Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2004, 01:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Is it worth the price? ?

I'm looking for a Service Manual for my ' 79 Sov. center bath. My question is : Where do I order one from ? , What does it cost ?, & Is it worth the purchase price ?

Have any of you guys had experience with them, or know where to get one ?

Old 01-20-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Photo copies of the original manuals for Airstream products are available from Secretarial Services. The contact information found below is quoted from the Vintage Airstream Club web site's Frequently Asked Question Section:

Quote:
Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?

A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information
Original manuals are also ocassionally listed on e-bay.

As far as them being "worth it?"...we have our original Owner's Manual, however Service Manuals were not available for '64 trailers, so I don't know. Any info we can find is useful though ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Shari

I will call Helen this week. Even though this is pretty expensive, I think I am going to get the service manual. I have run into so many questions that I feel like a service manual could help me resolve.

Thanks again for the speedy reply.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:29 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Owners manual and a complete file of all work done with receipts, and all appliance paperwork came with our trailer. We were lucky! Then, we needed to know something that WASN'T covered in the owners manual. So I ordered the bloodly expensive Service Manual. It has been a god-send! I di find it strange that the service manual did not show our configuration at all... front gaucho with monitor panel above, center bath, read double bed with the head at streetside. It shows the monitor panel somewhere around the refrigerator..... other than that, it is a great thing to have with your trailer. When we travel, it is either in the tow vehicle with us, or in the trailer, in the overheads over the gaucho. Got dh trained now to put it there when done reading it!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-21-2004, 05:59 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
CD on EBAY

Skip,
Ironically, I see a CD listed on EBAY every now ad then for a 1979 service manual. It usually sells for less than 20 dollars. You may want to keep an eye on that.
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:58 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Good suggestion..

Thanks Ken, I'll pay more attention to ebay.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Manual

I think that you will find the manual well worth the price. If nothing else it will give you diagrams of systems to start the trouble shooting with. One service call on the road can be worth the the price of a number of service manuals. Mine luckly came with one, but I have use it a lot, even after having owned a number of white boxes. Good luck.
CO_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I agree

If you only use the right tool a couple of times it's usually worth having it for the next time you ned it. After all, when you think @ it a SM is actually a tool.