Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Installing new outrigger on frame

Ok I cut off old twisted piece and did some grinding to smooth it down. I left maybe 1/4 of old weld in place. My worries are to not penetrate frame to much maybe 2 second spot weld to hold in place then run simple straight line down on inside for weld. My welding is Harbor Freight $109 90amp with wire. There are too settings 60amp and 90amp. There are more welding shops in my area then I can count. Large welding store not to far. I will show the area needing welding when my delivery from AS shows up. I think the engineers want the outriggers to be lightly welded to frame so they can flex little bit. Metal I tore out is kind soft 1/8s thick. I will have photos shortly. AS sent me wrong side LH and I need RH so I will use LH for reference pictures. Still waiting on RH

Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Orem , Utah
here is picture hard to see old weld

right now I am trying to figure out how to get ground for welder

Also I just noticed new piece is wider

I fixed the floor on top with gorilla glue and new pieces wood. Tire blow out thanks goodyear. Pictures look worse than actual damage. Should be good for another 30 years. AS kind pisses me off can not seem to get right parts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0425.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	154015  

Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Looks like you need to replace the floor. What happened to the original outrigger?

Perry
Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Been there and done that - and then cut out my first tries and re-did them when the shell-off happened.

AS tacked on the outriggers as cheaply as possible, your three or four stitch welds to anchor it should be adequate, tacking top and bottom flange edges and stitch up the verticals. Hard to test if the welds 'take' with everything in place - I ground the first stick welds down to make sure the penetration and fill didn't have voids then laid in a second bead to make it 'pretty', maybe your wire feed welder does a better job.

You're going to char some flooring - wedges to lift the wood away from the welded area and slip in a piece of exhaust gasket or similar might keep the wood from cratering too badly there.

A very important thing is getting the outrigger level - a bottle jack and block of wood to lift the outside floor edge so it doesn't limit the outrigger into a drooping set is good. Do not trust the frame rail and outrigger to be square & true, using a metal file or grinder to fit the outrigger to the remaining weld/frame angle is time well spent.

The ground should be close to the weld, plenty of bare (rusty) metal shown in the picture (axle mounting flange, belly skin attachment angle) a little wire brush and the first time current passes through it will usually burn away any resistance.

If your trailer has the pink-fiberglass crushed between floor & frame your replacement outrigger will want to drift higher on the frame to make up for that missing thickness - Don't let that happen, take the time to ensure the outrigger top is even with the frame, maybe with a metal stop-shim inserted between the frame and floor then tack the outrigger on at the bottom - remove shim and tack top.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Orem , Utah
Worked on it some more

I used felt pen with qtip to mark hole for ply wood good simple tip to get straight hole for bolt. Metal is easy to drill, now I have 2 bolts holding it up into place pretty straight. There is some gap between the frame and new piece some spots. May need to hit area with wire wheel and grind little more old weld off. Now I think it would be ok to weld, would alum piece be enough to shield plywood? I have never welded before unless you could spot welding in High School or creating ARC with battery lol. I could take this over to welder and let them have at it or give it a try. If piece does not have good ground it would heat up at small point of ground correct. I plan on unplugging TV and flipping all breakers off is this even a concern.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
An alternative could be just spraying the wood with water and not turning your back on it after you weld until you know no open flame will appear

Quote:
2 bolts holding it up into place pretty straight
You may not ever be back into it, but someone some when will be, let your conscious be your guide. Having everything aligned and ready to go would make that a $10 weld job but the experience would be priceless for you to stitch it up

To bolt it effectively you need access to the top, behind the inner liners. If you're very good a two-inch hole saw at the correct location on the liner, being sure to miss the 1~" or so floor channel, would be adequate - then set a square patch piece over the hole and keep going...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
The weld should be easy. Just make sure to grind the area of the weld with an angle grinder. You can also grind out a little spot on the frame for ground. Do a couple test welds on a scrap piece of metal (same gage) to dial in your machine before you weld your outrigger. I learned on a Harbor Freight cheepy. Make sure you get the feed rate and temp right or it can bind up on you, or blow holes in your weld. Wabbiteer is correct its all in the set up, the welding is quick.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Orem , Utah
Job is done

My neighbor few houses down is welder lol. Full of tools in his garage with 220amp welder he banged it out in no time 5minutes maybe less. Now this repair took quite a lot of time and effort on my part. They were going to charge $400 to repair I claim fowl. There repair must have been real chity. Getting the bed out and back in was a chore. I also put new carpet in storage area was planning on diamond plate but guy doing plasma cutting ruined it. Lot of effort and money not a lot to show. I tried harbor freight 90amp welder on scrap piece lot of popping only 15amp service my welds were less than ok. Now I have $300 bill from AS for parts 2 outriggers first order sent wrong one. Extra long piece banana wrap I had to cut,alum fender which I never ordered but paid for it. 30 ft d channel,20 ft 1 inch alum chrome belt molding. I do have some advice on ordering parts for newer AS there pictures and arrows do not really represent the parts your going to receive. AS did do nice job of packaging even gave me extra length for every item but wrong outrigger messed up my week. It is Dos Equis amber time to chill out. Funny I asked my neighbor when and how much he said $15 I said I was thinking $20 or $25 hehe. I really wanted to complete this and yes I paid him more, worth it's weight in gold for me.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think I would make my own outrigger before going through all that.

Perry