Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Austin , Texas
Interior condensation of windows

I recently spent three days camping in near freezing temperatures at a State Park in Texas, and ran the furnace on and off to maintain acceptable temperatures. This created major water condensation on all interior windows, which was very visible from outside as well.
This did not appear to be the case with the trailers on each side of me, as their windows remained clean and dry the entire time.
Am I doing something wrong, or is there something I can do to avoid such condensation in future?
PAL07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Keep a window or vent open slightly. Avoid allowing moisture from showers, cooking, or waning to build up.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Got to have a little fresh air flow. I also use a Dehumidifer at the house. It is pretty loud so have not used it while camping.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Post #2 and #3 are correct. Colder weather and using the furnace on propane or heat pump using hookup electricity can get your interior temperature into the comfort zone. Too cold, which is relative to each individual and humidity within the area you are, will find a happy minimum of comfort.

You must vent the interior while heating. Sounds counter productive, but if you want to be comfortable, there is nothing pleasant with 100% humidity within the sealed up Airstream. They are remarkably air tight. Not 100%, but maybe 85 to 90%.

In the desert around Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas even... you still have to vent the interior. Above 3500 feet less venting and above 6,000 feet even less venting is required to keep the interior moisture below the condensation upon your interior windows. Especially when you have curtains drawn, the lower portion will ice up in temperatures below 30F.

Cooking inside the trailer... you had better be running the vent over the cook top and the ceiling vents... somewhat. This introduces a lot of moisture. Taking a shower... you are going to be swimming in 100% moisture.

Full Timers who experience freezing temperatures at high humidity parts of the country, know first hand about venting and heating the interior. It is critical for your feeling comfortable or having everything feeling... wet from air humidity. You are in a pretty much sealed container pouring moisture into the air. A dog or two and you are looking at higher humidity inside than outside... and it is raining.

There is no short answer to solve your problem. We carry a remote weather station when we are parked. We know temperature and humidity, inside and outside the trailer. Pull the curtains and expose the windows. Fire up the furnace and run the vents. Counter intuitive, but necessary. The next thing is to take your showers before sunset, or at the camp shower.

We have spend years camped at 5,000 to 7000 feet elevation in the Rocky Mountains. Humidity outside can be 3% to 15%. Heat the inside and you are sitting in dry air and enjoying it. In 75% exterior humidity... you really have to get good at keeping the interior comfortable.

I know this is a bit "windy", but a chapter in a book could be written on keeping the interior of your trailer... tolerable. Once the temperature gets below 20F, you are pretty much going to regret even owning a trailer.

A 25 foot is an excellent trailer size to keep the interior comfortable. Once you get into the giants of Airstream... maybe these owners can add their techniques.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Austin , Texas
Condensation

Ray, thank you for taking the time to share all the information you provided. You appear to have a lot of experience with this topic as well as others. It all make much sense and I will employ these tactics on next trip.
Will post results.
PAL07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Running a portable fan to circulate the air can help. All other things being equal, condensation is more likely in still air than in moving air.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We keep a plug in fan or a vent fan on almost all of the time ... more so when cooking or showering ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:07 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
We learned fast on our first trip cold and rain for three days. Was like a rain forest inside. Since then vent cracked open will take care of most of it. Also the damper it is the colder it will seem.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My dehumidifier is currently pulling over a quart of water a day from my trailer. Outside humidity is sky high. The dehumidifier is set for 35%.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-03-2015, 07:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Nice sized unit and very effective unit for RV use.

NewAir AD-250 25 Pint Portable Room Dehumidifier

and

Dayton 1UHG2 Dehumidifier Control, Plug In 120 V

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That is exactly the set up I have. The combination works very well at keeping the humidity and condensation at manageable levels.