Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

, North Carolina
It's hot! Shade cloth for over TOP of my AS?

Greetings from hot-as-hell North Carolina. My full timing self is parked till October in a spot which is loosing more and more of it's shade as the sun's angle sets up for summer. While the zip dee awnings help, I'm curious if anyone has constructed an aesthetically pleasing (read, no blue tarps) shade cloth to run a few feet above the roof.

Does not need to be rainproof, in fact seems better if it's not so i don't need to worry about water pooling. And maybe a loose weave would make it less like a sail and easier keep attached to cedar poles on four corners? Thanks for any lessons learned or links for material or design!

By the way, it's mostly from 7:30 am-noon when parts of the roof are receiving rays (the street side is always in shade as it's nestled up against a line of trees who's branches aren't quite close enough to attach a cloth or provide all day shade). Also, i'm plugged into a 20 amp circuit so not enough juice to run my AC and not able to invest in a generator just yet. Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5689.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	240649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5690.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	240650  

simple sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I've constructed shade for my front windsheild three places, first time was for my coachhouse van, using Ace hardware shade cloth, third for airstream win shade cloth from online ebay seller, second was for the trawler both Ace and HD shade material. It works but how you can control it in your situation would be much harder than each of my projects. Ace had the best quality, ebay had the best price. With snaps and line in hem it could be mounted and survived winds, rain and sun. Trying to to it in the air without support would be impossible with ebay stuff it stretches while the non-stretching had enough give to mount on surfaces only. Also putting insulation betwen screen and window worked until I noticed it etched the glass on sitting wet for long periods. your air gap would be better, but winds go up and you would have a large sail.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Harbor freight has some 12X10 and I think even bigger shade tarps (a weave that blocks 70% of the sun) that I use here at the house on my porches to block the sun and am very happy with the results. It has metal grommets on the corners and down each side to make hanging it better. The cost was very reasonable. It comes in black.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
No blue tarps, OK. How about a lovely silver tarp?

Old 06-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
How about the material used by greenhouses to provide partial shade. Available in varying degrees of density.
A place like Gemplers will carry such an item.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I'm gonna give away my million dollar idea, but I've always wondered about making a retractable shade, something like a Zip-Dee awning, for the top of the trailer. I could envision something pivoting along the centerline of the front, middle, and end of the trailer, that as it deploys it unrolls some kind of shade/mesh fabric, making kind of a dome tent over the length of the trailer. One problem would be the TV antenna or satellite dish that most people call a necessity these days. But, that's the basic idea.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
In Furnace Creek, Death Valley, some of the staff have extensive shade cloth. Someone must sell it.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:36 AM   #8
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
mesh tarps for shade
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
In the south, sun is part of the equation but that humidity is permeating heat. Another consideration along with the mesh tarp idea is an outdoor misting strip along the awning, etc if you have water. Set it on a timer for the warm up time. It is an old fashioned way but it works to keep the air around an area cooler if shaded. I know it sounds crazy but there are even some restaurants in FL still with the misting systems in them. Heck you get a bit damp under your awning but...of course this assumes you are stationary and have water access.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Your already set

Use your awning...it is already there from the looks in the photo. Put it out and then get an inexpensive roll up bamboo type shade attached to the outer edge. Keep the entire side shaded. Get some , or grow some, plants. Fast growing, cheap, morning glory in a trellis and pot them along the outer area too.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
foster , Kentucky
Talking Maybe this site will help and not be too offensive

Shade RV - Save With Shade
kfthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The roofs of newer Airstreams are painted white. That helps a little.
I bought a 2' x 25' roll of insulation at Lowe's that appears to basically be 2 layers of bubble wrap with aluminum foil on both sides. I cut a piece for every widow in the trailer, including panoramic windows, stack windows, vista view windows, the entry door window, and the skylights. It seems to help. I was more concerned with blocking out UV rays so the interior curtains and upholstery would not fade or deteriorate.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Henderson , North Carolina
OK -- this is redneck air conditioning......
Use a tripod sprinkler mounted on the top of your AS. Turn it on periodically throughout the day and you will immediately drop the temperature of your AS by 20 degrees. Tripod Sprinkler - White Flower Farm
DearCatJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Reflectix. I find the five foot tall size better for the various projects. And get their tape as well. Have used it extensively and consider it a must as with "duct tape" for its GP usefulness" (NASHUA 357 is what works in that instance, not Gorilla or 3M)
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I will assume the OP is looking for something like the fly on modern day camping tents. The fly provides an air space between the sky and tent. Providing shade as well as cutting down the condensation and heat in the tent.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Just thinking... You would want your solution to not trap the hot air being expelled by your AC unit on the roof.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
The material tsunami mentions is being used on sun facing windows on park model homes in Texas. It is basically a tight black weave that lets very little light through but still has enough open space to ventilate. It could work very nicely if the OP could rig a ridge pole along the top of the trailer. Tie off the eaves to trees and the wall mount for the awning.
Anything attached to the awning would be problematic if you need to retract the awning for high winds or storms
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Why not just move? It might be easier, just keep it simple.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
We have an Airstream Basecamp. In the heat of summer, when we are parked in the sun, we strategically place three triangular shade sails (Amazon) to block the direct sunlight on the roof and sides....and it makes a huge difference. Shade sails are rain and wind permeable, so you don't have to worry about the wind getting under them/lifting them up, plus you still get breezes underneath. We attach them to the top of the Basecamp with bungees and to the ground with bungees and lightweight metal stakes. The shade sails even look "cool"....not at all like tarps.
basecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Ditto on the shade sails. They're cheaper, lighter, and they should pack better.

Rob
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote