Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
JC Service Terraport questions

We have been shoehorned into JC for water leaking (3rd time repair) into a not even 3 month old trailer (recall and other repairs too), so we are grateful for that. I have a few questions about the Terraport and for those that have had JC service.

Some questions:
  • Has anyone ever not gotten a space?
  • What do you do with your TV when they take it in for repair?
  • Do they put you back in the same space?
  • Is it full hookups? Sewer, water, 50 amp?
  • Is there a place within walking distance for breakfast and lunch?
  • Does the service center lounge/waiting room provide WiFi so I can do work remotely for my job?
  • For larger repairs and more than day jobs, do they partially reassemble it between days if it is a multi-day repair?
  • Anyone from here going to be there July 15, 16?

Using the search has multiple answers, we are leaving to be there on Monday July 15 so we are looking for immediate feedback.

Thanks,
Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
We have been shoehorned into JC for water leaking (3rd time repair) into a not even 3 month old trailer (recall and other repairs too), so we are grateful for that. I have a few questions about the Terraport and for those that have had JC service.

Some questions:
  • Has anyone ever not gotten a space?
    We have been in the TerraPort 4 times in the last year. We have never had a problem getting a spot to stay. It is first come-first serve for sites.
  • What do you do with your TV when they take it in for repair?
    The service techs will come and get your AS at 7AM. Be ready! You can leave your TV in the site, or drive off and see the sights.
  • Do they put you back in the same space?
    Yes, they return your AS to the same space at 4PM.
  • Is it full hookups? Sewer, water, 50 amp?
    Yes, it is full hookup. Be prepared to have an extension for your sewer hose. You share a power tree with your neighbor, so you may not get 50 amp - bring a pig tail if you can only have 30 amp service.
  • Is there a place within walking distance for breakfast and lunch?
    There are two places within walking distance. The Heidout and Split Decision Cafe.
  • Does the service center lounge/waiting room provide WiFi so I can do work remotely for my job?
    Yes, they have Wi-Fi in the service center. It is a public network.
  • For larger repairs and more than day jobs, do they partially reassemble it between days if it is a multi-day repair?
    The service techs will get your AS at 7AM everyday that you’re in service for repairs. They return your AS at 4Pm everyday you are in service.
  • Anyone from here going to be there July 15, 16?
    Oh my...I hope we are not there again, but you should meet some great Airstreamers while you are there.

Using the search has multiple answers, we are leaving to be there on Monday July 15 so we are looking for immediate feedback.

Thanks,
Chris

I hope this posts correctly...I answered your questions above.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I have the interstate so my space was vacant but available upon return. You could leave a chair to claim it I guess. TV-- park in spot or go sight seeing. It doesn't appear they overbook, so I have not seen it totally full and have seen someone come in around midnight. Full hook up, but dump can be a distance... my macerator hose would not reach dump on my sight. One lady washed her TV on her site while they worked on her trailer. They pick up your trailer around 7am with a tractor. They bring it back around 4.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
While at JC for service

I second everything SewStream said.

While at JC make sure you take the Factory Tour offered at 2:00 P.M. everyday. It is free. Also try to visit the Air Force Museum at Wright Pat Airbase in Dayton, Ohio. 1 hour drive. It is free parking and admission. Also, just on the west side of I-75 less than 10 minutes from JC is the best fried chicken you will ever eat. Ask at the desk for the name of the place.

Both times we were there for warranty work on our 2017 23D we arrived a day early just to be sure we would meet the 7:00 A.M. be ready deadline. Go to the office door at 6:30 A.M. so you can be among the first to sign in and get the ball rolling for your meet and greet with your assigned technician.
I am sure that JC will get it fixed. We received great service on our mostly minor fixes.

Our new 2019 FC25 RBT has been flawless so far. Two outings and no issues. Hopefully after this visit at JC you will have the same experience.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Thanks for the answers, sounds like we should be in good shape then.

One other question I had was, do they let you in the shop to "watch"......not like all day, but if you wanted to see how "it's going"......kind of thing?
Old 07-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
I second everything SewStream said.

While at JC make sure you take the Factory Tour offered at 2:00 P.M. everyday. It is free.
We took the tour 3 times when we were there to watch it be built......so we will probably take the tour again.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Thanks for the answers, sounds like we should be in good shape then.

One other question I had was, do they let you in the shop to "watch"......not like all day, but if you wanted to see how "it's going"......kind of thing?

Yes, the service techs are great when it comes to answering questions, and letting you see your AS when it is in the service bay. They will brief and debrief each day to report progress on your work. All the staff in the service center are outstanding.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I Have been at JC 3 times,first 1968, second 1978, then 2018, every thing posted was correct, no negatives. In morn pick up if more days will bring back to site for nite. Lots to do and see near JC. First time I have ever been in repair shop and made welcome to observe and ask Q. This was all 3 visits. I think you will be happy with JC, new or old AS all same treatment to you.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI "Jackson Center" search results for the many mentions here in a variety of threads/posts:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jack...com&gws_rd=ssl

Have a good trip.

Peter

FYI
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England

SewStream gave good info but in my experience, you can sometimes be taken to a different spot at the end of the day. If someone comes in for service and grabs the slot you were in, that will end up putting you somewhere else. I suppose you could leave some stuff in “your” spot but I lost a nice aluminum jack stand that way [emoji20]

As for WiFi - do they have it? Yes. Is it good? No. I’ve been able to do limited work from the waiting room. It goes in and out. Went out during a Skype meeting. Not a handy time to be unavailable. My iPhone is on ATT and the service at the waiting room and terraport left a lot to be desired.

Other than that - I love it! Been 3 times and planning a trip next year too. And yes - you can go in and check progress. You’ll be excited to be careful not to cross the PITA line - that’s easy to do! They’re working hard and it’s easy to get hurt in a situation like that so quick in and outs is all I’d recommend.

Have fun!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Make sure you hang out in the waiting room on the day of your service work so you can talk to the technician before you leave for the day sightseeing.

There's a couple restaurants at Indian Lake, and a nice one in New Bremen on Main Street. Another one called Bollys a couple blocks off Main Street in New Bremen, not fancy but made me a decent breakfast.

Maria Stein Shrine of the Holy Relics was a nice visit too.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
There's a diner in Sydney called The Spot, typical diner food. And Tawawa park is there in Sydney if you're totally bored with nothing to do.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:52 PM   #13
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Does anyone know if Honda gives tours of their assembly plant in Marysville which is relatively close to JC?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI "Jackson Center" search results for the many mentions here in a variety of threads/posts:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jack...com&gws_rd=ssl

Have a good trip.

Peter

FYI
I saw all of that and know how to search, since I had direct questions, it makes more sense to just ask than mine and hope I find 8 answers throughout the site.

Hope it goes smoothly, this will be the longest we've towed it.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #15
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Hillsboro , TX
Has anyone ever not gotten a space? We have always gotten a space.

What do you do with your TV when they take it in for repair? It can stay at the Terraport or you can go out for the day.

Do they put you back in the same space? Yes.

Is it full hookups? Sewer, water, 50 amp? Yes.

Is there a place within walking distance for breakfast and lunch? Yes, the Heidout is next door.

Does the service center lounge/waiting room provide WiFi so I can do work remotely for my job? Yes, but if you have your own hotspot you might get better results. Verizon is great. AT&T also works but has a weaker signal.

For larger repairs and more than day jobs, do they partially reassemble it between days if it is a multi-day repair? If you can sleep in it they bring it back to the Terraport. For more major repairs, you will want to spend the night in a motel in Wapokenta or Sidney.

Anyone from here going to be there July 15, 16? Not until October.
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
We went to Jackson Center for minor warranty repairs after attending the International Rally in West Virginia, in 2016 as I recall. I was surprised upon getting there. Huge Airstream plant located among the cornfields of Jackson Center, which seemed to have a population hardly exceeding 3 (actually approx. 1,500). A sub sandwich shop, a gas station, a bar, and that was about it. A blinking red light had just been installed on the main cross street. There are places to go and to see, but all of them seem at least 20 miles away. Among other places, we enjoyed the bicycle museum in New Bremen, as well as the town itself, approx. 20 miles west of JC. Sydney, approx. 20 miles south, is the county seat and local population center, population approx. 20K. I asked our AS tour leader "Where do all the AS employees go for lunch?", to which he replied, "They all bring their lunch from home."
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Be aware that they do everything they can to get you repaired within the day you reserved for but if another job bogs down in front of you, you will have to wait for that job to finish before they take you. On my first and only trip there, I came to have my air conditioner checked out due to poor performance. At the time they had two technicians whose job was to deal with air conditioner issues. There was a motor home ahead of me who had issues with poor drainage and water dripping from the filter area. It ended up it took both tech's to address the issues with this motorhome and they did not address my issues until day 2 of my stay there and even then they didn't start till after noon. So bottom line I overnighted there 3 nights and departed the day after they returned the trailer to me in the late afternoon.

So during my stay they checked the AC performance and realigned the door on my Safari since they felt there was some air intrusion causing some performance issues. Thankfully I was returning from vacation in Mackinaw City Michigan and had lots of time left to accommodate the extra time it took for JC to address my problems. Is for us it was up at the crack of dawn to get into the waiting room. That first day was a bust and at 3 pm they told us that unfortunately they wouldn't be able to deal with my issues until the following day.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Does anyone know if Honda gives tours of their assembly plant in Marysville which is relatively close to JC?
No for the Honda tours
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
From my experience it is normal for factory workers to eat at the plant. Most cannot afford to eat out every day and besides where would there be accomadations for several hundred workers all at roughly the same time as in an auto factory.?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
West Liberty , Kentucky
There is a very good restaurant in New Brenan as well as a bicycle museum
Air4563 is offline   Reply With Quote