Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Is it common to paint an AS?

I've been following the forum for a while and checking the classifieds for AS trailers. I came across an ad today for a nice Excella 25' but the seller says it was just painted.

Is this common, to paint an AS? I thought a prime advantage of AS ownership was the fact that it had the aluminum exterior and didn't need painting.

If it is not uncommon, and you do paint it, how often must it be repainted?

Thanks
Rich
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In the used car world, new paint usually hides a lot of bondo work. So a newly painted Airstream should raise a lot of questions for a really closer inspection. The Argosy models were painted steel to begin with in their life.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The clear coat on Airstreams breaks down over time and sun exposure. To maintain its good looks, it will require repainting. P&S does an excellent job of it. They use the same type of clear coat the factory put on, prior to 1995. It will break down again over a number of years.

Some people have painted their Airstreams with Metallic Aluminum colored paint. They usually use Automotive paint without a clear coat. It usually lasts longer than the clear coats.

Purist polish their Airstreams and have to re-polish every year. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The Argosy models were painted steel to begin with in their life.
Only the upper endcaps of Argosy's were panted steel. All the remaining parts are just like Airstream, aluminum, but painted.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
BobThompson has his painted 25' for sale in classifieds. I would choose paint over polish as I have seen his on several occasions years apart. His thread on painting is very good (pics & text).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Common? No. Can it be done? Absolutely and if done properly with great results.

I leave mine au naturel, they have what we call APB... Airstream Pattern Baldness.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Bob's is a nice looking rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
BobThompson has his painted 25' for sale in classifieds. I would choose paint over polish as I have seen his on several occasions years apart. His thread on painting is very good (pics & text).
Yes, that's the one I was looking at, a very nice rig. We're newbies at this and are looking at the different models. 25' is the most I'd want to go. We have to determine where to put it since we have no place at the house to store it and not too many places close by.

It looks very nice and well taken care of. I'd just never read about them being painted. Like I said, a newbie, so much to learn.

Rich
Old 01-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The other attraction of that TT are the many well-conceived, subtle improvements. IMO, you would do well to acquire more photos of that rig for future comparisons.

On an annual basis this TT travelled quite a bit. So, not just updates, but functions as it should. BobThompson is an architect and would not have been daunted in any way in dealing with problems as they arose. IMO, this is as close to a "turn-key" A/S as you will likely find for its age and younger.

Good luck in your search. Note, too, that in response to a poll a few years back that AIR members considered TT's for purchase 1,200-miles away. It is not ever easy to find the right one.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
2005 Moraine View Rally. Trailer belongs to Big Al one of our Canadian members. I remember him telling me that the clear coat was so bad on this trailer new, the dealer painted it.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010027.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	203938  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Good luck in your search. Note, too, that in response to a poll a few years back that AIR members considered TT's for purchase 1,200-miles away. It is not ever easy to find the right one.

That's almost to the mile how far it is for us to Corpus Christi. We're retired now but still have one at home, college bound this fall. In Bob Thompson's listing he has a link to additional pictures on the AS website. I think it's the first trailer we've seen that we both agree on and still is within reach. He has done a nice job of keeping it up. The only thing that we see as an issue is the dining area has been replaced with the leather lounging chairs. We aren't sure if we'd like that or not, never having owned a trailer before. We like sitting at the table for breakfast, coffee and the newspaper (or laptop in my case).

This one trailer has had the two of us talking more about it than any others we've looked at. It will definitely be the benchmark by which all others are measured. I think if it was 6 months down the road we'd be driving down there. We need to get this one last kid in a college so we know how much "pie" we have left to spend.

Rich
Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
2005 Moraine View Rally. Trailer belongs to Big Al one of our Canadian members. I remember him telling me that the clear coat was so bad on this trailer new, the dealer painted it.

Jack
Thanks, Jack. I hope the dealer passed that information back to AS. I would hope AS quality control would be interested in seeing the trailer.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I've been following the forum for a while and checking the classifieds for AS trailers. I came across an ad today for a nice Excella 25' but the seller says it was just painted.

Is this common, to paint an AS? I thought a prime advantage of AS ownership was the fact that it had the aluminum exterior and didn't need painting.

Thanks
Rich
It is not common to paint an Airstream, & it typically kills the resale value, however providing the prep is done well & a quality two part automotive paint is used, you will have a finish that will last much longer than any of the clearcoats that Airstream has used over the years. The paint will also help seal leaks. Not my choice, but some like it.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Commerce , Texas
Is it common to paint an AS?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1390159831.278070.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	624.6 KB
ID:	203945

Argosy with. Custom paint job.
billymyers56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
That's almost to the mile how far it is for us to Corpus Christi. We're retired now but still have one at home, college bound this fall. In Bob Thompson's listing he has a link to additional pictures on the AS website. I think it's the first trailer we've seen that we both agree on and still is within reach. He has done a nice job of keeping it up. The only thing that we see as an issue is the dining area has been replaced with the leather lounging chairs. We aren't sure if we'd like that or not, never having owned a trailer before. We like sitting at the table for breakfast, coffee and the newspaper (or laptop in my case). Rich
After two years and 12 months travel with the dinette arrangement we couldn't wait to get rid of that dinette in favor of comfortable seating. Swivel recliners are the best thing we have done for our Airstream comfort.

We also like a dinette for very short periods, but in 25' this is a good way to go.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Thanks
Rich
Painting and Airstream silver, pays many rewards.

We have painted them metallic silver for over 40 years, without a single failure.

The key is proper preparation and using top quality materials.

Metallic silver for the shell and metallic charcoal for the underbelly wrap, was the favorite.

The intial cost far exceeds the cost of recoating, but the cost per year is many times lower than the cost of clearcoating every 5 to 7 years.

If an owner plans on keeping the coach forever in the family, then who cares what the resale may be, if that's a question.

In fact however, the resale value increases because in the long term, it's done, future expense is nothing more than polishing the trailer every year or so. But, the same is supposed to be done with the clearcoat. So, that expense cancels itself out.

Like many things, the quality of the paint job is the key.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
There is an article in the last issue of Airstream Life about the 1980-81 Caravelle. In the article it states the Caravelle could be painted as an option and the article even implies the paint codes were the same offered for all 1980 airstream trailers. I'm no expert and would agree painting isn't common, but it sounds like there could be a few factory painted Airstreams......
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #17

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
2005 Moraine View Rally. Trailer belongs to Big Al one of our Canadian members. I remember him telling me that the clear coat was so bad on this trailer new, the dealer painted it. Jack
Having seen BigAl's trailer I can attest to the beautiful look of his rig. You would not know that it is painted unless you look very closely.

There is no diminished value in my book and I would not hesitate to buy, or paint our rig if so inclined. but to each his own.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Thanks, Jack. I hope the dealer passed that information back to AS. I would hope AS quality control would be interested in seeing the trailer.
This trailer was built prior to the pre treated Alcoa panels that are used in the newer vintage trailer. This was back in the 90's when Airstream was wrestling with the formula of their clear coat. EPA emission regs caused them to reformulate which led to some bad clear coats. Hence the change to prefinished panels from Alcoa. I thought the work on this paint job was really done well. It's one good looking trailer when you look at it personally.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
After two years and 12 months travel with the dinette arrangement we couldn't wait to get rid of that dinette in favor of comfortable seating. Swivel recliners are the best thing we have done for our Airstream comfort.

We also like a dinette for very short periods, but in 25' this is a good way to go.
My dinette, in a 35', is pretty much wasted space. Another table/seating arrangement would be better such as more cabinetry and a food prep area/breakfast bar type setup.

In BobThompsons TT there are changes not apparent without close study. But I can tell you that the proportions of things feels just right. Many renovators try to better factory interiors without realizing the balances, the compromises necessary. However pretty, they usually miss the mark. This may not be evident until one is inside or even using it on the road. Not so, this TT. It is improved in aesthetic.

OP, try to view as many TT's as you can. There is simply no substitute.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Having seen BigAl's trailer I can attest to the beautiful look of his rig. You would not know that it is painted unless you look very closely.

There is no diminished value in my book and I would not hesitate to buy, or paint our rig if so inclined. but to each his own.

Kevin
Ditto. I think Kevin and I may have seen Big Al's trailer at one of the Falluminium Rallys a few years back. It's a beauty.

And I recall the same conversation that Jack had with Big Al. The clear coat was toast so Airstream (or the dealer?) painted it at little or no cost.

Done right, it's really nice.

Jim

On Edit: I wanted to echo what others have said about Bob's camper. It'll be in top condition. Will be a good buy for whoever buys it.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote