Old 11-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Jackson Center - Airstream Service

In June of this year my Airstream 2008 Classic 34 was damaged by a tornado topping trees that fell onto our trailer. There was virtually little interior damage but extensive exterior damage. We needed 12 panels replaced including the roof. We also took this repair opportunity to have some major upgrades done (converting from 30 amp to 50 amp with a second air conditioner, etc.). I was expecting to find some minor problems at the time of picking the trailer this past Monday. Not only did I not find any problems, the quality of the work exceeded my expectations!

Too many times people only use these forums to complain about the quality of a product or service. I think that it is also important to acknowledge when excellent service has been provided.

I want to thank Chris Burch, Kevin, Brad and the entire service team for doing a great job!

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Nice to hear. I haven't had anything that extensive done at JC but have always been happy with the work they did.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I'm thinking of in the not to distant future having them remove my front lounge & replace it with a recliner sofa & a couple drop leaf side tables & possible a small computer station under the TV. Has anyone had this kind of work done at JC?
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
I'm thinking of in the not to distant future having them remove my front lounge & replace it with a recliner sofa & a couple drop leaf side tables & possible a small computer station under the TV. Has anyone had this kind of work done at JC?
If you're able - this could be a great do-it-yourself project - possibly with help from a couple of Airstream buddies at a rally. Whether you do it yourself or not depends on how much wiring, etc. is hidden behind the sofa. There is a thread where the owner found the company that makes Classic furniture - and got a table custom made by them, then bought two recliners. Jackson Center quoted $7000 for the work. The recliners that were an option in the 30' layout (no longer offered) are almost $800 each and I don't know what the shipping would be, Any custom furniture starts at about $1000... So if your mod wouldn't include eliminating or changing an exterior access door (end panel replacement!) you might be tempted to make it a do it yourself... or have it installed by a good craftsman locally, if you've got a bad back or can turn a drill into a lethal weapon! Jackson Center WILL do a good job, and you can get that 15% winter discount if the shop isn't busy but it's Cha-Ching! Worth it? It's your money vs. your time or lack thereof and your skills or lack thereof.

OK, the first one shows you where to order the furniture - custom table that looks original.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ble-86598.html

Some duplication - but some other ideas and options here.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...on-128727.html
Old 11-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Foiled, my thoughts on JC is to maintain the originally of my new AS. Blond wood & laminate that match, furniture that says Airstream not makeover. If I go forward with this I have many options & will explore them all especially in Elkhart, In, JC & here in Fl. I would be looking for value for $$ spent & originally in appearance along with quality workmanship & products used.
TAC FL-47
Old 11-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post

Several folks have (including me). Loved the experience, loved the quality, loved the team who did the work, loved camping at the terraport, loved the tour, loved the final product and felt the price was actually very reasonable.

Everyone's mileage varies though. I'm not mechanically inclined but I could have done 90% of this myself (having watched some of what they did). Still - they're pros and it was a fun adventure.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Airstream Service Center is the best service center, bar none.
Too bad production isn't as focused on turning out quality work.
The Service Center has to fix everything and be a disgruntled customer liaison.
I am convinced that I will only ever use the Service Center for repair or upgrade if I can't do it myself.
During the summer I did the 16' wheels, LT tires, Centramatic balancers, and Dill TPMS upgrade myself because I needed tires immediately- couldn't wait for a trip to Jackson Center-
Maybe I can wait 2 or 3 years from now to get repairs at Jackson Center. My last trip was in September 2014. I was 110% satisfied with the work done over 2 1/2 days at the Service Center- all warranty- all done to beyond expectations-
Definition of Quality: Exceeding customer expectations- the Service Center does Quality all day every day-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Service AND Terraport

The service group at JC is top notch! Took my PanAm to them, enroute to CanAm RV, to change out the AC and have full systems check. While there, saw many major and "minor" repairs underway. MANY very talented craftsmen - and ladies! Same for CanAm (at CA, they'll even take time to help via telephone!). Towing challenge? Call Andy first!! His hitch solution had me towing the PA like it was my smaller 22' Safari Sport.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
People are human, and being human means we all make mistakes.

Dealers that constantly work to minimize mistakes, are most always then a "winner".

What and how a dealer jumps on a mistake to correct it, also makes them a winner or a loser.

Fortunately, most Airstream dealers today, strive very hard to make a good sale, and then follow it up with very good or better service. Unfortunately, todays work force, even some Airstream technicians, feel that if it's good enough for them, then it should be good enough for the customer. OUCH No never, not so. To feel that what they did, is the best that could be done, is the WAY TO WORK.

That does, many times, take a little extra effort, but the successor with that attitude, is almost always a winner, for the company they work for as well as the customer.

Most customers, just want to be happy with their purchase. Giving them top notch service work on that product, builds a very strong reputation with most all customers. Some can never be pleased, no matter what, but most can be pleased, simply by showing them a little extra effort and/or care.

Most Airstream owners touch on the happiness they received by the service they received from the selling dealer, which in turn, much more solidifies the sale.

Yes, offering thanks or compliments about a dealer, sort of, is in the back ground, but when a dealer makes a mistake, WOW, the flack can get very heavy, and real quick too.

Saying "thank you", or "you did a great job", is not something that too many people use these days. Wives, fiances, girl friends all love that, but so does a good selling dealer or a good service department.

It's near Christmas time. Send the dealer or service department that your happy with, a box of good candy, along with a nice card.

In the card you could say, in Hawaiian, "Mele Kaliki Maka" and "Ma La Mo Po No" What does those mean ?? The first one is "Merry Christmas", and the second one means "Until we meet again".

Merry Christmas to all

Andy
Old 11-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
They did a great job on our recliner conversion, including building a custom cabinet to match the factory interior. They have the bits and pieces to make it look like a stock factory design.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
They did a great job on our recliner conversion, including building a custom cabinet to match the factory interior. They have the bits and pieces to make it look like a stock factory design.
That's exactly what I'm looking for, a job that looks original so at resale time any perspective buyer will see AIRSTREAM not remodel.
TAC FL-47
Old 11-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
I did the AS Factory tour a couple of months ago. WELL worth the 200 mile detour. It would hard to beat the AS factory for any AS repairs.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've only been to Jackson Center once, and that was to deal with a perceived problem with my air conditioner on my then new 2001 Safari. It was somewhat convenient since I had been vacationing up in Mackinaw City Mi., and the drive south to Jackson Center wasn't too much out of the way.

While they didn't find a problem with the air conditioner, they did notice that my door was not quite aligned which could have caused some air intrusion. They realigned the door, and while I was there, I had them replace the front jack stands with models that were used at that time on the Classic models.

I found them very pleasant, they laid down a protective barrier on the floor to keep the floor and carpet clean.

Just to note while I did have an appointment for the work, they were unable to start on the promised date due to their two air conditioner guys working on a difficult problem with air conditioners on a motorhome. Note that they will spend the time necessary to fix a problem right, and that may mean that you might have to spend some additional time there if their folks who are experts in certain areas get tied up on a previous service job. Luckily for me I was on the way home and had time to spend the extra time there.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Jack, they will take the time to get it done right. We were there on a Thursday/Friday a couple of years ago and wanted a couple more items done. They authorized a few hours overtime on Saturday to finish our requests, partly because Monday was booked solid.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote