Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Is my debate over?

Ok, the snow is gone and it's getting warm so it time to get back to restoring.

My winter debate has been about the black and the soon to be gray tank.

The Gray tank is my old fresh water tank, it will fit nicely between the axels and is only 6" tall, so it won't stick down to far. The drain pipe will come out behind the wheels on the road side.

So here in lies my debate. I need a new black tank as i fixed a crack in it last summer caused by the rear floor rotting out and dropping. (Thats all coming out)It was not meant to be a permeant fix and needs to be replaced.

So I was thinking of getting a new tank with the drain going forward and not out the back and tying it into the grey water drain so there would be just one drain valve. Problem was I don't think I have enough drop to get the solids out without flushing it, and I would have to drop it below the belly pan before I want to.

Now it is something that could be done with a lot of work.

So I think I will just order an original tank and run the grey tank and black tank into a "Y" so they can both be drained without hooking up two totally different hoses to a dump station.

Can anyone think of why I should hassle with trying to run the black tank forward??????? It just seems more work than it is worth. But it seemed like a good Idea when I was first thinking about it.

Thanks

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Why not run the drain from the grey tank to the back? You'd only have to "modify" the one tank, and flushing wouldn't be so critical on the grey tank.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I just ordered 2ea 11 gal water tanks to be used as gray tanks. I will gang them together as they will set in two different frame wells and then tee into the black tank drain. The tanks are only 4" tall so everything will fit under the belly pan. I plan on putting in 3 dump valves, one at the exits of the gray and black tanks and one common redundent valve at the exit point of the trailer.

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
What size is your grey water drain? Typically that's a 1 1/2 inch pipe, vs. 3 inch pipe (like for the black water tank), so you would have a smaller pipe to run to the back to hook into the discharge pipe. You could put both drain valves back there as well. Just keep the angle slopping down as you run the drain pipe to the back of the trailer.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I just ordered 2ea 11 gal water tanks to be used as gray tanks.
Where did you order the tanks from?

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
RV Surplus

These do not have a built in slope so I will have to be angled to the streetside to completly dump them, but I can live with that. I just did not want any dump valves or plumbing lower then the belly pan. Actually member Vhord found these first but decided on a different tank instead.

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
The black tank drains out the back it is way to high and to far back to put the grey tank into it drain. Even if i put the grey tanks up in the frame there wouldn't be enough slope unless I really jacked up the front and I don't want to have to do that. And I want to keep the tanks between the axels so there is not to much weight in the back. I am already going to have to weld a crack in the frame and reinforce it.

But thanks for the ideas.....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote