Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Personally I would remove all of the existing primer, do what you can if anything to remove any stickiness. Re-prime with a primer made specifically for vinyl or plastic, such as Chromatic vinyl primer #5004 made by Spraylat sign coatings. Contact your local sign shop, they can buy it from there sign supplier and sell it to you. Once that primer is on you can use just about any paint you want for a top coat.

Later - Derek
Old 07-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Smile I think I've got it!

I did a section of the unit with the oil based Kilz and what a difference! Just comparing the surface that I had just re-scrubbed and repainted this week with the water based Kilz, and the section done with the oil base Kilz you can immediately feel the difference.

The new section is perfectly dry and no tackiness at all, and the other part is showing the usual slight stickiness.
Yippee! I think I've finally gotten it right!
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Please keep us informed of your progress. Painting my nasty interior skins is just down the road as soon as I get them removed. I planned on priming them with Kilz while I have them out and I was sure disappointed in your first results.

I stock and sell four different types of Kilz and was undecided which to use. I know that sounds bad for someone "in the business" but no one knows everything. Sounds like I better stick with the old fashion oil base Kilz.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior paint cleaning