Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Manzanita , Oregon
Is my Argosy normal?

New to all this, restoring a 76' argosy. I noticed the on the underside the last four feet of my trailer dips down about 4 inches, whereas my friends 73 is straight all the way back. Has mine been modified, or did they make them like that for some reason? I like hers better, seems less likely to scrape on steep driveways.
Brian Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is probably rear end separation. This is where the rear of the trailer rots away and the frame starts to droop as it separates from the shell. It is common on trailers over 20 yrs old and really common in 70's trailers.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Photo would help. But I agree with rear end separation, especially in the wet climate of Oregon. 4" is severe. If you got it towing it will slowly make it worse. Do you see any opening between the rear bumper and the body? If you bounce on the bumper does it move when the body does not. Do you see any bulges or wrinkles by the wheel wells. By the way, how's your axles?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
Should be normal . My 76 is the same way. I think they added gray water tanks in 74 and needed the additional room for tank and plumbing.
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I agree with Argosy Heir.
If you are referring to the way the belly pan has a step in it, along with the additional ( lower) frame member.
I believe this was a modification to accommodate the addition of a grey water tank below the floor.
If you check just ahead of the hinge on the rear storage compartment. Where the sheet metal meets the body of the coach. Any rear end separation would be obvious.
If you step on the rear bumper and a gap appears at this point. You have rear end separation.
If there is no movement. It would be wise to caulk along the joint to prevent water from running back on the sheet metal and under the body of the coach.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:37 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
It is either the drop down where the tanks go, you have rear end separation or a cracked frame. For rear end separation step on the rear bumper and see if there is any movement between the shell and the frame. If there is any noticeable movement you have separation. For the cracked frame look between the wheels very carefully and see if the frame is cracked at that point. If it looks like a stiffening plate has been added you are fine.

FWIW I have a 1975 and mine has all three

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote