.

So far, Knock on wood, the Illinois mice have been too stupid to find these 2 holes and I haven't had a single mouse in the 2 years I've had my AS. (jinx)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I have been using Fresh Cab rodent repellent. I place it down in the areas that open to the belly pan (under the sinks and under the closet in my AS). It smells like pine needles. I have had one mouse enter the trailer at a campground since I have been using Fresh Cab. The mouse disappeared within two days. It appears the Fresh Cab ran him off. Local farmers swear by the stuff. I was disappointed when I had the one mouse enter the trailer but he did not hang around long.

My Safari came from the factory equipped with a large number of potential entry holes for mice.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I would like to add where the propane lines go into the underbelly even as well as the areas by the sewer/tanks. Myself and others have had entry by the fresh water tank penetrations to the subfloor.

I keep mine baited now during storage.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I too, bait during storage. I use a "Tin Cat" brand trap. I place bags of poison in the drawer and other areas which are inaccessable to other critters. But, so far, no takers in 2 years.

A couple of other things that help me, I think. I am parked on a friends farmstead on a retired concrete pig lot. We have lots of hawks and I think the mice don't like to be in the open traveling to and from the AS. Also I am parked right next to a barn where an excellent barn cat and mouser lives.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
About poisons

I'm not in the least adverse to using poisons to kill the varmits, but I don't want them to die in the trailer where they will stink to the extreem.

One thing I read that I have not tried is to chop up uncooked pinto beans and sprinkle that liberally around the trailer. The mice love it, eat it, and then swell up and die, hopefully outside of the trailer.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Electric Pest Controller

We store our trailer in a warehouse which has enough small openings around the perimeter to allow mice inside the building so I suspect the trailer is vulnerable to mouse intrusion.

To repel rodents we use the plug in electric devices we purchased at Lowes. We use 3 plug ins, one in the rear by the dinette, one in the kitchen and one in the front bedroom. We also remove all food from the trailer and do not leave paper products (toilet paper, paper towels) that can be used to build nests. Given that we replaced the factory converter with a three stage converter we are comfortable with leaving the trailer plugged in while in storage.

We've owned the trailer a year and so far have not had issues. I hope to crawl under the trailer and seal visible openings soon.

My ears are sensitive enough that I can hear a faint high pitched sound in the background. Therefore we remove the plugs ins when we are using the trailer.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The sensitive-nosed little devils come in looking for food, and if they find it, make themselves a home. The greatest deterrent may be to starve them, leave no food, bar soap (also food), candles in the trailer when stored. Super-clean the food prep/storage areas before storing.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I'm not in the least adverse to using poisons to kill the varmits, but I don't want them to die in the trailer where they will stink to the extreem.

One thing I read that I have not tried is to chop up uncooked pinto beans and sprinkle that liberally around the trailer. The mice love it, eat it, and then swell up and die, hopefully outside of the trailer.
Steve, Most of the time...and I say most of the time, the mice who are poisoned seek water (an effect of the hemmorage producing poison) and if there are no water sources in the trailer, they will leave and drink and die outside.

I did have one exception to this rule in my SOB, (I used to get mice in it every year almost).

The one that did remain and died, seem to mummify and didn't smell.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Here is a link to a thread and photos showing the mouse entry points in many Airstreams and Argosy's. These are huge, gross holes left by the factory in the floor.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...les-93401.html
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:52 AM   #12

1982 31' Excella
Gig Harbor , Washington
How are the newer Airstreams for being mouse proof? My old 1982 31 Excella has a few bumps and bruises on the underside and I am having problems with mice inside when stored. Other than that the old trailer still works good.
not so young is offline   Reply With Quote