Old 01-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I've been following the forum for a while and checking the classifieds for AS trailers. I came across an ad today for a nice Excella 25' but the seller says it was just painted.

Is this common, to paint an AS? I thought a prime advantage of AS ownership was the fact that it had the aluminum exterior and didn't need painting.

If it is not uncommon, and you do paint it, how often must it be repainted?

Painting and Airstream silver, pays many rewards.

We have painted them metallic silver for over 40 years, without a single failure.

The key is proper preparation and using top quality materials.

Metallic silver for the shell and metallic charcoal for the underbelly wrap, was the favorite.

The intial cost far exceeds the cost of recoating, but the cost per year is many times lower than the cost of clearcoating every 5 to 7 years.

If an owner plans on keeping the coach forever in the family, then who cares what the resale may be, if that's a question.

In fact however, the resale value increases because in the long term, it's done, future expense is nothing more than polishing the trailer every year or so. But, the same is supposed to be done with the clearcoat. So, that expense cancels itself out.

Like many things, the quality of the paint job is the key.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
There is an article in the last issue of Airstream Life about the 1980-81 Caravelle. In the article it states the Caravelle could be painted as an option and the article even implies the paint codes were the same offered for all 1980 airstream trailers. I'm no expert and would agree painting isn't common, but it sounds like there could be a few factory painted Airstreams......

Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #17

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
2005 Moraine View Rally. Trailer belongs to Big Al one of our Canadian members. I remember him telling me that the clear coat was so bad on this trailer new, the dealer painted it. Jack
Having seen BigAl's trailer I can attest to the beautiful look of his rig. You would not know that it is painted unless you look very closely.

There is no diminished value in my book and I would not hesitate to buy, or paint our rig if so inclined. but to each his own.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Thanks, Jack. I hope the dealer passed that information back to AS. I would hope AS quality control would be interested in seeing the trailer.
This trailer was built prior to the pre treated Alcoa panels that are used in the newer vintage trailer. This was back in the 90's when Airstream was wrestling with the formula of their clear coat. EPA emission regs caused them to reformulate which led to some bad clear coats. Hence the change to prefinished panels from Alcoa. I thought the work on this paint job was really done well. It's one good looking trailer when you look at it personally.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #19
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
After two years and 12 months travel with the dinette arrangement we couldn't wait to get rid of that dinette in favor of comfortable seating. Swivel recliners are the best thing we have done for our Airstream comfort.

We also like a dinette for very short periods, but in 25' this is a good way to go.
My dinette, in a 35', is pretty much wasted space. Another table/seating arrangement would be better such as more cabinetry and a food prep area/breakfast bar type setup.

In BobThompsons TT there are changes not apparent without close study. But I can tell you that the proportions of things feels just right. Many renovators try to better factory interiors without realizing the balances, the compromises necessary. However pretty, they usually miss the mark. This may not be evident until one is inside or even using it on the road. Not so, this TT. It is improved in aesthetic.

OP, try to view as many TT's as you can. There is simply no substitute.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Having seen BigAl's trailer I can attest to the beautiful look of his rig. You would not know that it is painted unless you look very closely.

There is no diminished value in my book and I would not hesitate to buy, or paint our rig if so inclined. but to each his own.

Ditto. I think Kevin and I may have seen Big Al's trailer at one of the Falluminium Rallys a few years back. It's a beauty.

And I recall the same conversation that Jack had with Big Al. The clear coat was toast so Airstream (or the dealer?) painted it at little or no cost.

Done right, it's really nice.

On Edit: I wanted to echo what others have said about Bob's camper. It'll be in top condition. Will be a good buy for whoever buys it.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Gonzalez , Florida
I had a crappy homemade painted rock guard on the front, both sides of my Avion. Once we removed the paint, we found out why. A gash. I had the street side painted.
1978 28.5 Avion Model M
2010 Tundra XSP
Hensley arrow
Pensacola, Fla.
Go Noles!
Smokeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Thanks, Slowmover, for the information. I checked out the specs for Bob's TT and it is over the maximum for my tow vehicle. It does seem to be a very nice set up and I think I'm convinced about the better use of space. We'll have to look for a slightly smaller trailer.
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
We have an 87 Sovereign with the two tone blue tape stripe. I have been thinking about taking the tape off and using Krylon fusion brush able paint. I have used the Krylon fusion spray paint to paint the black ABS replacement lid for the propane bottle cover. Several people told me that no paint would stick to ABS plastic. The krylon fusion has stuck since 2011 with no flaking or bubbling, and best of all you do not have to prime
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Thanks for all the compliments on my painted trailer. The paint job is now almost 20 years old. Some of the clearcoat which is the topcoat has started to fail. Not bad for such a time frame.

Al and Jean

BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote