Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
Angry Interstate leak

While we were at the can opener rally, we had a lot of rain, and I noticed water pouring down the passengers side seat belt where it attaches. Has anyone else had this problem? I will need to take it to service, but thought that they could diagnose where the leak is originating easier if someone else has had the same problem.
Thanks for any input
Gloria,
gghayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Never had that problem (yet!) but if I had to hazard a guess, there are three possibilities:

1 - Damaged weatherstripping around the passenger door OR on the front edge of the sliding side door could allow water to enter. This is relatively easy to check by visual inspection, so that's the first thing to troubleshoot.

2 - Where the Fiamma F65 Eagle awning attaches to the van in front should be almost directly over the passenger-side B-pillar, where the seat belt also attaches. Improper sealing of the mounting bracket could cause the leak. This is harder to check, and requires that you climb up on the roof.

3 - There is a roof seam over the B-pillar as well. A leaking roof seam is a Mercedes problem, not an Airstream problem. These seams do not usually develop leaks until the van is several years old, and was more of a problem with the older T1N Sprinters. So this possibility is much less likely, but I mention it for the sake of completeness.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Uh-ohhh.....sorry to hear that.

Protag has given you good suggestions.

You would still be under warranty, correct? I would get it to an AS dealer and have them take a look at it.....

If you are still south, the guys in Gulfport are great.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Maggie
Old 01-16-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Gloria

I like Protag's ideas (I usually do.) Also wonder, since it might be a Mercedes issue instead of Airstream, if you might get the Mercedes dealer (Folger?) on So Independence Blvd in Charlotte to look at it? They're way closer to your location than the AS dealer and maybe not as back logged.

Good luck, let us know how you do.

Dreamstreamr
2005 International CCD 25SS
http://Dreamstreamr.com

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
Thank you all for the suggestions. I might start with the Mercedes dealer as they are a lot closer.
Gloria
gghayes is offline   Reply With Quote