Old 10-07-2016, 06:05 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Do you have any suggestions on where to find airstream parts?

Dbarnettjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
I did the paint stripe along the belt line filiform corrosion. I knew that I could never match the silver, so went darker gunmetal gray and "sealed" the paint edge with 1/4" vinyl pinstripe. I think that it looks pretty good and didn't cost much at all. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475892109.421034.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	273064

On an island in Vermont

sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Looks very nice! A good solution.
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Yes, I like the look and it is an option. The trim option is not difficult. I had a few areas too that had filiform besides the belt line. One area was the stove vent. The corrosion extended out a ways so I ended up buying a stainless stove vent, some Airstream aluminum and making a squared frame of aluminum to go around the stove vent which I riveted on. The other spot was around the teardrop lights.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Will be a new owner of a 2007 Safari 23 in couple days, if all goes well.
One of the first projects will be installing the beltline trim that I have noticed on the new 2017/8? 23D's, since the trailer has some filiform corrosion in the back along the belt line seam.

I thought about taking it to a dealer for them to do the work, but the price was well above the cost of a major solar install, so I hope to do this myself.

Fellow I spoke with at the dealership was quite helpful and also quoted a rough materials price of $500 and said that the channel was to be riveted on? Has anyone done this?
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #20
Vantair

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Beltline addition replace from filiform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
Fellow I spoke with at the dealership was quite helpful and also quoted a rough materials price of $500 and said that the channel was to be riveted on? Has anyone done this?
YES! We had exact same filiform and belt line issue with our then newly acquired 2005 25ft International CCD SS. Got weary of looking at it and decided to do what we could to minimize the "look".

Couldn't find any videos how to do so like a true Airstreamer...did it ourselves. Ha !

Have complete (10min) video of our process and end results. To us, vast improvement on our rig and upgrades the previous look 100%.

Will try and post on YouTube shortly.

Vantair
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6932.PNG
Views:	107
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	293214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6931.PNG
Views:	86
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	293215  

Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #21
Vantair

Beltline Add - You Tube video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantair View Post
YES! We had exact same filiform and belt line issue with our then newly acquired 2005 25ft International CCD SS. Got weary of looking at it and decided to do what we could to minimize the "look".

Couldn't find any videos how to do so like a true Airstreamer...did it ourselves. Ha !

Have complete (10min) video of our process and end results. To us, vast improvement on our rig and upgrades the previous look 100%.

Will try and post on YouTube shortly.

Vantair

Here you go !

https://youtu.be/GjXFifgm0qc
Old 11-08-2017, 02:28 AM   #22

2018 28' International
Temecula , California
Quote:
Thank you for the video! It helped me so much!
lwolfe63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Wonderful video. A few questions if I may.
- Did you just spray corrosion X on and wipe, or was there more to it?
- Approx cost for the materials?
- Was there any concern with getting it home, looks a little tricky to me at 16ft.
- Which Silaflex did you use and was there any concern about the new hole you drilled being completely sealed to water.
- I noticed you using rivets, but have also seen screws used, just curious if there was a reason for one over the other.
- When you installed the chrome strip, how did you cut it when you were at the final inch?
Looks great ! and nicely done.

My fliliform while being extensive, doesn't appear that it will extend above the strip except in one place. I look forward to installing this strip.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #24
Vantair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
Wonderful video. A few questions if I may.
- Did you just spray corrosion X on and wipe, or was there more to it?
A: Sprayed on toothbrush to only rub around beltline filiform.
- Approx cost for the materials?
A: Believe 500.00 to 600.00 from nearest stocking AS dealer for 4)16ft extrudeds and 100ft spool of flexible matching self adhesive chrome insert. This was the factory spec for newer models that our 2005 didn't originally have. Guess better to hide the potential corrosion and less answering to mad owners.
- Was there any concern with getting it home, looks a little tricky to me at 16ft.
A: Yes. but worked it out with a combo of strap-on roof racks and hitch goal post mounts allowing for extending support along with some strapped along rigid shipping cardboard strips/bungees. (can see brief pic of all mounting beginning of video).
- Which Silaflex did you use and was there any concern about the new hole you drilled being completely sealed to water.
A: Sikaflex 221 grey. but told factory just does ulta thin bead on top (not bottom) to allow airing/drying of moisture. Ultimately we did very little as to not have smears all over top. Sticky and thin viscosity stuff. but cures in few days.
- I noticed you using rivets, but have also seen screws used, just curious if there was a reason for one over the other.
A: Rivets were suggested offering lower profile head and super secure as with mounting like factory's lower rub rail and rest of rig. Less chance of protruding "bumps" in the final chrome strip afterwards. Suppose right screw could work too.
- When you installed the chrome strip, how did you cut it when you were at the final inch?
A: For the extruded aluminum which was more of a concern being ridgid, used a decent hand mitre and carefully hand measured 3x, hand sawed and fitted. Chrome strip, eye'd it up and carefully used a hand pvc pipe cutter
Looks great ! and nicely done.

A: Thanks ! Was concerned ourselves before starting but just went slow and easy with two sets of hands (loving wife) knowing it would look better than it was. Knew we couldn't be the only ones having this issue. When not finding any helpful "how to" videos or assistance out there, was pretty bummed thus put it out there for us-like folks.

example

My fliliform while being extensive, doesn't appear that it will extend above the strip except in one place. I look forward to installing this strip.
Hello Fred L.

A: Answers to all your questions above
Dirk
2014 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 4X4 int. 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 1X0..no sway control
Old 11-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nicely done!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Quote:
Hello Fred L.

A: Answers to all your questions above
Dirk
Thank you Sir. I suspect this spring we will do the same and post our story and pics.
Appreciate the motivation !