Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
We had the cathedral ceiling of an old bungalow spray foamed that I am restoring with my son.

We chose it because 8 or 9" of fiberglass in a large 2x10 ceiling does not meet code. They sprayed in about 5" of the stuff right onto the bottom of the old roof deck. It sealed all the cracks and crevices, and no need for a separate vapor barrier. The difference over the fiberglass was immediately noticeable, and a dramatic difference.

It got rid of all the drafts, no more heat radiating down from the ceiling. The house is noticeably less humid. The A/C is now two degrees lower, keeping the same comfort level.

We did have a big leak when a storm blew a section of paper off the roof before they got the new shingles on. The foam did not absorb water, which found its way down by the wall.

It is flexible and pliable.

Fantastic stuff!

2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1972 31' Sovereign
Lake Elsinore , California
Thanks e5 for the input and reminders. I plan on using the red plasterers tape on the faces of the ribs. It is a vinyl slick tape with a gum adhesive so plaster doesn't stick too bad and then it peels off of the masked surface without any real residue.

I hope it works. I think it will. I will keep in touch.

I know many of the long time AS builder love Vulcum {sp} but every where on my trailer that was sealed with the gray vulcum it is torn and not sealed. I have little to no faith in the product as a long term seal. I am in the process of scraping off all of the vulcum I can get off and cleaning the surface with some solvent and the going over every single seam amd rivet with a commercial grade polyurethane sealnt that is used for installing the glazing windows and aluminum frames in high rise building. It should be a pretty long term and quality fix for possible future leaks. Coupled with the other solutions I have done I think we should be good for a long time.

MacDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Same type of Trailer

Hi all I have a '78 Sovereign and I am going to fulltime in it in Michigan. Brrr. So I've decided to replace the floor in the back bedroom and spots in the front room and while I am at it insulate the open areas. I am following this tread to see more options for insulation. Obviously the higher R value of an insulation is important seeing as how the Michigan winters are terribly cold. We are trying to do this on a budget (lol) but have found that the estimated cost/ time are going up everyday. I have never done anything like this before but it will be an interesting adventure to say the least. Anyhow tips and advice are always welcome to an Airstream noob.

DeLaney is offline   Reply With Quote