Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Recollection

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
Jimmy,
Wow! Nice job of keeping it from getting worse. Noticing that your are a Fire Chief leads me to believe that your driving behavior did not participate in the mishap. Probably, what you did while the disaster was unfolding kept things from getting much worse worse.
I'm interested in how you got to where you ended up. Specifically, was there any fish-tailing or did the trailer nose yaw hard right and then push you off the road or did the truck come around to the right in the tail like the rear end was steering.
The tire deflation alone shouldn't have had enough force to cause that magnitude of yaw. I'm guessing that the drop on the passenger side height interacted with the weight distribution bars in a positive feedback loop where the weight distribution tried to compensate for the un-level rear end by steering the trailer.

One thing from my experience. If your hitch assmbly is a bolt on, have a close look at all of the bolt on points. HIdden damage in that area is oftern overlooked.
Thanks for the compliment and comments Flitzwhopper, but from looking at our rig I somehow don't feel like I did a very good job.

Honestly, everything happened so fast I don't know that I can accurately answer your questions. I seem to recall (again not possitive) the truck cutting left first and I probably corrected in order to miss oncoming traffic. I do recall the trailer (very briefly) swaying violently behind us, then we jack-knifed and slid sideways off of the roadway.

Thanks for the tip on the possible hitch damage, I'll check that out.

Also in another post there was mention of the truck lugs possibly being loose. I was present when the young man from the tire shop removed the deflated tire from the truck and the lugs were tight.

We would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their thoughts and comments, they are very much appreciated.
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:16 AM   #42
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I took a look at the valve stem pictured, and it is a snap-in truck valve stem. Good for 80 psi+. I prefer the bolt-together ones, they may leak, but they don't come blowing out of the hole.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:26 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
I prefer the bolt-together ones, they may leak, but they don't come blowing out of the hole.
Boy I'm glad you said that Terry - I was beginning to think the metal bolt in valves we put in the new trailer wheels and tires was the wrong decision.

Jimarq, I am so sorry about your accident. But, you are alive and there are other Airstream's to be owned - jump back in the saddle.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:01 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
That's why they call it an accident

Jimmy,
I hope this freak event doesn't turn you off to trailering. You won't see many instances of your kind of accident and this would be the place to find them.
A real man or woman takes responsibility for the things that happen to them. The fact that you kept the rig out of oncomming traffic and ended up with the rubber side down is the best outcome that could have been expected once events started to unfold. You did a great job!
It is a moot point and not essential to anything at this point other than curiosity but I'm sticking by my theory of the unloading of the passenger side and causing the weight distributiion system to steer the trailer. The driver side tires on the trialer could tell some of the story.
Just for the record... I'm not bad-mouthing weight distribution devices. However, they are not designed to compensate for diagonal forces out of the horizongal plane which should not happen under normal circumstances.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Sounds like you have a lot of advice about the Insurance Claim, repairs, total and things like that. I would like someone to tell you what caused the trailer to do that. You might want to Contact David Tidmore at Roger Williams in Weatherford and get his opinion on repairing the trailer and what may have caused the accident. Fischman
fischman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Overlander
When U say bolt in valve stems ,Do U mean like we used on the big trucks? I have seen them broken off but never blown out. I drove big rigs for 45 yrs never lost one. Once in a while U will get a leaker,but its rare.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #47
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
Overlander
When U say bolt in valve stems ,Do U mean like we used on the big trucks? I have seen them broken off but never blown out. I drove big rigs for 45 yrs never lost one. Once in a while U will get a leaker,but its rare.
Roger
The stems that are two piece, and clamp to the rim, don't blow out. They do occasionally, leak, like we have both said. The rubber ones, even the high pressure ones pictured above, do occasionally "leave the building". I have also broken off the bolt-together types, but have never seen one simply depart the hole.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #48
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Another View

I was traveling the Interstate when I observed a pickup truck overtaking me in the passing lane. I also observed his right rear tire was almost flat. I was running near 65 MPH and he was overtaking me. I am sure he had not realized the tire was so low of air. I hit my brakes hard and at the moment he was directly beside me, his tire blew out. His truck dipped right at first, then he corrected the steering and went left and into the center median, then crossed BOTH lanes and ended in the emergency lane on the right hand shoulder. This was a work truck loaded with tools etc in the back. Just a general observation here.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #49
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I am so glad that there were no serious injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimarq
Will this accident have any bearings on our insurance premiums in the future?
Possibly, but not necessarily. The weekend we picked up our Airstream I hit a guard rail coming out of the first campground we stayed in and put a dent down the curb side. Three weeks after picking up our new Safari a deer ran into the front curb side corner of our Airstream. I took it to the factory in JC because I wanted it put back in new condition with hard rivets. Labor was the largest expense because the interior had to be removed from the front corner to the rear corner on that side. That also happens to be the side with the refrigerator, closet, bunk beds, and wardrobe. The total for the two repairs was a little over $9,700. My deductible was $500.

The week I after went to pick up the trailer in JC, I received a notice from the insurance company. When I saw the envelope I just knew it was either a bill for higher premium or cancellation. When I opened it I was SHOCKED to read that they were LOWERING my premium and would be issuing a refund check for $97!!!!! I couldn't believe it. Two accidents within the first three weeks and they were lowering my premiums!

It just goes to show that miracles do happen.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I am so glad that there were no serious injuries.
Possibly, but not necessarily. The weekend we picked up our Airstream I hit a guard rail coming out of the first campground we stayed in and put a dent down the curb side. Three weeks after picking up our new Safari a deer ran into the front curb side corner of our Airstream. I took it to the factory in JC because I wanted it put back in new condition with hard rivets. Labor was the largest expense because the interior had to be removed from the front corner to the rear corner on that side. That also happens to be the side with the refrigerator, closet, bunk beds, and wardrobe. The total for the two repairs was a little over $9,700. My deductible was $500.

The week I after went to pick up the trailer in JC, I received a notice from the insurance company. When I saw the envelope I just knew it was either a bill for higher premium or cancellation. When I opened it I was SHOCKED to read that they were LOWERING my premium and would be issuing a refund check for $97!!!!! I couldn't believe it. Two accidents within the first three weeks and they were lowering my premiums!

It just goes to show that miracles do happen.
So, from this I get the impression that this is just like going to the carnival and throwing darts at balloons, the more you hit, the lower your rate goes.

Wow, I wish I had an insurance company like that .

Barry
Old 08-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Newport Beach , California
What a grim day for you. I have to know, how is Chester? Was he riding in your lap or do you have a harness or crate for him to use while you are on the road? Keep well, and I hope there is a fair resolution in your near future.
Cathy
Cathy&Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #52
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
So, from this I get the impression that this is just like going to the carnival and throwing darts at balloons, the more you hit, the lower your rate goes.

Wow, I wish I had an insurance company like that .

Barry
I've been with Farm Bureau for every thing I own since shortly after I graduated from college. I bought my first policy from them in 1987.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Jim & Marque
Well Its been a few days.What did your insurance carrier have to say about your unfortunate turn of events? Was Curious who your Insurance carrier is. All the best to U. Later
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Just wondered what the insurance company decided to do? I hope they have treated your fairly.

Barry