Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
xxxx , Delaware
Inspection in South Jersey

Finding my rotted floor has worried me and I think I want to go somewhere and have my 76 tradewind looked over just to tell me "this is good" or "this is bad". Especially when it comes to the big, potentially dangerous items: axles, tanks, propane lines etc. I am able to fix things but may not be too knowledgable about whether or not they need to be fixed (until its glaringly obvious).

So my question is does anyone have experience with these three rv centers and are any of them proficient in Airstream knowledge and do they need to be?

These are closest to where my AS is residing:

Stones camping world, Berlin
White horse Rv center, williamstown
Camping world, swedesboro

Thanks in advance.
merrypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You might be better off contacting Frank. He is not that far away.
Frank's Trailer Works Blog: The harem grows Airstream #O 6039

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Hey welcome to the rotted floor club, or should I say unfound leaks group! You found the results of the not so repaired leaks but as usual it is not the end of the dream just means you are about to learn a lot. In the general repair section there is a check list or inspection list that you can download but you have a project with potential and it will require some work. First in your case (you own it) dropping the belly pan is recommended and does not require much space so if yours is like most (more than one size rivet) get the necessary drill bits goggles and face mask (if you don't like the taste of mouse turds) and start drilling. Find a cheap wood chisel for the rivets that just won't drill out. Once done you can inspect the frame and along with the tanks and pluming. Don't damage the belly pan if you avoid it because even if you are not going to reuse it you can use it fora template. Take lots of before and after pictures for memory purposes no matter how boring and when in doubt whip the camera out and snap a pic. With aluminum rivets and band aids this will cost between 3 and 600. Bucks add beer or booze and 20 bucks for the swear bank. Shell on or off you want to remove the lower parts of the inside walls and since you are replacing all of the copper with PEX this will be a breeze! I am thinking that broken copper water lines were a part of the problem. When you get that far you will almost be done. Keep us posted and feel free to ask questions any time we will also listen to you vent (helps us to remember that we are not the only ones)
Cliff
Old 04-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Oh yes and frank is awesome and will be bluntly honest seek him out and add his family to your Christmas card list! He will also try to talk you off of the ledge but he can not help til you ask!
Cliff
Old 04-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Pm him @ 62overlander code word "help"!