Old 04-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
It's cracking, make it stop!

This is in the rear bedroom, above the compartments. The previous owner attempted to make a fix with a screw and then a pop rivet. It looks to have grown just about an inch since Fall and I want to 1. stop the growth of the crack and 2. repair it so it's either no longer noticeable or at least solid.

Please help with "fix my crack" suggestions! Thanks!! Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crack in limited.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	182712  

Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Drill a small hole at the end of the crack to help ensure that it doesn't go any further.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Sooner rather than later you'll have to diagnose the issue rather than treating the symptom.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
It looks fine underneath, assuming PO banged into it and it cracked. He tried a temp fix but it just got worse.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ditto on drilling a hole at the current end of the crack. You might be able to fill the crack with two part epoxy. Also you could try using a small piece of Fiberglass tape with the epoxy to give it something to stick too and add strength to the fix. I have used this trick many times on interior fiberglass/plastic boat liners. Blend well and hope for the best. Good Luck

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Excellent, I will drill the hole today and set out on a shopping trip to the home improvement store to find epoxy... I'm guessing this problem hasn't shown up very often, no search results...

Thanks..
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Interior end caps cracking

Hello all. On my 88 25' Excella the front interior end cap started cracking so over the non camping season a few years back I removed enough of the interior walls around the front windows, then removed the radio, drilled out the rivets where the end cap meets the interior roof and then removed the endcap. Not a hard job just lots of rivets to drill out and most of the interior pieces are small as they are around the front windows.
After removal I clamped the split as it was about 6' long so the edges were level with each other and applied some epoxie over the crack on the inside to keep it from slipping.
I then applied a layer of fiberglass and resin over the crack on the inside. That was almost 20 years ago and it still looks good.
Not a bad job just time comsuming.
Happy camping nm1oqrz
Old 04-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I stop drilled mine then filled the gap with my hot melt glue gun and wiped it flat with a putty knife before it hardened. Worked great.

It was a shorter crack but...

Mike
Old 04-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have had success using ABS cement and fiberglass roving from the backside to fix cracks like that. Drill a hole at the end of the crack as suggested. Put a thin film of ABS glue over the back, and push the roving into it completely. Excess glue will push out the holes and can be sanded and painted once dry. Not sure if you have that kind of access to the crack....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You might consider some sort of decorative piece that would span the entire width of the cabinet and also strengthen it. There is some sort of stress in that area and it will probably continue to crack without extra support. The decorative piece would also be structural and should be attached at several points alone the cabinet. It might also be possible to do this from the inside but you loose the benefit of covering up the uglies.

Perry
Old 04-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
The fix: The PO put a screw to hold the material down, the screw goes through nothing... Fixed that by putting in a new screw about 6 inches away from crack. That will hold the cap material in the groove. Once I secured the cap material, I ran a bead of hot glue down the crack, smoothed it out and the crack is sealed. I appears that the hot glue also has some flexibility in it so I hope it holds when we hit the road and the entire unit flexes. It's really a non issue but it just looks icky and I want it to look nice... If it does not I will try one of those previous suggestions.. Thanks again for your feedback!