Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #1

2005 25' Safari
Jacksonville , Florida
Problem filling fresh water

I own a 25 foot 2005 Safari. the fresh water fill valve will not accept water for more then 30 seconds and starts coming back out. I put a smaller hose in the valve and line and it is stop about 15 inches from the outside of the trailer. Any thoughts?
JRACCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Welcome. Not a clue, however a suggestion. Put the subject of your post in the subject line.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Two possibilities, maybe three:

1) kink in the inlet hose which would also explain the fact that you cannot get more than 15" of small hose down it.

2) blocked air vent in the top of the tank.

3) tank might be full, especially if you are trusting the Micropulse Tank level system 😄

Have you tried filling it super slowly? Mine seems to be able to take water as fast as I put it in from a hose...but I have never had a fill issue. Draining it is another story. If the full hose is kinked tightly, it will be necessary to goon access to it and get it properly routed.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #4

2005 25' Safari
Jacksonville , Florida
Thank you rmkrum. I will check this tomorrow.
JRACCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I still have this problem myself - I still have yet to correct it

I fix it by leaving it run very slow and come back in about 10 years and it will be at maybe 3/4 full

I figure it is a link in the line a bit or that little vent area is clogged - I hope to fiddle with mine this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Chances are the tank is full and you're trying to fill it more. The inlet tubing bends at about the 15" point, inserted tubing would have a hard time getting around the bend, kinked or not. To determine if the tank is full, run the pump and turn on a faucet and see how long/how much water you get out. If it runs a while the tank is probably full. Running the pump with no water won't hurt it.
To see if it's a kink, try reducing the flow to a small amount and see if you still get water coming back out. Unless it's a really tight kink you should get some slow water fill past the kink.
The fill tube makes a tight essentially 90 degree bend which could be kinked. If you determine that that is the problem and go about fixing it, I would recommend cutting the tube at the kink and inserting a 90 degree barbed elbow fitting with hose clamps. No more kink. There is essentially no pressure on the system at that point so tightened hose clamps on a barbed fitting should have no leaks. Just need to determine the hose size, it's varied over the years from 1-1/4" to 1-3/8" to 1-1/2". You can find pvc or poly elbows online pretty easy.
Adding an elbow is much easier than replacing the hose, you'd pretty much need to drop the fresh water tank for that.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote