Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal327
Darkspeed,
Did you use any other type of insulation with this application?
I used 10gallons @45$ per gallon on a 31' with a little left over.

I sprayed 1.75" of spray foam on top of the ceramic for added insulation.

Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Who did you buy the ceramic insulation from? I tried getting in touch with the company that makes it but they never answered. Did you order it online? Thanks!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Hsc 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminitus View Post
Who did you buy the ceramic insulation from? I tried getting in touch with the company that makes it but they never answered. Did you order it online? Thanks!
From a PM from Dark

paste starts here

This is the contact info of where I buy from

-----------------------------------
The spread rate for Super Therm is 90sq/ft/ga
The spread rate for HSC1000 is 60 sq/ft/ga

Price Super Therm $75.00/ga., HSC1000 $42.00/ga

Thanks
Dennis Watters
Superior Coatings International
805-200-8814
-----------------------------

Ask Veggibullet I showed him the coated 200w bulb last night. I don't have any left to do you a sample.

End paste

Also

Hello,

I am the Distributor for HSC-1500 in your area. Please provide project information, and amount required.

My contact information is set forth below. Please feel free to contact me.

Hal McElroy
National Distributor & Authorized Representative
10 Kensington Ct.
Conroe, Texas 77304
Mobile: 832.683.1123
Fax: 832.415.9448
E-mail: hmcelroy@superiorcoatingsusa.com
www.spicoatings.com
Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
I got a sample of HSC and plan to do some tests. I am skeptica,l but after last summer I am prepared to remove my interior and apply the HSC if it works.
My current insulation is the bubble foil and hard foam (not sure the brands).
I do know that if I can at least get a thermal break on the ribs, that would provide a great improvements.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
I got a sample of HSC and plan to do some tests. I am skeptica,l but after last summer I am prepared to remove my interior and apply the HSC if it works.
I do know that if I can at least get a thermal break on the ribs, that would provide a great improvements.
Did you put the bubble and foam in? Is it really worth the effort to remove the inside skin twice???
Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Hi guys
I will like to stand for the job that DarkSpeed has done.
that ceramic insulation is crazy good! I had been in the inside of that trailer at noon with Florida full sun and is awesome.
I also placed my hand on that 200W light bulb where it has a little dot of that ceramic and you can't feel anything.
All we can say is that you can afford it you won't regret!
Regards
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
couple questions here :

- using the reflectix foil: do you guys just glue it to the skin ? if so, what do you use for it?
do i have to use anything else with the foil , ie Styrofoam ?

- if using the spray in ceramic stuff, can i use it just by itself ,without the extra foam spray in ?

thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #22
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
I did not glue in the foil or rigid foam board but wedged it in and used foil tape where needed and between sheets and to secure it to the ribs.

My initial test with HSC-1500 is to apply it to half a piece of aluminum (bottom) and place a light (60 watt bulb, kind of light that clamps on, has a cone reflector, bulb not touching aluminum, but about 1 inch away) on top. After about an hour I could place my hand on the bottom. It was very warm but I could hold it there.

I moved the light to the top of the non coated side and after about an hour, I could not hold my hand to the aluminum as it was too hot.

My plan is to make up 1' x 1' test squares with both inner and outer skin and a rib and test the various insulation methods placing the test panels out in the sun and using a laser thermometer.

Is it worth the effort to remove the interior? I do know yet. That is why I want to test.

I live in Texas. Last summer I would say the trailer was unusable. But I only had a 13500 BTU portable AC. I do know that when I placed my hand on the ceiling skin, it was very hot and especially where the ribs were, so hot that holding your hand on the skin was almost painful. I have to do something.

So, my plans are, first, intrigued by Darkspeed, to test and maybe use HSC. Escpcially as a thermal barrier on the ribs.

Second, rationalize that I live in Texas, buy a rooftop AC on my 1950 FC, though it will look out of place, I have no choice if I want to use the trailer.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
I did not glue in the foil or rigid foam board but wedged it in and used foil tape where needed and between sheets and to secure it to the ribs.

My initial test with HSC-1500 is to apply it to half a piece of aluminum (bottom) and place a light (60 watt bulb, kind of light that clamps on, has a cone reflector, bulb not touching aluminum, but about 1 inch away) on top. After about an hour I could place my hand on the bottom. It was very warm but I could hold it there.

I moved the light to the top of the non coated side and after about an hour, I could not hold my hand to the aluminum as it was too hot.

My plan is to make up 1' x 1' test squares with both inner and outer skin and a rib and test the various insulation methods placing the test panels out in the sun and using a laser thermometer.

Is it worth the effort to remove the interior? I do know yet. That is why I want to test.

I live in Texas. Last summer I would say the trailer was unusable. But I only had a 13500 BTU portable AC. I do know that when I placed my hand on the ceiling skin, it was very hot and especially where the ribs were, so hot that holding your hand on the skin was almost painful. I have to do something.

So, my plans are, first, intrigued by Darkspeed, to test and maybe use HSC. Escpcially as a thermal barrier on the ribs.

Second, rationalize that I live in Texas, buy a rooftop AC on my 1950 FC, though it will look out of place, I have no choice if I want to use the trailer.
Third, move to Southern California and hang out with the cool crowd of Streamers here, and go to the coast during the heat waves.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Ceramic ionsulation has been around for quite a while,and we've used it in our hotrods severals times. Do a search on it at google, it's amazing how cheaply you can make it.
Just sayin'
Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
I'm so glad I found this thread. I read about HSC on Dark's thread but forgot what it was and where I saw it.

I found out how important the insulation issue is when I went to Arizona on my first trip after I restored my 65 GT. When it was 90 outside, it was 110 inside. I didn't think I needed AC because I live in MT.

Now, I plan to insulate my 55 Safari and was wondering what is best. I was thinking Prodex, but I like Darkspeeds solution.

I like the layering idea with HSC on the aluminum, then polyurethane foam. My question is: I have heard that polyurethane foam will turn to powder due to road vibration and rubbing. Is that true? If so, could I fix that by attaching a reflective foil to the foam after it dries? Kinda like a sammich with HSC, then foam, then reflective foil. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Wedged-in-foam likely will sag at various points during the sheets' careers - the foam will relax and the aluminum will oxidize and gravity will tug it out of position. Semi-monocoque construction is rigid but often will oscillate, even if a very low frequency, ringing like a dull slow-motion aluminum bell and that would really be the potion-of-motion for wedged in sheets of foam. I'm not saying don't wedge it in but do provide some tack-welds of adhesive to keep everything in place seven to ten years out.

Alumina and Silica fiber ceramic insulation requires a 'firing' up to its working temperature range to drive off organic binders that keep the products supple and installable without damaging the felt or boards - and many product lines have very little strength of their own when it comes to long term service... Oh and most turns into paper-towel consistency when wet.

I went with the hollow-ceramic bead type paint-on insulation as a outer shell interior side insulation booster, just waiting for warm weather here.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
Thanks Wabbiteer. I was thinking of more like a spray on Polyurethane foam like Corebond. I've seen people who use it in Airstreams. They say its works great. I just wondered if there were any pitfalls long term. Of course, I would seal interior rivets & seams with Trempro 635 first.

is HSC 1500 the Alumina and Silica fiber insulation that you are talking about in your 2nd paragraph?

What is the brand of the hollow ceramic bead type paint on insulation that you used?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I'm tempted by the new foams too. Sprayfoamdirect.com is especially tempting.

HSC-1500 (by way of 3rd-hand observation) is about like marshmallow cream that one paints on that may best be applied with a painting texture-mix applicator gun.

I went with a dry bead that is added to the paint of your choice, hytechsales.com is where I got it - I did splurge for some of their pre-mixed aluminum flake radiant barrier paint to do the interior roof-ceiling with.

I may yet bite the bullet and get the HSC-1500, then spray-in-foam.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote