Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ellijay , Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to jdanielii
Just bought 25' Safari

It is a 1999 and in very good condition. I think that there are only 3 things that need some work.
1. The vinal wall covering is starting to get loose especially on the ceiling. Any advise that you have about how best to reglue it would be appreciated.
2. The carpet is a little worn and stained. I don't much care for carpet anyway so was thinking about putting in some kind of hardwood. Again, any advise?
3. The refrig isn't working, will post more info on that when I get it home and can check it out.
I hope this is the right place to put this post, I am a newbie and trying to figure this all out. Any help that you are willing to share I will appreciate.
jdanielii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Greetings! It looks as if we are in the same state and also have the same model of AS. Congrats on your new purchase. I just got mine in February from Bates in Tampa. I haven't been camping yet, trying to get it "up to snuff" maintenance-wise and replacing various items.

I am far from an expert but on this forum is a person who had carpeting coming loose and ended up removing it I believe in all but the bedroom. There are pictures as it looks like the silver interior models after the work BUT they shared that it was a lot of work. I believe they also removed the vinyl on the ceiling too on all but the ends. You may not want to remove it but it appears to be an option.

I do not know if your refrigerator is like mine but there was a recall on mine which allowed me to have a repair guy test it in the process. Check their website on the recall.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Give the refrigerator a chance. It takes hours for them to cool down. Try it both on electric as well as propane if it still does not cool. If you have an ammonia smell, you have serious problems...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Congrats on the new baby, and welcome to active Airstteaming.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Of course it goes without saying.... We need pictures!
Congratulations on your new Airstream and welcome to the group.
Bruce
Old 04-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Built to YOUR specifications!

Great project and a great AS length to work with!

If you find that your refrigerator needs to have the ammonia tubing replaced, you might consider what we did. The AS was under warranty and we had a weld leaking the ammonia and the entire "cooling system" was sent to us for replacement.

When labor was added into the mix, it was decided that I replace the refrigerator and keep the extra system for when it is out of warranty. I kept the good parts from the old refrigerator, the entire replacement system in the factory carton and have a new refrigerator for not more money than the cost of labor for the repair, removal and replacement of the refrigerator.

The other items, like faucets can be "upgraded" to quality systems with water filters that can turn your water into better than bottled water for drinking! I would be resistant to using some factory replacement parts, as most are the bare minimum for use.

Build your own Airstream! If you are handy, you already have an idea what to do. If you are not, find someone who is. It will take months to restore this trailer by hiring the work out to craftsmen on their "off" days. You have the shell, the axles and the frame. Now... the fun begins!

Good luck and show this creation off when it is finished!
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Congratulations!!!! Photos please!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
If you have an ammonia smell, you have serious problems...
I had an ammonia smell in the cabinet above the fridge on my AS but then I found the issue with the recall and got it serviced. The workman tested it and it works on gas. I have not run it on electric yet. It took about an hour to "feel" the cool and about 5 hours to be really cool on gas. I hope it is working.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ellijay , Georgia
Thanks

Thanks for all of the input. I don't have it home yet so haven't been able to go into the details. I will post pictures when I get it here.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
We have a 99, 25' Safari and love it. We have made over 225 trips since we bought it new. All the big things are still working; little things need replacing now and then. We replaced carpet with Duraceramic and so glad the carpet is gone.
Enjoy it all and welcome to Forums. If you can't find the answer here there must not be an answer.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I see that the possibility of a failed cooling unit has been mentioned, but not the more common issue with the newer ones, a failed control board. Mine's old-school manual controls, no auto-relighting, etc) so I don't have first-hand experience, but I've read that lots of people have had to replace the 12v control boards in refrigerators, and the preferred part is the appropriate Dinosaur board rather than an OEM replacement from
Dometic.

That said, hopefully it's just an issue of waiting long enough for it to start cooling. Welcome to the Forums and the joys and frustrations of portable-home ownership.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanielii View Post
It is a 1999 and in very good condition. I think that there are only 3 things that need some work.
3. The refrig isn't working, will post more info on that when I get it home and can check it out.
A friend of mine recently had the refrigerator leak ammonia and fail (his is SOB 5th wheel) while we were camping in Casa Grande AZ. He located a repair facility in Tucson AZ who actually replaced his cooling unit while he waited. Their website is Trailer & RV Refrigeration - Sales and Service Gas RV Refrigerators

Good luck.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ellijay , Georgia
What about the vinal wall covering?

Thanks for all the comments. Does anyone have recommendations re the wall covering coming loose.
I am going over to Brandon to pick it up and bring it back to Altamonte Springs tomorrow. Will take pictures and do an update in the next few days.
Next I have to get a tow vehicle. I would be interested in opinions on that from those with experience. The previous owner used a 1/2 ton Tundra and said it did a great job. I hope to go out west and do the rockies, will 1/2 ton be good enough. What size engine, gas or diesel etc.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
if it is a small area of the ceiling that is coming loose, GOOP makes several types of adhesives ie: shoes, automotive ceramic etc. I have used the automotive with great success. For larger areas, check with a auto repair shop for the products they use. For the floor, try Cork tiles and glue them down. I had a 98 and these were some of the idea's/ things I did.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
The vinyl covering on the ceiling is coming loose because the foam padding behind it is deteriorating. Glue will not correct the problem. If the covering is removed you will see rough-cut aluminum and many pop rivets and screws. The covering will have to be replaced, or as I have seen in other Airstreams, rows of screws with plastic cover caps were installed in diagonal rows about 9" apart to hold the covering in place. Good luck.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I have a Ford F-150 supercrew with tow package that is a great TV. The 2009 and newer models have an integrated towing electronics that becomes fully functional with the tow package and/or the heavy payload tow package. The Ecoboost would be my first choice of TV. The integrated system controls the brakes on BOTH the truck AND TRAILER to counteract sway. As of 2009, they were the only company to have all vehicle sway control. I do not know about since 2009 regarding other companies but if you buy a Ford make sure it already has the tow package which includes heavier hitch, 7 pin receiver, transmission cooler, and heavier payload. The ford brake controller may or may not be added as it was an option even with the packages. The supercrew has double seals on the doors and is more like a car in sound levels. I shopped for a truck (used) for some time - Toyota, Dodge and Ford. I liked the Ford for its mpg, payload and overall benefits. I have a 4.6 L 3V H.O. which was their mpg fighter prior to the ecoboost and I get about 1 mpg less than the EB on the highway not towing and about 2 mpg less in town. EB is king if you can find one.