Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
TJStew

2004 22' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Internet Boondockin'

I would love to know if anyone has overcome connecting to the Internet while in the middle of nowhere at a reasonable cost. I have looked into satellite and celluar systems. Any advice is welcome.
tjstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
If you find out I would love to know, I really want to get a handle on that one myself

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Short answer is yes.
Not very fast, but can be done.
You can use a cell phone to call your dialup home provider and connect. You will need to buy a special cable that runs under twenty bucks... check out gomadic dot com for cables and costs, they will also make a driver available for you. Nice people.
You will connect at 14.4, but if all you're doing is email..... well......
There are other ways to do it but they cost money!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-29-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Tried the Forums' "Search" function yet?

Welcome to the forums TJSTEW!

I'm not connecting to the net while traveling yet. But this has been talked about over and over -- I'd suggest the search function for these very forums. A lot of commercial campgrounds have Bluetooth or other wireless (prefer state parks myself...). Dial-up is a dinosaur IMHO. Please advise the rest of us what you find, keywords you used, etc. Certainly start with "internet" -- other ideas folks???

Very nice bumper-nose on the pup-avatar BTW. We have an Airedale and greatly appreciate what her nose gets into... !!!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
Not very fast, but can be done. You can use a cell phone to call your dialup home provider and connect.
Elizabeth in Iowa
So far....this is what we do....I keep hoping the satellite services will lower their rates . We have AOL, and you just need to find the most local of their access numbers, then dial in. Verizon provided us with a connectivity package. It works okay if you just download your email, make your replies, then make another call and upload. You will learn quickly what the busy times of day are.... We found the connection speed was faster than 14.4, but dial-up just plains sucks when you're used to DSL!

Some California state parks have installed wireless access in their campgrounds, but that isn't quite boondocking!!!

Cheers, Dee

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 01-29-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This is what we do. We turn off our cell phones, leave our laptops at home and enjoy being in the middle of nowhere.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #7
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Welcome

Hey TJ,

We're lucky in this forum to have so many helpful folks as experts in your question. One forum member (gadget) wrote a book about using technology while rving you could always do a search on his posts or the subject to find out if there's been something done that'll help you.
This is the http://www.digitalrv.net/ (website)
there's a thread here about his book.
Also, the publisher of Airstream Life, Rich Luhr, has a lot of interesting info on his blogs/pages http://tour.airstreamlife.com/?page=home
He does lots with computers while fulltiming with his family.
Best of luck with your quest!
Old 01-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
Short answer is yes.
Not very fast, but can be done.
You can use a cell phone to call your dialup home provider and connect. You will need to buy a special cable that runs under twenty bucks... check out gomadic dot com for cables and costs, they will also make a driver available for you. Nice people.
You will connect at 14.4, but if all you're doing is email..... well......
There are other ways to do it but they cost money!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Elizabeth,

Thanks for the information on Gomadic. We've been trying to ditch our wireless card for a few months now due to the $$$ cost per month. After visiting the Gomadic site we find that our Nokia phones may be impossible to find connection hardware that will mate up our laptop. We go phone shopping tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
If I must resort to using the slow cell phone connection, I don't worry about local dialup number! I dial the same number I would use at home! Makes it very simple. I either use my 'free' time, or if not during a free period, keep track of cell usage and deduct from my ccount.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Afraid I'll have to resort to slow dial up and use the number I use at home as well. I bank a lot of minutes so that will help. Maybe some day I'll get a dish. Any more suggestions would be welcome and thanks again.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
We have used a Verizon Broadband/Nationwide Access for more than a year now, bot when we travel and while at home in Arizona. If we are anywhere near one of 52+ major cities where Verizon broadband is available our speed is around 400kps (just a little slower than standard DSL). When we are out of broadband range but still in Verizon's nationwide access areas our speed drops to about 110-120kps -- still a lot faster than dial-up. Use time is unlimited and their customer service has been great. There are places where neither service is available -- then we hope for WiFi or do without.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hey, Dave
I took one look at your avatar and thought for a second that it was the famous Duerer print. Nope, it isn't, but still pretty nice. Here's Duerer's:

Lynn
Old 01-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi All,

I use a PC Air Card from Cingular wireless. It's like getting another cell phone connection for your PC. Works OK (faster than dial-up) but it's not Broadband. If you are in any area of the country that has Cingular service, then you can connect. The card was free (with a 2 year contract, $200 VALUE) and the UNLIMITED service is $59.95 a month. I am always on the road and would be lost without this type of service.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:33 PM   #14
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The cell solution is fine if you are in an area covered by cell signals. Some of the places I go dont have cell coverage

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #15
_

. , .
not the perfect solution......

here is what i do.....

carry the laptop and wireless card.

when possible find a hot spot while close to metro areas or college towns....man they are everywhere now.

when rural......i stop in the local library......even really small spots have them.....or the senior centers in the tiny tiny locales....usually they will just let you use their computer....

if i'm camped way off the grid, but within bike riding distance of the small towns, i cycle into town and find the library or s/center....or ask someone if i can 'check my email'....being on a bike, folks become more open to helping......and there's no trailer for them to ask questions about .

on one ride the local library was closed t/r/s but the librarian was working in the next town, open on those days....so i rode twice as far as i planned but still got the internet connection....then looped back to the trailer.

i'd like to add one of the two way satellite systems because cell towers aren't an issue....but they are still a little pricey unless full timin'.

http://eduscapes.com/mm/motosat/ or
www.motosat.com

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
The cell solution is fine if you are in an area covered by cell signals. Some of the places I go dont have cell coverage
We have an amplifier and an antenna on the AS....makes a big difference. Where we live and travel, it also makes a difference which cell phone service you use. Hint: the ONLY cell phone service that works in Yosemite National Park is Verizon! When we become fulltimers , maybe I will take a look at Verizon's broadband again....thanks, Grizzy!

Cheers, Dee

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 01-29-2006, 10:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Connecting to the Internet while in the middle of nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstew
I would love to know if anyone has overcome connecting to the Internet while in the middle of nowhere at a reasonable cost. I have looked into satellite and celluar systems. Any advice is welcome.
Hey TJ,
Cellular actually works pretty well especially if you have Verizon service.
Verizon has 3 different access methods;
Q2n, Quick to Net, works at 14.4kb country wide where ever digital service is available. This is slow but does work. No additional cost on nights & weekends.
1xRTT service is about 100kb and is available over about 50 % of the country. This is primarily what I use. No additional cost on nights & weekends.
EVDO broadband is about 400 kb and is available only in major cities so far. This is an extra cost option.
Coverage maps are available on the Verizonwireless web site.

With all of these options, Verizonwireless is functioning as your Internet Service Provider. If you use web based e-mail like Microsoft's "Hotmail" or Yahoo's Mail or Google's Gmail, you can have e-mail anywhere with no need to dial your home Internet Service Provider.

More info on all cellular options is available at the Yahoo group;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/InternetByCellPhone/

I have found that it helps a great deal to install an external cell phone antenna on top of your Airstream for greatly improved service in remote areas.

PS: Come to one of the WBCCI New Mexico Unit Rallies and I will be glad to show you how well it can work.
http://www.newmexicorvparksandcampgr...CI/rallies.htm
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #18
TJStew

2004 22' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thanks... I have looked into Verizon a little, but am afraid to coverage is too limiting for my desires. I want to surf from places like Chaco Canyon, Jemez Springs, and the San Juan. Directway looks interesting... but the $$'s.

I look forward to meeting you soon. My wife and I are new AS owners and will join wbcci in the near future.

Cheers!
TJ
tjstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:50 PM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstew
Thanks... I have looked into Verizon a little, but am afraid to coverage is too limiting for my desires. I want to surf from places like Chaco Canyon, Jemez Springs, and the San Juan. Directway looks interesting... but the $$'s.

I look forward to meeting you soon. My wife and I are new AS owners and will join wbcci in the near future.

Cheers!
TJ
I bought my TT from someone who stored it at the San Juan (Abe's boat storage) and my fly fishing club also makes a yearly trip to the river. Forget the cell phone, coverage is very poor. I have Verizon and the only spot to get a signal is on top of the dam.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Treo 650

With the TREO 600 Cingular, and PDAnet software, I get 57k connection speeds. I am constantly using it on the road. Most people that are still on dial up don't even connect at 57k.

My buddy, with a TREO 650 and Cingular service, using PDAnet I get 192k connection speeds. That is very good considering it is unlimited data for $29 a month. It is blue tooth as well.

SYDTR!

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote